Thread: Any machinists, materials or mechanical engineers here?

User Info Menu

Default Any machinists, materials or mechanical engineers here?

I hope so. I'm looking for some advice. The only pedal footboard I've ever really liked was the old, big Slingerlands and I want to do something about that. I'm considering replacing the footboards on my pedals with a symmetrical design for right and left feet so I can do away with OEM's asymmetrical designs that serve no function beyond aesthetics. This is an issue for me because I've always played in my bare feet. Socks at most.

The question I have about doing this is what material should I use? I have some Axis pedals and I'm not fond of aluminum. The lightness, or lack of mass, of aluminum has always felt awkward. Most footboards are cast and replacing with another casting has me thinking the process would be too involved for just a couple of footboards. Besides, I don't have a clue about how to cast something and I'd like to try this myself. I was wondering about an oil or air tool steel but maybe they would be too brittle and I don't know what characteristics tools steels have unhardened. Cold rolled? Would 1/4 inch or so bend at the ball of the foot or in that general area? Is it just too soft? Especially where the chain\strap and hinge would connect. Hot rolled steel seems too unpredictable or uncontralable. I could be wrong about that, but when looking at hot rolled in the rack the stuff looks like 2x4's that no one takes at the local home centre.

Hopefully someone here has some thoughts or advice for me about this. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any machinists, materials or mechanical engineers here?

I know you are not fond of aluminum but the easiest most avilable material that could be had relitivly cheep for just two foot boards is billet aluminum. Then all you would need to do is to cut and shape it to your desired form. Steel a 1/4 inch thick would be too heavy. Titainium (SP) would be light weight but I would imagine would be cost prohibative even if you could find it in the consumer market, and in billet form, and of suffieciant quantities for two foot boards. Casting would be difficult without a furnace that would reach temperatures somewhere north of 2,500 degrees, and then you have to make a mold for the footboards which without the right materials could pose some problems, my thoughts it would be cost prohibative to have a job shop make a mold and cast it for you because you only need two pedal boards and the time and manpower to make the mold for such a limited production run would probably make them too expensive. With that said you might could manufacture something pretty cool for right and left feet with carbon fibre. It is stonger than steel with allot less weight, that is why they manufacture F1 and Indy type race cars out of it, and it certainly looks cool but it might be expensive for just two pedals to buy the carbon fibre sheets and all the hardeners and make your mold etc. I am not a machinest or engineer, however my father was and I grew up around a machine and fabrication shop and have a fair amount of non professional knowledge aquired by that association, and my own projects.

User Info Menu

hi

i am a machinist i think you could use 1/4 plate but take out some material under the plate
    this way it will be lighter and for the left foot i would do it mirror to the right foot this way you will have a right and a left foot

if you need help to draw i can help you just pm me

Riouel

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Hey Riouel, you are a good machinist! my question is, even if you were to take a fair amount of materiel out of the bottom, and machined in a web type brace for strength to replace the strength of the removed material wouldn't plate steel still be too heavy as to make the pedal sluggish? I have got to think that those pedals would weigh about twice what an aluminum pedal board would weigh. I am curious what you think!

User Info Menu

Backtodrum and Riouel thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice on this. I think I'll give aluminum a try and see how it works. A neighbor has a bridgeport he says I can use so I can make all the attempts I want at seeing if I can pull this off.

And Riouel, thanks for the offer of design help but I going to start with tracing my feet first and see how that works. If it doesn't, I'll send you a message.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    hi

i am a machinist i think you could use 1/4 plate but take out some material under the plate
    this way it will be lighter and for the left foot i would do it mirror to the right foot this way you will have a right and a left foot

if you need help to draw i can help you just pm me

Riouel
    After seeing your thread on the rack parts you just made I was hoping you woulld reply to this thread.......great job.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

i think your best solution is aluminium for sure or delrin (plastic)
    show us the pedal when you are done please
    good luck whith your project

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY