Thread: Graphic material... drummer's discretion advised!

User Info Menu

Cool Graphic material... drummer's discretion advised!

Now that I got your attention, what's your take on the LP Aspire Accents series of congas, bongos, and djembes? There were three sets at my buddy's drum shop that I looked at (and played): One was a tie-dyed rainbow design that looked like a cast-off from the 60s hippie movement; one was a tiger stripe design which looked killer to me; the third was a checkered-flag design that my drum teacher liked but I didn't care for...

I will review them in a week or two, but my question is:

Would you buy the Accent Series or stick to more traditional designs (red, white, black fiberglass or wood finishes)?

See them on the link...

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showc...gas/index.html

To me, they catch your eye maybe the first time...but I prefer the old-school look...your take, buddies?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I would stick with the more traditional finishes. I actually played the LP Accent Tribal series today at the music store and they just kinda sounded dull and lifeless. I admit, they needed some tuning, but the sound just was'nt right to me. The feel is great though. You could play those things for hours without your hands hurting.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Well, I think I am on the same page as you, BongoBro and 1DrumBum. I am not so into the 'flashy-er' finishes, something more subtle and classy is where it is at. I myself don't play nearly as much hand drum as you, BongoBro, but I have been to my fair share of drum symposiums/seminars to know a little about them. The LP Accent Series, in my opinion, sounded great but as stated early, don't much like the finishes.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Ok, I played some of the LP Giovanni series at the drum shop yesterday and I have to say that they were the exact opposite of the tribal series I played last week. These things sounded beautiful and look even better! The heads were really comfortable and very responsive. I ended up jamming on them for about an hour with one of the guys at the shop!

Now I can't make up my mind if I want the LP's or the Remo's I was first looking at. I guess I'll have to keep going back to the music store and play the heck out of both of them until I decide!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads