Thread: DTXPLORER bass question

User Info Menu

Question DTXPLORER bass question

Hello,
    This is my first post here, and I wasn't sure if I should put this in the Electronic Forum, or the Drum Q&A. I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I have been playing drums for three or four years now on my acoustic PDP set. Recently I moved into an apartment so my set had to stay with my parents. I have been considering purchasing an electric set to satisfy my urge to play drums. The set I was considering was the (ever-so-popular) Yamaha DTXPLORER. I chose that since it has pretty much everything I need with a decent module. It doesn't play bad either...

My concern is that I play a lot of double bass stuff. It's sort of a guilty pleasure. I tried that set out at guitar center, with a double pedal on it, but I didn't hear the left beater much at all. I asked the clerk about it. His response was that since the trigger is in the middle of the pad, it's hard to get the full effect of a double pedal. He recommended that I either upgrade the pad, or get a second one and use two single pedals...

First off it's Guitar Center and I have terrible experience asking them questions. (One time they were asked over the phone if they had any Michael Kelly basses. Their response was "No one named Michael Kelly works here, I think you have the wrong number."

Also I really don't like the way two single pedals feel compared to a double pedal. I was wondering if anyone thinks differently, either from expierence or anything else, that this pad is too small. I am on an extremely tight budget if that means anything.

Thanks all,
    D_Rock

User Info Menu

Default Re: DTXPLORER bass question

I agree with the disadvantages of using s double pedal on a entry level ekick.

This is the KP65 Yamaha IV pad set. I've used the DW5000a pedal on it and it's really inconsistant as far as the second pedal strokes are concerned. Having to slide the double pedal over to get the beaters to hit evenly is hard. Sometimes it's hit or miss.

Since you and I are on a budget, upgrading to a larger kick is costly. Here's the compromise positioning I had to do using the DW5000A double pedal.

User Info Menu

The Guitar Center clerk was right on this one. The size of the kick trigger makes it difficult to play double-bass on it. The best option is going to be buying another kick trigger and playing two single pedals on it. Another KP65 costs like $60 while a KP125 (the pad you'd need for a double pedal) costs like $$350. Not worth it, in my opinion. You could also try late8's weirdo positioning.

And, late8, you should get one of the clear Evans patches to put on that kick trigger. It'll prolong the life of that KP65 quite a bit. The felt beaters eat right through that sucker.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    The Guitar Center clerk was right on this one. The size of the kick trigger makes it difficult to play double-bass on it. The best option is going to be buying another kick trigger and playing two single pedals on it. Another KP65 costs like $60 while a KP125 (the pad you'd need for a double pedal) costs like $$350. Not worth it, in my opinion. You could also try late8's weirdo positioning.

And, late8, you should get one of the clear Evans patches to put on that kick trigger. It'll prolong the life of that KP65 quite a bit. The felt beaters eat right through that sucker.
    Thanks! Will do that!

User Info Menu

To be honest I am extremely confused about your positioning. How did you get that layout? Also, I have a Pearl double pedal I love to use. If need be, can I convert that into two single pedals and just dish out the 60 bucks for another pad? I googled the idea but I never could find an answer. I've heard of pedals that are able to do that right out of the box, but I don't know if it's universal in any way? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackrok15 View Post
    To be honest I am extremely confused about your positioning. How did you get that layout? Also, I have a Pearl double pedal I love to use. If need be, can I convert that into two single pedals and just dish out the 60 bucks for another pad? I googled the idea but I never could find an answer. I've heard of pedals that are able to do that right out of the box, but I don't know if it's universal in any way? Thanks.
    Most double pedals can not be separated and turned into single pedals. I believe the Pearl P120 pedals (which have been discontinued, as far as I know) were able to do this. If you have those, then you're in luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackrok15 View Post
    What are you confused about? Please be more specific. The layout? I start as I always do with kick snare and HH stand and build the rest around those key position. As far as the double pedal layout? again I start with kick snare and HH stand and place the pedals next to the HH stand.

User Info Menu

Most double pedals can not be separated and turned into single pedals. I believe the Pearl P120 pedals (which have been discontinued, as far as I know) were able to do this. If you have those, then you're in luck.
    Yes, this is correct. Most double pedals have a lefty conversion but you'll need a complete spring tower assembly to split the double into two singles. The yellow box outlines where the second spring assembly needs to be to split the DW pedals into two singles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, this is correct. Most double pedals have a lefty conversion but you'll need a complete spring tower assembly to split the double into two singles.
    Are you saying that most double pedals allow you to switch them to lefty without any additional hardware? That would be huge for me as I play lefty and one of the main reasons I've avoided the double pedal is because I can never find one and I don't want to blindly order one off of the internet.

User Info Menu

Are you saying that most double pedals allow you to switch them to lefty without any additional hardware? That would be huge for me as I play lefty and one of the main reasons I've avoided the double pedal is because I can never find one and I don't want to blindly order one off of the internet.
    Looks like the DW hardware after close inpection came with extra hardware for the rocker assembly to attach a tension spring to the slave pedal. Appears the hardware is meant for the second slave pedal to convert to single pedal instead of a the lefty double pedal conversion
    Last edited by late8; 06-24-2010 at 11:55 AM.

dave0549jv Guest

Well thanks for posting that, i never would have known until it was too late!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Well thanks for posting that, i never would have known until it was too late!
    Same here! Thanks again!