Thread: ***help me with my snare anyone?***

User Info Menu

Question ***help me with my snare anyone?***

My snare: Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare With Remo Emperor X for the batter and
    and Remo Ambassador Snare side head or the reso/snare side.

I have a few questions

1) I want to tune my snare so it has high pitched ring sort of like a high tuned piccolo or like a hip hop style snare. Will tuning the snare side reso head higher than the batter give me this sound? How can I achieve this sound??

2) I`m scared of stretching out the snare side head because it`s extremely thin compared batter heads. Should I not worry about this too much or will it stretch actually stretch out if I go too far? ( the problem is I don`t know how far is too far )

Thanks guys
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: ***help me with my snare anyone?***

Your head should have a fair amount of streach particularly the snare side head you can crank them up to achieve the sound you want. With that said, you need to get rid of the emporer X and put on a single ply ambassedor to get the sound that you want. the emporer x is not only two ply but has a muffling device taking all of the ring out of it. I Also I would change the top head before cranking the bottom head trying to achieve the sound with the Emporer X because you will never get there with that top head no matter how far you tune it up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    your head should have a fair amount of streach particularly the snare side head you can crank them up to achieve the sound you want. With that said, you need to get rid of the emporer x and put on a single ply ambassedor to get the sound that you want. The emporer x is not only two ply but has a muffling device taking all of the ring out of it. I also i would change the top head before cranking the bottom head trying to achieve the sound with the emporer x because you will never get there with that top head no matter how far you tune it up!
    +1
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

your head should have a fair amount of streach particularly the snare side head you can crank them up to achieve the sound you want. With that said, you need to get rid of the emporer x and put on a single ply ambassedor to get the sound that you want. The emporer x is not only two ply but has a muffling device taking all of the ring out of it. I also i would change the top head before cranking the bottom head trying to achieve the sound with the emporer x because you will never get there with that top head no matter how far you tune it up!
    +2
    Matt

User Info Menu

+3
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

+4

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

+5

ThePloughman Guest

Coated Diplomat batter, Ambassador snare side.

User Info Menu

Your head should have a fair amount of streach particularly the snare side head you can crank them up to achieve the sound you want. With that said, you need to get rid of the emporer X and put on a single ply ambassedor to get the sound that you want. the emporer x is not only two ply but has a muffling device taking all of the ring out of it. I Also I would change the top head before cranking the bottom head trying to achieve the sound with the Emporer X because you will never get there with that top head no matter how far you tune it up!
    +6

A pro once told me that he tightens the reso head up until it screams for its lawyer.

User Info Menu

thanks guys
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

plus 7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SladeGT40 View Post
    plus 7
    I'm sensing a pattern here...

User Info Menu

For the hip hoppy style snare you'll probably want crack and pop, with a little bit of the snares showing up. Piccolos generally produce this sound, so what i would recommend is tightening your heads until you feel it is where you want it to be, soundwise. Next, tighten your snare wires up some. But not as tight as they can go- maybe one whole turn away from as tight as they can go-sorry but i go by twists when i tune my drums-and lastly get a good quality batter head for your snare, i have an evans genera dry and i absolutely love it
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave