Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wuhan Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Wuhan Cymbals

I am in the market for some new cymbals. A couple of days ago I trecked down to my local drumshop and played around with what they had to offer. I found myself really enjoying the sound of the the Wuhan Traditional Series Cymbals. I was thinking about buying a set of 13" Traditional Wuhan Hi-Hats, an 18" Traditional Wuhan China and a 22" ride cymbal [unsure of model]. I have heard mixed reviews on Wuhan Cymbals, some saying they love the sound, others saying they hate the tonal quality, while still others say not only do they hate the tonal quality but they are also made poorly. I am really satisfied with their tonal quality personally, so I think I may go for them. But, to be on the safe side I thought I'd get all of your oppinions.
    I also play mainly in the fusion style of music.
    If Wuhan Isn't A Good Option, Could You Please Point Me In The Right Direction As Well?
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

I was also thinking of bying some wuhans. Ill have to get down too my local music shop.

User Info Menu

Perp frog, love my wuhan china. Hated the Wuhan S series, haven't heard the traditionals yet. How are they compared to zildjians or sabians? I'm sure they are way cheaper.

User Info Menu

zildjian A/Z customs..

User Info Menu

Dude, the wuhans are AMAZINGLY cheap, because their made in china, for that reason and the reason of communism, the cymbals are made by what is said to be an older process than zildjians A zildjian process

But since they are hand hammered, they sound diffrent, a lot of people like the sound, others dont, the S series is a pro series set of cymbals from what ive heard

But wuhan is amazing for their china cymbals, you can go to your local guitar center and find a bucket of them for like 6 a piece, and their freaking tanks from what ive heard, they take a beating, and when they crack, its not like cracking a K custom where your freaking to get it fixed, or stop the crack, you just go buy another one for 5 bucks

User Info Menu

wuhans are great for chinas

but don't waste your time using wuhans for other cymbals, their specialty is chinas and their chinas are the best. The others are not very good at all.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I have a Wuhan china and it is ok, but I also have an 8" and 10" Wuhan splash set and I love them. I myself was going to buy some Wuhan crash cymbals. I read alot of reviews and alot of peeps say the traditional Wuhans sound as good or better that alot of 'pro' cymbals for alot less cash.

The best thing to do is just buy them. They are cheap enough that you can't go wrong. If you don't like them buy something else. I suggest musicians friend because you have like 45 days to decide if you like your purchase or not.

User Info Menu

That is true, if you buy them and dont like them you havent blown a lot of cash, however instead of buying them why wouldnt you just go and test them first? If you think they are worth it.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Because, heres for me

The only think that stocks a lot of cymbals is guitar center, and all they do is get a huge pail and stuff it with wuhan chinas, in the bag, so you cant test without buying

Plus all they carry is the chinas, they dont carry the traditionals or the S series

User Info Menu

PF I currently have a 12" Wuhan china, a 14" Wuhan china and just purchased there 16" medium thin S series crash and I absolutely love all of them, the crash cymbal sounds so good it is like a cross between my A custom and a K custom, it has such a beautiful tone, I beat the tar out of it, and it looks like I haven't even touched it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM
    Last edited by drummer; 05-31-2007 at 08:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Alright, will do ddrumbum, thanks.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

I'm with Ch33z.

I've got a couple of Wuhan Chinas, and they sound much better than the expensive chinas I've got - live, recorded, whatever, they just sound better to me. They're chinas have got a great worldwide reputation. They're just that good.

But their crash cymbals and splashes are a little less reliable: because they're handmade, each one has its own sound. If you can test-ride them that would be perfect. But I gotta admit, they're without a doubt the cheapest decent quality cymbals you can get.

User Info Menu

Do you guys actually own any of the S series, because you are sadly mistaken, I own and prefer mostly A custom cymbals and I bought the 16" Wuhan Medium this crash and is sounds so good, it is my favorite sounding cymbal, and I can hammer on it and it totally just takes my punishment, I love this cymbal, and for $45 you will never find a better cymbal.

User Info Menu

I agree with you that they can be really cool. I don't own a crash, but have played some of them, and some I've really liked, one in particular just didn't sound up to it. I have a couple of wuhan splashes (I picked these out by hand testing) and they're great.

And yes, without a doubt you'll never find a better cymbal for the price.

User Info Menu

I happen to owen a Wuhan 14in traditional crash, and a 16in S series crash. In my opinion the traditional is the better sounding of the two. The S series looks really cool but it has a real tinny sound. Can't beat the price, I just wish I could have heard them before I purchessed them. Good luck....

User Info Menu

I havnt tried any wuhan cymbal (nope, not even the china) but ive heard amazing things about ALL of the wuhan cymbals

Seriously when i was just getting into cymbals (Like i thought the ZBT was good, thats how early)

I sat on guitarcenter and saw the 20 dollar china and i was like WHO WILL BUY THIS!? IT LOOKS CRAPPY!

Clicked it read all the good reviews, and thought they were just endorsers, but now i hear great reviews about ALL wuhan cymbals from a ton of people

User Info Menu

I own a wuhan 12" china. It has a great sound but it's cheap because it gets banged up qiuckly.

User Info Menu

I think I'm the only one that got a Wuhan splash in this thread. It was the cheapest wuhan splash I could get at the store, and I heard it individually and was sort of impressed with the sound(it was $29). Then I set it up on my drum set and I have a pst 5 pack so it was like really bright sounding cymbals and then the with the wuhan it was pretty cheaply made and to tell the truth it really dissapointed me, but I'm actually getting used to it and learning how to use it. So, the longer I have it the more satisfied I am with it.

User Info Menu

Wow ok i checked out the western traditional splash and i am now going to buy one along with a 12' china i believe

User Info Menu

I love all my wuhans, I have the 12" china, 14" china and the 16 S series medium this crash and they all sound awesome.

User Info Menu

Yea, has anyone ever used the hi-hats or ride? (S series) for only 160 dollars and professional quality i may want to pick those up before the parade and concert, anyone used em? Lemme know what you think

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wuhan Cymbals

So I'm coming into this late, but I have some of the Wuhan S cymbals. A 20" ride,16 " crash, and 14 "hats. I really like them. I got all of mine second hand for about $35-40 a piece. Definitely worth it. They have a hint of that gongy sound but its not excessive.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

The Wuhan S Series is not consistent at all, but some of them do sound very good, especially if you're open to new sounds. Most do have a very trashy china quality to their tone, but in a mix some of that disappears. The New Traditional series is a lot more mainstream and much brighter.

User Info Menu

I have run into consistency issues with Wuhan cymbals ,but so far all of the Wuhan S series I've picked up have been very nice. Yeah , they're kinda trashy , but still quite musical.I am able to use them alongside zildjian a customs , sabian Aax, and my saludas with no problems. They also work well as a backup /practice set.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    The Wuhan S Series is not consistent at all, but some of them do sound very good, especially if you're open to new sounds. Most do have a very trashy china quality to their tone, but in a mix some of that disappears. The New Traditional series is a lot more mainstream and much brighter.
    I have several of the new traditionals. The 14" thin is pretty trashy and I never use it. The 14" & 16" medium crashes are not bad. In fact, I've really grown to like them. I mostly use them on my practice kit or for low volume gigs with my jungle kit. The 18" crash/ride is OK, once you figure out how to control it. What I noticed most about my Wuhans is that they sound much better in a live mix, from out in front of the band, than they do behind the kit. The overtones seem to add character but are not nearly as noticeable out front.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham