Thread: Amplification? How big for live gigs?

User Info Menu

Default Amplification? How big for live gigs?

Looking to find something to use and lug around for gigs. How many watts should I get a Keyboard Amp for that would be loud and good enough for playing a live gig? Or should I just go the PA route and plug into a soundboard and speakers.

Thanks!
    Yamaha DTXplorer.
    YAMAHA-VIC FIRTH-AGAZARIAN-SOUND PERCUSSION

User Info Menu

Default Re: Amplification? How big for live gigs?

Into the PA definately, but I would think you would want some way to monitor yourself. I think you could get by with something not too huge and powerful, as long as you can get get it in close proximity to you and the kit.

Or a headphone mix of the band and the drums off the board...perfect

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 06-30-2010 at 08:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Amplification? How big for live gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaDTX View Post
    Looking to find something to use and lug around for gigs. How many watts should I get a Keyboard Amp for that would be loud and good enough for playing a live gig? Or should I just go the PA route and plug into a soundboard and speakers.

Thanks!
    When I was playing my Yamaha DTXTREME lll kit I used a B-52 Matrix 1000 system on stage for my own amp. 700 watts 15" sub 2-monitors with 10" woofers and a horn. For the sound out front I went through the bands PA.

We got pretty loud on stage so a keyboard amp wouldn't cut it for me. Also the guys in the band wanted to hear the kit on stage as they would an Acoustic kit so I needed some power.

I use the same system now when I mic up my Acoustic kit at home when jamming with friends. It's also a kick *** system to play CD's / MP3's through, it cranks.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-Mat...51-i1153270.gc