Thread: Anyone try Sound Percussion mutes?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone try Sound Percussion mutes?

Hey guys,
    been playing drums with my brother on bass, apparently I'm too loud. I saw Sound Percussion mutes on MF, anyone try them? I heard the Vic Firth ones and they sound awful, so none of those for me.

Edit: Whoops, I think I may have posted this in the wrong section.
    Last edited by aximiliguru; 06-27-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Whoops! Wrong section

Pearl Vision VSX, Metallic Orange, 6 piece.
    Paiste Crash/ride, Wuhan Splashes, Sabian B8 Hats.
    Now listening to: Mastodon, Rush, Dream Theater, Serj Tankian, Symphony X, Nightwish
    Proud User of DrumDial, Torque Keys, and other such "nonsense". Heh.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone try Sound Percussion mutes?

I have both. The Vic Firth mutes, as horrible as they sound, are of significantly better quality. Mutes in general will sound bad, so may as well get the ones that aren't going to leave black flakes all over your set. Go with Vic Firth.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I have SP mutes and they are pretty much the consistency of a computer mouse pad.

If you're planning on jamming with them, don't. They pretty much are for silencing your drums so you can practice without disturbing anyone. They completely change the sound to a very deep, low, quiet tone that won't be heard over much of anything.

Work on playing softer, or turn the bass up. Other than that my mutes haven't fallen apart, nor do they leave black flakes anywhere. You playin' with a mace DLDante?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    Work on playing softer, or turn the bass up. Other than that my mutes haven't fallen apart, nor do they leave black flakes anywhere. You playin' with a mace DLDante?
    I don't know, maybe I got a faulty set? But the SP mutes I have are pure trash.

User Info Menu

Oh, well then maybe I'll just save the money or spend it on something else. I guess replacement heads would be better than mutes at this point. What's really funny is that my drums are actually quieter than most people I've heard, I tend to play sorta softly. I suppose I could always hook the bass up to our massive downstairs movie surround sound...

*Blows out eardrums with one note*
    Yeah, maybe not.

Now listening to: Mastodon, Rush, Dream Theater, Serj Tankian, Symphony X, Nightwish

User Info Menu

Have you ever experimented with different types of sticks like the Regal Tip Blasticks. They're made to play like using regular sticks, but cut down on the sound. I've never used them myself, but have seen a couple of guys use something similar. They used them because of the small venue that they were playing and were afraid of being too loud. So, they would play with this type of stick. They claim that you can play just as hard as one normally would, but the drums wouldn't cut through. Just a suggestion.

I personally use the drum mutes as you described. Just as TimActionFigures stated, they are for silencing your drums.

User Info Menu

The blasticks? Are those the smaller sticks/rods bundled into a handle to make a stick?
    Last edited by aximiliguru; 06-29-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Mistake

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aximiliguru View Post
    The blasticks? Are those the smaller sticks/rods bundled into a handle to make a stick?
    It kinda looks like a brush, but made of wood...

Here's what Regal Tip says about their own product:
    "Regal Tip Blasticks come with either thermoplastic dowels or wooden handles. They are softer than sticks, harder than brushes. They play like sticks but produce a soft and full sound. They are great for gigs when you want to play hard but not blow through the band. Adjustable "sound rings" allow you to slide the rings up and down the plastic bristles to produce different sound punctuations depending on your playing situation."

This might not be a bad option...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    I don't know, maybe I got a faulty set? But the SP mutes I have are pure trash.
    If you happend to purchase a set that sat in the store for sometime it is possiable that the rubber was old and therefore falling apart. Rubber has a tendency to do that overtime. think of how a rubber band acts overtime, it will deteriate as it ages and fall apart. I have a set of the SP mutes that I have had about five years and I have not experienced any problems with flacking or falling apart yet, I have to think that you got an old or faulty set somehow.

User Info Menu

I say save your money for something that you could really use, no need to spend money for mutes.........plain and simple, just dont wail the heck out of your drums.

You can play softer and still get sound from your set. This may take a bit of practice but eventually it will happen. Typically when people play softer they tend to slow down with the tempo but like I said it may take a bit with newer drummers......just invest somme time, not your cash.

Good luck.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

Larrysperf Guest

I use the Evans ones and like them. Plus they dont cost a lot

User Info Menu

ProMark Rocket Rods are another option, they are the bundled sticks. I use those at times. They don't feel exactly like regular sticks but cut volume a lot.

I did find they didn't last tremendously long compared to the older model, Hot Rods.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I used them before the EQ silencers and found they work okay on all drums except the snare of which you here the snare wires rattle louder than the rest of the kit and because of this I could'nt stand the sound anymore. Tuning the snare off was the best thing to do so I could at least practice drum solos without waking the neighbourhood up.