Thread: snare wire problems

User Info Menu

Default snare wire problems

lately ive been having trouble with my snare wires. when i start playing the wires are tight but after playing for a few minutes they loosen up alot and start buzzing. for a snare string i just have the plastic strips that come with the kit out of the box. any idea why theyre loosening? are they cause by rimshots? do i need a new snare string? if so what kind and type do you reccomend?
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare wire problems

Is the knob on your snare loosening, or are the tabs slipping?

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

first i would go to a fabric shop/walmart and replace those plastic snare straps with nylon straps. they hold a lot better IMO. that would be the first and cheapest start of towards a fix
    Taye Studio Maple
    6'', 8'', 10'', 12'', 14'', 16'' toms
    14'' wood snare
    10'' and 8'' Stainless steel snares
    12'' and 14'' Stainless steel timbales
    10'', 12'', 14'' fast toms
    22'' kick
    14'' b8 pro hi hats
    17'', 19'', 20'' A custom crash
    18'' A custom fast crash
    21'' A custom sweet ride
    22'' A custom ping ride
    DW 9002
    Pork pie throne

User Info Menu

+ 1 on that mcramer or replace the snares with one with strings.

User Info Menu

I run plastic straps and they work just fine. Check to see if they are installed properly, and check to see if the tension knob is turning.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I run plastic straps and they work just fine. Check to see if they are installed properly, and check to see if the tension knob is turning.
    Yea NR has a thing for knobs lol I like strings but the black plastic that comes with pursound snare also works good

User Info Menu

thanks guys for the answers!
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

Are the wires loosening or is your hearing changing as you play?
    That happens to me-for the first 15 min. the snare sounds fine, my hearing starts to loose sensitivity to higher notes and finally it seems I have no snares! Playing the toms for five minutes brings it all back. I used to adjust my snares to overcome this but it doesn't work. I use earplugs that block out 1/2 the higher sounds-the snare sounds good all the time now.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I have encountered this problem as well. It's not too big a deal but after playing for about 10 minutes the knob loosens a little bit and i have to tighten it back up.... Any ideas for a fix?

User Info Menu

This is for all you guys who have problems with the snares buzzing then you should go on Utube and see Dean "Schroeder" Reimer demonstrate his way of tuning the snare side.

User Info Menu

Truthfully, for fixing a strainer that continually backs off because of vibration...buy a new strainer~. Of course, there are times when finding the extra cash to purchase equipment upgrades is impossible there is an alternative "Fix" that Ive had to do in years gone by. If you take the strainer apart and then take the tension adjustment screw and---"LIGHTLY"--- tap on the threads with a small hammer...just enough to slightly bang them up enough to make tightening or loosening the screw a bit more difficult, this will cure the problem. This is NOT a preferred method though.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Alternately... maybe you could duct tape the knob to keep it from turning, as a temporary fix.

What kind of snare and throwoff is it, anyhow?
    You *might* be lucky, and have one that has an adjustment for the adjuster tension. (long shot)