Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum sticks

User Info Menu

Default Drum sticks

Who uses wood tip vs. nylon?
    I use wood for the warmth and the non-maring on my cymbals. I do like the sound of nylon tips on my ride though.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Yea. I use Regal Tip Quantum3000 nylon tips (similar to a 5B but with a REALLY thick neck and a LARGE round-ball tip) for hard rock & metal, and 5A wood tip for prog. rock/fusion for the warmth and the better stick definition.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I like the wood tip for the warmth as well. But the nylon does rock on the cymbals and ride!!!!! Yeah Baby!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of wood tips at all. Nylon every time !
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

wood....nylon break to easy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    wood....nylon break to easy
    Nylon breaks too easy ?! Wood tips chip apart until there is no tip at all! I used to know a guy that would put finger nail polish on his wood tip sticks to try to keep them from chipping. Actually, I think he wore it himself...he was "like that". His wife was a flight attendant, I think he wanted to be one too...but that's another story. He borrowed my Ludwig Vistalites and never returned them...the bastard !
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

geez...sorry for ur misfortune...yeah they do chip but when the nylon breaks it's end of story...when the wood chips u can still use it....that's a good idea about the nail polish though...i thnk i'll try that acrylic nail strengther stuff...i've seen guitar players put that on their first finger to use like a pick...

User Info Menu

I've never had either kind of tip, break off or chip. Probably because of the angle of my cymbals and drums. I've always had problems with the shoulders of the sticks. The edge of my hats just grind them up. I always have a pile of small chips and sawdust under my hats. That's why I switched to the Quantum 3000 model of sticks - LARGE shoulder-very little taper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    I've never had either kind of tip, break off or chip. Probably because of the angle of my cymbals and drums. I've always had problems with the shoulders of the sticks. The edge of my hats just grind them up. I always have a pile of small chips and sawdust under my hats. That's why I switched to the Quantum 3000 model of sticks - LARGE shoulder-very little taper.
    i have that same problem too... when i play the high hat it kills the top of my sticks and theres sawdust on the edge of my snare and on the floor i found it to be really annoying at first but i got use to it
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

i say nylon.. most of my stix r nylon and i think they sound better on the cymbal and they roll better
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I use Force 7A Nylon Tip sticks. There really nice, The stick has a nice feel to it. It also holds up really well. I just broke one of them a few days ago. I have had it for a year and a half.

Btw, I'm new to this forum...

User Info Menu

If you want the warm sound / feel of wood, but the durability of nylon, you've got to try these....!
    http://regaltip.com/md-review.html
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

I may try these, thanks for the post. I will say I never did like the markings that the nylons left on my heads and cymbals. thats why I use wood for the most part.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I really like to use Zildjan Anti-vibe 5B nylon tips. My kit is half acoustic, half electronic. I broke the tip off the end of a wood stick and it tore one of my mesh heads. I've never broken a nylon tip off of a stick.

User Info Menu

that's crazy i've never had a nylon tip stay on more than a few days...and every zildjan i've ever tryed broke at the shoulder after just like a few days too

User Info Menu

i guess it doesn't help much that i play metal....

User Info Menu

7A wood tip

User Info Menu

I know a lot of guys who use a lot of different size sticks, and vary between wood and nylon for different gigs, and even different songs. Not me. I have used Regal Tip 5B nylons every time I have sat behind a drum kit for over 20 years. When I find something I like, I "stick" with it...but to each their own.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

...lol....ur awfully punny

User Info Menu

Pro mark 747 nylon tips have been the toughest sticks ive ever used.
    Broke every Zildjan pair of sticks in very little time.
    DRUMS RULE.....

User Info Menu

You can't teach an "old guy" new sticks.

User Info Menu

Yea BOO !!!!!!!! Regal Tip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

i bought some nylon tips not too long ago for the first time and i hate em, they sound way to bright on the cymbals for me

User Info Menu

i dont like them beacuse the tip either comes off or splits and then you really cant use the stick anymore i stick with my vic firth 7a or 2b's