Thread: My soundproofing idear!

User Info Menu

Default My soundproofing idear!

Ok so i was practicing the other day, and im kinda getting to the point where i'll do rudiments for about an hour then just fool around for an hour, and when i fool around with beats and such i get loud, and i heard a few people talking about it outside my garage the other day which for me really ruins the creative juices, if im good at something i dont mind playing in front of someone, but if im practicing i dont like anyone to hear me.. so im gonna build a little soundproof room in the garage. I've been reading about soundproofing what works, what doesnt etc etc so heres my idea.

basically its gonna be about 7ft long in the front with two 3ft walls that are at a 22 degree angle kicking back into the wall, if you can imagine that. Im gonn build a 2x6x8 stud wall, double sheetrock the outside, then im gonna buy this acoustical foam and use it like isulation between the wall that also should leave me about a 2in airspace in the wall. Then on the inside i was thinking of the wall going like this: sheetrock-1/2 airspace-residual channel-foam-1/2 airspace-sheetrock.

So if any of you have some different ideas let me know :P
    Last edited by Circa; 03-31-2007 at 08:41 PM.

User Info Menu

sounds awesome..like a private studio good luck

User Info Menu

great idea, sounds like alotta effort your putting into it
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

yea, im just wondering if theres a better way to do it, something else i havnt thought of.

User Info Menu

Army blankets! Thats what they used to use in the old days in some studios. If you add them you should save some money not having to double up your walls with sheetrock. And that soundproofing foam is spendy. I think you should get good damping with them blankets. I know they will work good for recording and eliminating echo.

Just a suggestion.

User Info Menu

Another thing you can use is sound deadening board. It comes in 4'x8' x 1/2" sheets and costs just a little more than sheetrock. The most effective way to deaden sound is to use multiple layers of material that has diferent densities with a 1/2" air space in between. also, make sure you shove some insulation into any gaps you might have on the top, bottom, or sides. You want to make sure each one of the air pockets is as close to sealed as possible.

I soundproofed a studio using 5/8" sheetrock, 1/2" foamular (high density foam), 1/2" sound board, and 1/2" cellulous foam with 1"x2" boards as spacers in between. It was a little spendy ( approx. $3 per square foot) but it worked like a charm. Never had another complaint after that.
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 04-01-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i am the same with the people hearing me practice situation. is this a drummer thing?

your idea sounds great. ive got my drums in one of the bedrooms. the room walls are covered with a bass layer of thick honeycomb cardboard and then carpet on the outside of that. covering the window is thicker honeycomb cardboard and a doona over it. Cheap and nasty!! lol but it works ok

User Info Menu

cool, i think i'll try some of that deadening board in my idea, im gonna build it this weekend. i'll let you guys know how it turns out, take a few pics and post em in here...

User Info Menu

what about egg cartons? do they actually work?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?