Thread: How do I hold traditional grip

User Info Menu

Default How do I hold traditional grip

I usually have trouble moving my wrist with this type of grip. How can I make it better?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do I hold traditional grip

1st question: What is your motive for playing with a traditional grip?

Oh, and welcome to Drum Chat. Hope you make yourself at home here. It's a pretty good group overall...

User Info Menu

All I can say is practice, practice if you know how to hold the sticks. Do you have a school marching band maybe talk to someone there. I learn to play traditional in a cadet marching/military drumming band which was easier than the drumline. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    oh, and welcome to drum chat. Hope you make yourself at home here. It's a pretty good group overall...
    +1
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Everyone has trouble with traditional grip. Just keep practicing. Do singles first, then try paradiddles, then move to doubles.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Why question motives? If he/she wants to learn it let them be.

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHSrovtJF0"]YouTube- Derrick Pope - Traditional Grip[/ame]
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Why question motives? If he/she wants to learn it let them be.
    Dude...not questioning their desire, but the motive is an important starting point. Not trying to talk anyone into or out of anything, but it should be pointed out that learning trad is a choice and not mandatory under many circumstances.

It's just a conversation...

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Archon........

I play right handed and learned to play traditional but now play mostly mmatched.

I hold the left stick in the webbing between my thumb and index finger and then thru the middle and ring finger.

My grip is very loose and when I play the majority of contact with the stick is in the webbing area....the part of the stick between the middle and ring finger is just there for balance / stick control.

Hope this helps.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Here's a video of 3 well known drummers all playing traditional girp differently. The basics are all the same, but nuance of how to use your thumb and fingers with the grip varies with different drummers. There is no cut and dry, "This is how it's done!" The Pope Video is good for the basics.

You need to discover your own comfort zone that suits your needs and style. After watching this check out Steve Snmith and Thomas Lang for 2 more vay different ways to use the grip. Check out some corps and concert drummers to see a completely different use of the grip.

Pay particular attention to how Gadd uses his fingers around the 6 minute mark, notice how Coaiuta uses, or doesn't use his thumb and keeps it up an out of the way, notice where each grips the stick, notice how each differently uses wrist and arm movement for accents and ghost notes. Traditional grip is all nuance. Kudos on spending the time to learn the grip. Although no grip has any complete advantage over another, there is perceptive value from others about the grip you use. It would be nice to say that didn't matter, but when gigging is your income, the visual is important to some and it can make the difference between working and not working. Just one of the realites of playing any insturment. Have you seen any jazz bands with an electric bassist who plays the bass down around their knees? ETC. ETC. ETC. Learning everything you can, including the different grips is worthwhile.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6b_nBM-V8"]YouTube- Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd[/ame]
    Last edited by Riverr1; 07-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.