Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: **rust!!**

Where do your drums sleep?

User Info Menu

I'd steel wool the rust off the hardware, then I'd buy a dehumidifier.
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Rusty drums? I'll take them if you don't want...

PS- I remember someone saying never to use steel wool to clean drums.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Where do your drums sleep?
    In my room.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

ThePloughman Guest

You have a shower directly associated with your room? And you tend to leave the bathroom door open to your room while you shower?

So. Rust is a result of neglect, high humidity, damp, and probably a few other things. Not any one thing. And you could even get rust without being neglectful. First off, Steel Wool is the abolute worst thing you could do to your chrome. Clean all of your hardware with a soft damp cloth and a mild detergent, such as Dawn. You dont need a lot, and definitely use soft cloth, such as baby diapers. But, no steel wool, and it doesnt matter what anyone tells you, or what they say theve done, or that it didnt scratch their gear. Steel wool WILL scratch your stuff. Ive seen a lot of vintage drums ruined by some guy with a pad of 0000 steel wool. The brand doesnt matter, the grade doesnt matter, it will scratch.
    Get your stuff clean. Get it dry, and wipe down all of the chrome with a good automotive grade protective chrome polish that is NONABRAISIVE. Keep the dust off the kit, and figure out how you are getting high humitity and damp.

User Info Menu

You have a shower directly associated with your room? And you tend to leave the bathroom door open to your room while you shower?

So. Rust is a result of neglect, high humidity, damp, and probably a few other things. Not any one thing. And you could even get rust without being neglectful. First off, Steel Wool is the abolute worst thing you could do to your chrome. Clean all of your hardware with a soft damp cloth and a mild detergent, such as Dawn. You dont need a lot, and definitely use soft cloth, such as baby diapers. But, no steel wool, and it doesnt matter what anyone tells you, or what they say theve done, or that it didnt scratch their gear. Steel wool WILL scratch your stuff. Ive seen a lot of vintage drums ruined by some guy with a pad of 0000 steel wool. The brand doesnt matter, the grade doesnt matter, it will scratch.
    Get your stuff clean. Get it dry, and wipe down all of the chrome with a good automotive grade protective chrome polish that is NONABRAISIVE. Keep the dust off the kit, and figure out how you are getting high humitity and damp.
    Nothing water related is near my room.
    I try pretty hard to take care of my drums but there is really nothing I can do about the humidity because I live in Japan and its humid all year except for winter.
    So ill get that automotive stuff right away.
    Thanks

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

ThePloughman Guest

Ah, Japan. Well that explains it. Humidity is just about where you are, not something you are doing. Do take steps to keep them clean, and protect the chrome. An application probably every quarter would be ok.

User Info Menu

Ah, Japan. Well that explains it. Humidity is just about where you are, not something you are doing. Do take steps to keep them clean, and protect the chrome. An application probably every quarter would be ok.
    thanks and will do

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Are you dusting your drums? I've heard that letting dust settle for a long period of time can cause rust. I try to dust off my drums at least once per week.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Its not so much the humidity that is causing the rusting...its also the salt content in the air. If you live anywhere close to the ocean (as opposed to inland), this will be a problem. Good luck !

User Info Menu

"No Steel Wool" great advice Ploughman!

User Info Menu

Case in point. I live in te Bahamas on a small island in the Atlantic. Not only is the air humid, it is humid and salty. Metal doesn't stand a chance here. I'm talking cars, plumbing fixtures, tools, anything!
    I've taken to storing my cymbals in Huge Zip Loc bags.
    For the hardware, I just rub them down with a WD-40 like stuff. All the preventative methods in the world will only go so far I guess. Metal will do what it by nature does...It rusts!

all the best...

User Info Menu

use windex and balled up aluminum foil , spray the stand with windex ,then rub it with the foil,, your hardware will look brand new.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Nothing water related is near my room.
    I try pretty hard to take care of my drums but there is really nothing I can do about the humidity because I live in Japan and its humid all year except for winter.
    So ill get that automotive stuff right away.
    Thanks
    I lived on Okinawa for 17 years before leaving to Cali. We used a de-humidifier 24/7 and emptied at least 1.5 gallons in a 12 hour period. You'll be much happier knowing that the de-humidifier will help keep the moisture off of everything!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    use windex and balled up aluminum foil , spray the stand with windex ,then rub it with the foil,, your hardware will look brand new.
    That is some weird concoction...I'd have to try it sometime to see how well it works !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    That is some weird concoction...I'd have to try it sometime to see how well it works !
    honest man ,,it works great ,, but you have to ball the foil up ,,you cant fold it .
    Tamaholic

ThePloughman Guest

It is metal, and it will scratch. Very tiny hard to see, but it will scratch.

User Info Menu

i've done it for years ,, never a scratch. it will make your hardware look brand new.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I've heard tin foil and Coca-Cola...or wait...maybe for car parts!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would never use steel wool on any parts of my drum's harware. Try some 3 in 1 oil over the rust and let it sit for a couple of minutes and wipe, if it comes off good if not, it may be too late to bring it back to it's original shine. Then I would spray the metal with a silicon base spray that woud repel water or humidity and not damage the drums or the hardware and this may fix your rust problem for now and the future.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-03-2010 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

I use chrome polish on all of my hardware at least a few times a year. It shines them up and also protects. Good habit to get into to keep your drums looking good.

User Info Menu

Ok...dont laugh at this= because it actually WORKS. I picked this trick up from a friend who has had Harley motorcycles for the past 20 years. Take a 4 to 6 inch piece of Aluminum foil and pour Coke on the SHINY side of it and on the drum rim (after you have removed it from the drum) or stand, (you need to be able to comfortably rub the rusted area)
    The action between the Shiny aluminum foil and the Coke will transfer the Shiny portion of the Aluminum foil onto the Rusted portion of the Chromed stand. Once thats done, wash the Coke off it and dry it and then apply a wax to the entire stand or drum rim. Ive done it personally a few times on a drum rim as well as a stand or two in the past and the rust is no longer visible and thats been over a year ago since I did the drum rim and I watched my buddy do this treatment on a friends Harley that had a bit of rust on the Exhaust pipe...after the treatment, the rust was gone~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Well to anyone interested, I've have pretty good result using Rust remover products, hot water & soap, steelwool and some Nevr-Dull.

BEFORE :

AFTER

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

try rust remover
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix