Thread: Steel Drums

User Info Menu

Default Steel Drums

So I heard from a friend at my church that if you go into playing steel drums, the gigs you do get you enough money to basically buy a flat screen TV or a new fridge at the end of the day. So obviously, I'm willing to go into it. The dilemma here is that I don't know where to get a blank one. Apparently his friend made his own, and I want to do the same.

A second dilemma is that I don't know what kind of sticks you would use. All help and suggestions are welcome.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steel Drums

CB, make sure you do it because you love it, not just for the money. I can't help with anything else, so let that be my 2 cents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, it's also a good investment because my band is planning on playing ska, which is what Reggae is based off of.
    Last edited by concrete Building; 06-28-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I don't know from experience or anything, but it is probably true that there are only a handful of people who can play steel drums in any given area, so yea the pay is probably competitive. Steel drums are made out of 55 gallon steel drums, look on craigslist in your area, I see them in the free section quite often. If you can't find a used one try an industrial supply store. I must warn you, making/tuning steel drums is not easy and takes years and years to master the craft, hence the reason pans cost 2 or 3 grand for a decent one. As for sticks, there are specially designed steel drum mallets, different sizes for different drums, just google it.

User Info Menu

Gretschhead, thanks. And I haven't seen you in awhile so welcome back.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

You have to play them melodically. Like a piano sort of. It not just about banging time out like normal drums.

all thr best...

User Info Menu

Kay, I fully understand that. I've been taking piano much longer than drums, but steel drums aren't laid out like a piano.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Hi concrete.
    Search and you shall find. I am sure you will find a good steeldrum at a reasonable price somewhere. You want a Trinidad steeldrum, right?
    cat

User Info Menu

I think I should add some comments to my post. I found out I would like a steeldrum myself, and have done some more searching. Trinidad is of course not the only place they make them, and I found several drums. Prices vary a lot, but vintage drums seems to be in the lower price range. All my congas are vintage, so why not a vintage steeldrum.
    cat

User Info Menu

CB, from what I remember in the past, it takes years to learn how to make a steel drum correctly. They are hand hammered and each section of them drum is a different note.

I looked into them a few years ago and some of the less expensive stell drums started at about $700-$800. Learning how to play them is just like any other new instrument where you will also need to invest a lot of time practicing.

Knowing how to play piano and drums is definately a step in the right direction and gives you a bit of a head start if you decide to try it.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

The least expensive steel drum I have found so far went for 90 dollar on ebay. I am not an expert, but from the picture and the description it seemed to be in good condition. An old instrument like this might be out of tune, and useless with other instuments, so a new one would be the best solution. But they are expensive.
    cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    The least expensive steel drum I have found so far went for 90 dollar on ebay. I am not an expert, but from the picture and the description it seemed to be in good condition. An old instrument like this might be out of tune, and useless with other instuments, so a new one would be the best solution. But they are expensive.
    cat
    You have to be careful with the stuff listed on ebay too. There are a lot of touristy knockoff pans on the market. Their listings can be confusing too, because they'll use words like "genuine", "handmade", "traditional", etc. The majority of them ARE handmade and from the carribean, but that doesn't make them quality instruments. Most of this stuff is only good for decorating your house with some island flavor. A lot of the stuff is only like 12", a real pan is made from a 55gallon steel drum and is going to be over 20"+ in diameter. If you're seriously interested in steel drums I suggest doing a lot of research before buying. Find a reputible pan maker and invest in a quality instrument, a lot of the makers offer intermediate level stuff like un-chromed and no frills kinda stuff for cheaper prices.. Buying used is a gamble, because if it shows up out of tune, your going to be dropping a ton of cash having someone tune it for you.

