Thread: I have been Naive! Now what?

User Info Menu

Default I have been Naive! Now what?

OK so, being the naive young individual that I am, I bought a tinchy mixer, for £35

I want to make covers for you tube and need some help, with this mixer which mics should I get ( surely I only need 1 or 2?), this is only for youtube!

+ how do I connect this mixer to my laptop with the optimum qaulity?

Here is a picture, Its exactly the same as a Behringer Xenyx 502.

I hope someone can help me! I only want it for covers!
    Last edited by AlexGoodwin; 06-23-2010 at 05:55 AM.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have been Naive! Now what?

You will only be able to use one low impedence mic (XLR) and anyother mics will have to be high impedence (1/4 jack plugs) The disadvantage to high immpedence mics is generally you cannot put a whole lot of gain to them before feedback and they cannot have a chord longer than 20 feet before they loose a huge amout of gain (volume) and the signle will distort..... as far as micing drums for youtube you probably can get by to make simple recordings for youtube. So to answer your question, buy one low impedence and 4 high impedence mics to use every channel on the mixer. however 2/3 and 4/5 will be miced in stereo. you could get my with usind only one mic on 2/3 and 4/5 and those channels would be mono. With that said that mixer is really not designed for what you want to use it for. it appears to be more of a stereo dj mixer to plug multiple source MP3 and cd source players in channels 2/3 and 4/5 and you can plug a c/d or MP3 source using the RCA plugs on the top of the mixer for recording, as well as have the use of a microphone to talk to the audiance in channel one. But for no more than you paid for it, you are not out anything really if it doesn't work as expected so I say just experiment with it and see what you can do with it. high impedence mics are generally really cheap and can be purchased at wal mart or radio shack. for referance they are the inexpensive mics that you find with inexpensive kareoke machines and cassette tape players etc. if it has a 1/4 jack plug and the mic chord is hard wired to the mic it is high impedence. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 06-24-2010 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

backtodrum is right. The mixer you bought is for DJs. With only (1)-XLR input and (4) 1/4phone jack inputs, you are very limited in mic options. Also having just (1) main L/R 1/4 " output, your interfacing to a recording source is very limited.
    The pic below is the PA head I'm using 8 channels (In Yellow Box) to mix my kit for drum videos. I use the RCA output from the PA head (red box) and have a RCA to 3.5 audio cable that goes into the Line In on my recorder.

From there I dump the audio into the PC for editing and some minor tweeking on compression (I have No ProTools) just cakewalk that came with the recorder.
    Here's the pathway:

Last edited by late8; 06-24-2010 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's the RCA to 3.5 audio cable. 3.5 goes into the line in on the side of the Edirol recorder.

Final cable for interfacing with PC:

Last edited by late8; 06-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.

User Info Menu

late8 school of drum recording...LOVE IT!

User Info Menu

I love you Late 8

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

^^You're Welcome! Thanks for the love

User Info Menu

late8, I am assuming you use your pa for other things than just recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    late8, I am assuming you use your pa for other things than just recording.
    Yes I do. http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...sic-16058.html

User Info Menu

you guys are going through a lot of steps when all you need is a little USB mixer. Alesis Multimix8 USB $159 or 6 $99 or something like that, and 4 mics. To do it right you have to have a analog to Digital converter, and that'a what a USB mixer does.
    Direct into your computer. Then it will play back through headphones or active speakers connected to your mixer.
    I am pretty sure the manufacturer will provide recording software with the mixer.
    Last edited by VIbes; 06-29-2010 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    you guys are going through a lot of steps when all you need is a little USB mixer. Alesis Multimix8 USB $159 or 6 $99 or something like that, and 4 mics. To do it right you have to have a analog to Digital converter, and that'a what a USB mixer does.
    Direct into your laptop. Then it will play back through headphones or active speakers connected to your mixer.
    I am pretty sure the manufacturer will provide recording software with the mixer.
    I don't have a laptop though...

User Info Menu

Direct into your laptop. Then it will play back through headphones or active speakers connected to your mixer.
    Vibes, I couldn't agree more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I don't have a laptop though...

a computer is ok too

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

That's correct. any computer will work. That's a given. I would think everyone on here has a computer if your posting.

User Info Menu

Direct into your computer. Then it will play back through headphones or active speakers connected to your mixer.
    I'm using what I currently own. I never intended to use my gear to make videos....just using my gear for band PA use. Without spending an extra dime, I've utilized every cable in my arsenal to post up some simple proof of my very existense.

User Info Menu

If you're going to use that mixer, I would just pick up a large diaphragm condenser mic to capture everything. There was a drummer who made a good recording with one microphone, so it is definitely possible to accomplish.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISJfkjydqg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISJfkjydqg[/ame]
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ, great minds think alike... That was the exact clip I was going to post! LOL!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Awhh that sounds pretty nice, I will look into it guys!