Thread: Ever have to.....

User Info Menu

Default Ever have to.....

Anybody ever get stuck playing behind a plexiglass isolation shield? I did ONCE......and absolutely HATED it. Let's hear your horror stories...
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Default The drum condo

Hey BigTallG, oh yeah, been there and done that. With apologies in advance to Roaddebris,(who disagreed with my "airing my grievances with other Christians on the internet") here's my story. First, let me say that dynamics and volume control are an essential part of what I do as a lifetime church drummer. And I in no way have any bad feelings toward these otherwise very nice people. I was drumming at a local church and took a Sunday off. Another guy in the church filled in. The next week, practice was all about "THE DRUMS ARE WAY TOO LOUD" even tho I wasn't playing that week. Come to find out, the pastors wife complained about the drums being too loud. The very next Sunday, I find the drums beside the stage in a huge plexi and plywood monstrosity. Horrible monitor headphones, all sense of being in the band gone. I spent the next three months very frustrated and finally quit playing there. The real ironic part, the guy who got me put in a box became the regular drummer when I left. He uses hotrods even inside the condo because he simply can't play other than on 11. And he's the pastors son-in-law.
    Sometimes, you gotta either laugh or cry. I choose to laugh. Tomorrow, I'm filling in at my brothers church, sitting behind the plexi once more. But it beats playing pads!!!!

User Info Menu

I remember the first time I played behind plexiglass, the sound would bounce off of the shield and bounce back at you. It was so loud sometimes. At Christmas time at church they strung Christmas lights across the stage and along the top of the plexiglass. I bought an Ornamotion Christmas decoration of a guy banging on a drum and plugged him into the light string where I could see him.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I try to avoid it if possible. Sometimes you can't. You definitely need a good headphone mix if you have to use it.

User Info Menu

i use one depending on the situation, but prefer not to. headphones are a MUST. i dont really have any horror stories tho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by someguyplayingdrum
    Hey BigTallG, oh yeah, been there and done that. With apologies in advance to Roaddebris,(who disagreed with my "airing my grievances with other Christians on the internet") here's my story. First, let me say that dynamics and volume control are an essential part of what I do as a lifetime church drummer. And I in no way have any bad feelings toward these otherwise very nice people. I was drumming at a local church and took a Sunday off. Another guy in the church filled in. The next week, practice was all about "THE DRUMS ARE WAY TOO LOUD" even tho I wasn't playing that week. Come to find out, the pastors wife complained about the drums being too loud. The very next Sunday, I find the drums beside the stage in a huge plexi and plywood monstrosity. Horrible monitor headphones, all sense of being in the band gone. I spent the next three months very frustrated and finally quit playing there. The real ironic part, the guy who got me put in a box became the regular drummer when I left. He uses hotrods even inside the condo because he simply can't play other than on 11. And he's the pastors son-in-law.
    Sometimes, you gotta either laugh or cry. I choose to laugh. Tomorrow, I'm filling in at my brothers church, sitting behind the plexi once more. But it beats playing pads!!!!
    Soo...I'm getting after you, a Christian, online, for getting after other Christian's online?

We had a "cone of silence" at church for a while too. Same situation. We had someone who played loud all the time. He's no longer playing there, so the great wall came down. Made the bass sound so much clearer.

User Info Menu

I have to play behind a shield at my church, and I hate it, I have to totally re-tune my drums, and they still sound choked, the stupid shield is always in my way, if I need to get to something, I have to move the entire thing, and it really does not do that much, except irritate me, I hate them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Soo...I'm getting after you, a Christian, online, for getting after other Christian's online?

We had a "cone of silence" at church for a while too. Same situation. We had someone who played loud all the time. He's no longer playing there, so the great wall came down. Made the bass sound so much clearer.
    Yes, yes you were. I played for a summer at my brothers church. No plexi, no problems. They had a 14 yr old after me, up went the plastic. Its still up, but what can you do? Still beats playing pads....

User Info Menu

i was behind one once and it fell down, it was really funny, the worship leader at the church blamed me for its "tragic" fall by saying i was playing so darn loud that the sound knocked it over and he told me to go by a new one, on which my respose was a resounding "NO!"

"good times, good times"
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!