I hope so. I'm looking for some advice. The only pedal footboard I've ever really liked was the old, big Slingerlands and I want to do something about that. I'm considering replacing the footboards on my pedals with a symmetrical design for right and left feet so I can do away with OEM's asymmetrical designs that serve no function beyond aesthetics. This is an issue for me because I've always played in my bare feet. Socks at most.

The question I have about doing this is what material should I use? I have some Axis pedals and I'm not fond of aluminum. The lightness, or lack of mass, of aluminum has always felt awkward. Most footboards are cast and replacing with another casting has me thinking the process would be too involved for just a couple of footboards. Besides, I don't have a clue about how to cast something and I'd like to try this myself. I was wondering about an oil or air tool steel but maybe they would be too brittle and I don't know what characteristics tools steels have unhardened. Cold rolled? Would 1/4 inch or so bend at the ball of the foot or in that general area? Is it just too soft? Especially where the chain\strap and hinge would connect. Hot rolled steel seems too unpredictable or uncontralable. I could be wrong about that, but when looking at hot rolled in the rack the stuff looks like 2x4's that no one takes at the local home centre.

Hopefully someone here has some thoughts or advice for me about this. Thanks.