Thread: Gospel chops

User Info Menu

Default Gospel chops

Hey guys,

I am interested in adding some gospel chops to my playing. Does anyone knows about gospel chops? Where i can find some ideas? Do you know any albums to listen with good gospel drumming or good gospel chops that i can listen and develope my own ideas? Is there any web site that has free lessons on gospel drumming and gospel chops?? Thanks
    Drumming till my arms and feet go dead!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gospel chops

I used to listen to gospel a lot. I don't really like it now but if you're talking about southern gospel, I would suggest some traditional country rhythms. Like, BOOM CHICK BOOM CHICK BOOM CHICK.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gospel chops

I understand that adcc is talking about what's being popularized as "gospel" right now, so I'll make the distinction. Gospel is a style of music used in churches and other religious settings, whereas what we call "gospel chops" are essentially 16th note triplet patterns (primarily). Depending on where you accent the patterns you can get that quick, broken, but not out of time feel you're looking for. Here are three patterns to work on (played as 16th note triplets)

RLRLKK
    RLKKRL
    KKRLRL

Try playing each, and then start combining them.