User Info Menu

Gretschead, thanks for very good info. I am very particular about good sound in instruments, and I have some good vintage drums. The things on ebay are as you described them, but if I can snipe one at a good price, it might be worth a try. Then if I should get seriously interested, I could get something of real quality.
    cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Gretschead, thanks for very good info. I am very particular about good sound in instruments, and I have some good vintage drums. The things on ebay are as you described them, but if I can snipe one at a good price, it might be worth a try. Then if I should get seriously interested, I could get something of real quality.
    cat
    Definitely, it's sometimes tough to justify a big purchase like that when you have know idea if you will want to stick with it or not. I think if you watch the used market and be patient you could probably score a cheap, decent sounding pan, that will be atleast good enough to learn on. Then like you said, if you get serious about it go for the nice real deal pan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Buying used is a gamble, because if it shows up out of tune, your going to be dropping a ton of cash having someone tune it for you.
    This is where I found Youtube was handy because you are not only informed, but they show you how to do it.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Steel Drums

CB, the steel drum as we know it developed in Trinidad and other parts of the Caribbean, made literally out of used 55-gallon oil drums...and as gonefishin pointed out, it took much labor to get the right notes out of each "pan." This isn't something you're going to find inexpensively, but keep workin' at it...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    This is where I found Youtube was handy because you are not only informed, but they show you how to do it.
    I agree CB, youtube has really made buying over the net a little more comfortable. Not everyone has you tube videos of their stuff, but more and more people are starting to post them in their ebay auctions and it is very helpful. Nobody likes buying without hearing it first.

User Info Menu

Oh as a sidenote....one notable US musician who has made the steel-pan his percussion instrument of choice is Andy Narell....who I got to hear about ages ago in a "Drums And Drumming" issue together with other less common type of percussionists. See if YouTube has any of his stuff. From what I remember reading, Andy was pushing the envelope as there was nobody else American doing it......in fact he had to make mallets using surgical tubing with rubber bands wound tightly on the ends.....jeez, guy's a genius!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Steel Drums

CB, another pan man you should look for is Erich Miller. He has a West Coast group called "Panache," and he's a native of Granite City, Illinois. Not that that makes him any better than, say, Andy Narell, but he has at least one CD out and you may want to Google him to find out where to get that disc. I think the title is "Erich Miller and Panache," and it was put out around 1996...

Some of my best hand-drumming lessons came out of that CD...

Worth the search, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Bongobro....wow, never heard of Erich Miller, but then again probably the few guys we got playing steel pan here are all Caribbean and/or African descended, no one Caucasian's been brave enough to pick one up I guess LOL.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Concrete Building,

I am a steel drum player in the South West Chicago suburbs. I have started out playing steel drums (the real name is Steel Pans) back in 1986 - 1988 with the Harper College Steel Band. I progressed to Marimba because I had to wait 2 years for my set to be built. I have a Cliff Alexis set that was built in Dekalb, Illinois. NIU has a major for Steel Pan and Cliff is an artist in residence there.

I do not reccomend buying a set unless you really know what you are dealing with. There are many issues and complexities to this instrument. For example many tuners will only tune their own sets so if you buy a set from the islands and it gos out of tune then too bad. My set has 2 - 3 harmonics per note like a piano key. Alsothe note lay out is important for tonality. Typically the circle of fifths is what is used and this helps with harmonics and playability.

I used to play my steel pans and other percussion (marimba, surdo, and other assorted percussion and sound effects) back in the 90's with the "Primal Connection" from 1990 through 1997. I went into semi-retirement to raise my son but I am interested with playing out again.

Please ask any specific questions if you have them and I willtry to assist you. Also I am looking for opportunities to play in the Chicagoland area. I also play congas and just about any other percussioninstrument except for drum kit.

User Info Menu

Hey I am a European background player and I play Steel. I have been playing since 1986. The technical term is Steel Pan not steel Drum.

I live in the Chicago area and would like to get together with folks and do some playing again. I retired to raise my family in 1996 and now I am ready to play again.

As for Steel training, Wabonsee and Harper College have Steel Bands that are open to the public. I studied Steel pan for 2 1/2 years from 1986-88.

As for instruments, first know what you are buying and looking at. Many steel tuners only tune their own pans so if you buy from the islands and it goes out of tune then too bad. It is only dented metal and is very fragile.

My steel pans are double seconds, 2 pans 14 notes each chrome plated. They were built by an artist in residence at NIU in Dekalb, Illinois. He is able to tune 2-3 harmonics per note (like a piano).

I play marimba because I waited for 2 years to recieve my pans. This was a blessing because this became one of my main axes with the "Primal Connection" 1990-97.

As for currently, I play steel pan with 4 mallets so I can play full chords. also I have many other percussion like the garrahands, marimbas, hang drum, congas, surdos, and many more. I am a counter point player and rhythm player. Currently I am assembling a chromatic conga set.

Jerry