Thread: Drum fills...

User Info Menu

Default Drum fills...

K, I have been playing for two years, and I play pretty much everything from latin, swing, jazz, rock, punk rock, blues. but I concentrate more on thrash Metal metal though.

When I do fills whihc I cant I do not no how to get back on beat, I dont count in my head at all I just feel everything, andf no one complains they all say its great, plus when I get off beat I no, coz it sounds horrible and gives me a headache.

Your simple 4 sets of 16th is easy enough, but I see people doing fills with rests and all that fancy stuff, I really need help

Thanks a bunch guys

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum fills...

Hmmm...I'm confused...are you saying that you don't have this problem when you play latin, jazz, rock, or blues....but yet, you have it when you play trash metal ?

User Info Menu

You need to slow everything down and practice playing your various subdivisions (8ths, 16ths, 32nds, 8th triplets, 16th triplets, etc.). Then work on moving them around the kit, speeding them up, and eventually changing between them during fills. If you can't "feel" something, you should probably try to work it out.

User Info Menu

No, I have problems with fills in general in any style

And thank you :D

Any sort of patternsa you could give me or a link maybe?

User Info Menu

get a metronome. its one of a drummers best friends!
    Taye Studio Maple
    6'', 8'', 10'', 12'', 14'', 16'' toms
    14'' wood snare
    10'' and 8'' Stainless steel snares
    12'' and 14'' Stainless steel timbales
    10'', 12'', 14'' fast toms
    22'' kick
    14'' b8 pro hi hats
    17'', 19'', 20'' A custom crash
    18'' A custom fast crash
    21'' A custom sweet ride
    22'' A custom ping ride
    DW 9002
    Pork pie throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by One-Beat-At-A-Time- View Post
    No, I have problems with fills in general in any style And thank you :D
    Any sort of patternsa you could give me or a link maybe?
    Ok, what I do is keep the song in my head. This is as simple as humming along the song. You can start simple fills with quarter note and eighth note patterns. If you do it right, you'll never get lost or get out of beat. Next, you will start developing patterns that suits your style. After a while you'll be able to put in a fill at any point in the song with little to no lead time....and you'll create your pattern phrasing on the fly (ie., improvisation). Rock on!

User Info Menu

So I could just do my regular beat but put 4 sets of sixtenth? or 2 sets of 8th?

And Eventually it will come to me.

Anything else or what? Im not too good on theory, but im leanring as best I can

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by One-Beat-At-A-Time- View Post
    So I could just do my regular beat but put 4 sets of sixtenth? or 2 sets of 8th? And Eventually it will come to me.
    Anything else or what? Im not too good on theory, but im leanring as best I can
    Yes, that would be a good start. Start playing with songs that you normally listen to and familiar with. You can then try humming along the song while you play and start adding simple fills...

User Info Menu

Explain :D

Thanks again, this is like, enlightening for me

User Info Menu

i have the same problem dude, and i play 3 and a half years

User Info Menu

just start off by doing simple 16th note fills. your right hand will still be keeping time, you just throw in your left hand and move it round the kit or whatever. get good at that, speed it up, add in more subdivisions, start playing with doubles... y'know. or just play along to other drummers off the kit, and really work on fills.

feeling the music is still the best thing to do though, there's no proper suubstitute for that.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Play along to your radio, cd's, records, tapes or whatever you use. They are a ready made metronome but not as bland. Don't try copying what you're listening to but just play slow and stay in time with the fills. As you get comfortable with this, your skills will advance at the pace of your desire to expand upon what you are accomplishing. This is how I and 99% of the drummers I know learned how to, and got comfortable with putting fills into music. Copying the fills you're listening to will come with getting to know your kit and expanding your chops. That takes time, but less time with a teacher.

User Info Menu

Try learning different hand/foot fills. A lot of linear fills will be perfect for that. The simplest of course being RLKK or RLK (As triplets), but if you really want to get into it (since you play such high energy stuff), try this 32nd note pattern: RLKRLKRLRLKKRLRLKRLKRLRLKKRLKKRL

Haha I love how daunted it looks like that, but break it up and it's not so bad.

User Info Menu

i play along to songs that are in that genre and just improvise my own fills and then you can practice what your learning and learn how to fit it in with your genres :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |