Thread: need help with rudiments

User Info Menu

Default need help with rudiments

Hey guys im 15 and have been a drummer on and off for 3 years, but ive been playing for the past 11 months straight. I have good playing ability i can drum along to about 70% of rush and dream theater, but i have a problem, all my rudiments are pretty slow.!! Although i have an average right hand my left hand is horrible, i can barely do gost notes with it. i want to gain speed and become better at all rudiments any help or practice ideas with all my problems would help. thanks guys!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: need help with rudiments

there are basically about 3 things in drumming man or at least i tell my students i dont think im lying lol. there are singles there are doubles and there are flams practice each of those individually and gradually start adding rudiments to your repitoure.
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

but how should i practice them?? should i just go as fast as i can do them on my pad?

User Info Menu

on a pad with a click. Play at a speed just over comfortable untill it becomes comfortable. Always remember to make a note of what speeds cause you can visually see yourself improve. When i do this i do singles around the kit. RLRL on snare, hi ton , Mid tom etc, single stroke roll, parididdles, Double stroke roll, RLLL, LRRR, and just work on various rudiments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer99 View Post
    on a pad with a click. Play at a speed just over comfortable untill it becomes comfortable. Always remember to make a note of what speeds cause you can visually see yourself improve. When i do this i do singles around the kit. RLRL on snare, hi ton , Mid tom etc, single stroke roll, parididdles, Double stroke roll, RLLL, LRRR, and just work on various rudiments.
    ok thanks man how long do you think it will take till i see a change?

User Info Menu

Eh, you'll improve so long as you stick at it. Like, I just used to do 40 minutes of going downstairs, turning the TV on and watching something whilst I beat the crap outta my mum's cushions. She wasn't pleased, but doing it on that builds up strength. The point is, you don't have to practice fast in order to get good, you just have to be comfortable. When you're comfortable with your rudiments, you will naturally feel more comfortable at higher speeds, so you'll naturally speed up. Simple, just don't try and cheat yourself outta it.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

ok so to get comfortable just keep on practicing. thanks ethel!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
    ok thanks man how long do you think it will take till i see a change?
    in a week if you stick at it, should be up afew bpm if not 10. Just stick at it and you will surprise yourself.

User Info Menu

When you are practicing your rudiments be sure to practice them all starting with both right and left hands. For example if you're playing paradiddles do a set starting on the right RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL, then do a set starting with your left LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR. Do this with all of the rudiments you practice and you will notice significant improvement in your left hand speed, strength and control.

User Info Menu

Don't neglect to practice the three main ruds on your pedals as well!(singles, doubles, and flams)

I pounded the drums for 5+ yrs before I even heard of rudiments. It has been about a year of knowing about them and 6 months of acttually trying to play them. A metronome is a key piece to getting faster and more control. start slow(you are building muscle memory) It wont be long and you will be play fast and accuratly. The best advice I can give though is to take a break from trying for a week and when you return to it you will be suprisingly better. Test it! I take breaks from the set as well as other instruments and I learn as much not play as I do playing. The old saying is " Absense makes the heart grow fond!" To true. Best of luck keep us posted.

User Info Menu

I was taught the rudiments the "traditional" way. I started with the 1st 13. The method I used was starting them very slow then speeding them up then slowing down again. For example, start a single paradiddle (RLRR LRLL) at about 60 Beats Per Minute,(and dont forget the accent on the 1st right and 1st left)) then increase the speed gradually,as smooth as possible, to the point that you are going as fast as you can while still maintaining control, then slowing down again to a the 60 BPM level. I think the important part is maintaining control of the fast part. At first, you may only be able to speed up a little bit, but trust me, over time, with practice, the speed AND control will come. (a little hint for ya.....I was taught that as you get faster with the paradiddle, the 2 right and left strokes are played as a "double stroke",like rolls) Get the 1st 13 down, and the rest will come a bit easier. One day,all 26 of the original rudiments will become 2nd nature to you. The paradiddles and the 5 and 9 stroke rolls are just a few of me favorites to use. Good luck, and don't get discouraged,because everyone started at the same level as you are at right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    I was taught the rudiments the "traditional" way. I started with the 1st 13. The method I used was starting them very slow then speeding them up then slowing down again. For example, start a single paradiddle (RLRR LRLL) at about 60 Beats Per Minute,(and dont forget the accent on the 1st right and 1st left)) then increase the speed gradually,as smooth as possible, to the point that you are going as fast as you can while still maintaining control, then slowing down again to a the 60 BPM level. I think the important part is maintaining control of the fast part. At first, you may only be able to speed up a little bit, but trust me, over time, with practice, the speed AND control will come. (a little hint for ya.....I was taught that as you get faster with the paradiddle, the 2 right and left strokes are played as a "double stroke",like rolls) Get the 1st 13 down, and the rest will come a bit easier. One day,all 26 of the original rudiments will become 2nd nature to you. The paradiddles and the 5 and 9 stroke rolls are just a few of me favorites to use. Good luck, and don't get discouraged,because everyone started at the same level as you are at right now.
    ok but when you say beats do you mean 60 parradiddles per minute or 6o notes getting hit a minute?

User Info Menu

He means 60 BPM on a metronome ^^ :D It's the speed of the click.

But ye practice on non rebounding surfaces as much as you can building up strength then when you come to a rebounding surface like a snare you find it alot quicker and less straining trying to get it as fast as you can without proper feel for it. When the world cup was on i was watching every match using the clock in the corner to do Rudiment intervals haha