Thread: E-Kit Throwing Me Off

User Info Menu

Default E-Kit Throwing Me Off

So I went out and spent $1,400 on a Yamaha DTX550 so I could practice every day no matter what and really build those chops. Well, it's been like two weeks now and I've been playing the e-kit exclusively (not on purpose, it's just worked out that way due to my schedule). Today I finally get a chance to sit behind the acoustic again and I'm completely disoriented. It took me like 30 minutes to readapt to the feel of the acoustic drums, which was about all of the time I had to play. ARGH!!!!

Does anybody else experience this when switching back to an acoustic from an electronic kit? I thought I'd be running circles around the acoustic with all of the practice I've put in. Didn't work out that way, though. LOL!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Default Re: E-Kit Throwing Me Off

Is it the feel of the drums, or the layout? Any time you switch kits that aren't laid out exactly the same, it takes time. The spacing on E-kits is always much tighter than acoustic, in my experience.

That's what is cool about kits like 2Slow's, conversion kits using real drums. You get the layout, some of the feel, and easier to go back and forth.

I would say try to match layouts as much as possible, and mix it up in terms of practice on each kit.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

True dat!

+1 Different layout. I know what ya mean though. When I had my Vdrums, I was constantly having to reorient myself between them and my acoustic kit. Somebody wrote here that even though electronic drums have gotten better they still are miles away from the real deal.

Fun though!
    Gretsch Renown Maple/Fusion - Natural
    8" - Tom
    10" - Tom
    12" - Tom
    14"- Floor Tom
    16"x24" Bass Drum
    TAMA Warlord Titan Snare Drum
    PDP Rack
    16" Zildjian Custom A Crash
    18" Zildjian Custom A Fast Crash
    20" Zildjian Custom A Ride
    12" Zildjian Custom A Rezo Splash
    8" Zildjian Custom A Splash
    20" Riveted Zildjian sizzle w/ 6" SF co-mounted
    14 Zildjian Custom A HatsLP Percussion - Cow Bell/Block/Tambourine
    Rock and Sock Throne!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    So I went out and spent $1,400 on a Yamaha DTX550 so I could practice every day no matter what and really build those chops. Well, it's been like two weeks now and I've been playing the e-kit exclusively (not on purpose, it's just worked out that way due to my schedule). Today I finally get a chance to sit behind the acoustic again and I'm completely disoriented. It took me like 30 minutes to readapt to the feel of the acoustic drums, which was about all of the time I had to play. ARGH!!!!

Does anybody else experience this when switching back to an acoustic from an electronic kit? I thought I'd be running circles around the acoustic with all of the practice I've put in. Didn't work out that way, though. LOL!
    Ok this is coming from a lot of experience. Back in the mid 80's I played in a cover band 5 nights a week, every week for 4 years. I played and e-kit exclusively , it was a Simmons SDS7 kit. When that band ended I went back to acoustic drums and it took me a solid year to get my "Real" Drumming chops back. Again in 2005 I went all Electronic with Yamaha's top of the line DTXTREME ll and lll kits. Played them exclusively for 4 years and now have switched back to Acoustic drums, I'm still in the process of getting all the way back.

It is my opinion that e-kits should not be used for everyday practice, it will ruin you. Why? Because E-kits are practically effortless to play. You do not need to use the same power that you do with an Acoustic kit , and over time the muscles you have developed playing your acoustic kit get weak and lazy.

Also the feel of the two kits is completely different. I don't care if you're playing mesh or rubber pads neither one feels anything like a real drum. After spending 8 full years with E-kits I strongly recommend that unless you are going to just be playing an E-kit all the time, don't play one at all, or at least make sure you play your Acoustic kit more then the E-kit. Use them as an addition to your Acoustic kit. Both times I made the switch to an E-kit it was because the situation I was in called for it, however I'll never do it again.

User Info Menu

It's not really the layout that is giving me trouble. I've actually laid them both out pretty similarly (see pics below). It's like NPYYZ said, the feel is just completely different. Having played the e-kit exclusively, and for like 2 hours a day, over the past two weeks really threw me off. I started playing the acoustics and my arms were like, "whoa, what the Hell is that?" The rebound and everything on the e-kit is really different so it just felt weird to play the acoustic set again and took me about 30 minutes to be able to move around like I used to.

I have to agree that e-kits require much less effort to play. My grooves sound at least 50% better on the e-kit! LOL! I wish I could use the acoustic for every day practice, like I have done for nearly a year, but that's just not possible for me anymore due to my schedule. Right now during the summer my options were practice a maximum of one hour per week or get an e-kit. I have a set of practice pads but those don't feel any better than the e-kit pads and at least with the e-kit I can make music and have some fun. The practice pads are so boring!

The worst part of it all is that the hour per week I get comes in two 30 minute increments. If it's going to take me 30 minutes to adjust each time, I'm screwed.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

My take on this goes like this ! There is no doubt that acoustic drums are tops ! And if your going to play both acoustic and e drums you will have to change your mindset . They are 2 different critters. No different than playing a piano vs an organ or maybe a 6 sting vs 12 string or an up right bass vs an e bass . Playing both will make you a better player you just need to adjust your playing to the instrument. I love my diy e drums and at times say i will only play them but it's not long till i am longing to play the acoustic again. So don't get discouraged just adjust your mind to fit the instrument. Master them both you will surely be a better muscian !! I would suggest getting a nice quiet practice pad to keep your acoustic chops up while you are mostly using the e drums ! Oh and nice drum sets you have bro !!
    Last edited by 2slow; 07-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!