Thread: ok...

User Info Menu

Default ok...

So I put pinstripes on my toms thinking that they would work very well. However, I was wrong, since I got comments from you guys and someone else on youtube to tune the toms. I did realize that my toms had a ton of resonance. So I retuned my toms and took out the bottom heads. They now sound like a swarm of bees. Any suggestions?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: ok...

Sorry, can't quite figure out what you're trying to achieve. Less resonance? Tuning the resonant tighter might help. I've also heard good things about moongel.

And with the swarm of bees sound you can always join a vuvuzela band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mepbuzz View Post
    And with the swarm of bees sound you can always join a vuvuzela band
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

Well the first step is to put the bottom heads back on!

User Info Menu

Plus 1 on putting back the bottom heads on. Once you have done this re-tune your drums this way and see if it helps. Loosen off heads and then finger tight + 1/2 turn to get the lowest pitch possible from your tom. Then tap around drum to get the tension all the same and that should take care of the tops. Now do the same with the bottoms except give 1 full turn and this should be a good sound if not then give each a 1/4 but no more or you passed the good sound stage. If the sound needs any muffling just stick a piece of moon gel to kill over tones etc works fine for me but I use the Evans G2 on my drums and they are tuned in that matter and sound real good for that old classic rock.

User Info Menu

+3 on the putting the bottom heads back. I'm not sure what you're looking for either...however, if you tune the pinstripes to high, it will sound canny. You either tune it lower or perhaps use a dampening material (eg., rings, gel, etc..) to minimize the ringing. good luck !

User Info Menu

Alright. Well, I'll put the bottom heads back in, and I'll see what aquarian rings will do after I rereretune my toms
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Alright. Well, I'll put the bottom heads back in, and I'll see what aquarian rings will do after I rereretune my toms
    How little resonance are you looking to achieve? Pinstripes alone should be able to do the trick, let alone pinstripes with studio rings. If you want more of a thud, tune your reso head lower than your batter head. Bring up the reso head more and more, and you'll increase resonance, assuming the batter head is kept at the same tension. Try to stand out in front of you kit though, and have somebody play it. What may sound like a studio sound behind your kit may really sound like a person thumping on tubs if there is no resonance. Just my $.02
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I'm looking for that "boom" sond without there being any extra resonance.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Ok, for starters though you will want your resonate heads back on. Try to tune them as low as you can, this will hinder the resonance of your drum more and make it more of that "thud" sound you seek. *If I am interpreting the sound correctly* After you get the reso tuned, tune up your batter as low as you can and play the drum. It will probably sound pretty dull and lifeless, so you can bring up the batter head with quarter turns or so until you get that "thud" sound. You will not want to have a tight reso head here, because that will just lead to more resonance and projection, which is the opposite of what you are looking for.

User Info Menu

Alright, I'll try that when I get home

on.... sunday.... But I will
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Well, It's Wednesday now... how'd you do?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Dude...remember when your little brother poked holes in your moongel? Get those moongels back and slap some on the toms that you think have too much resonance and start placing the mongel around the drum batter or resonace head to see if you can dial in the sound you like.

User Info Menu

Late, that would help if I didn't throw away the moongel.

Cycle, I lost my drum key and I can't find any of my other ones. It's gonna have to wait awhile.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Late, that would help if I didn't throw away the moongel.

Cycle, I lost my drum key and I can't find any of my other ones. It's gonna have to wait awhile.
    no drum key? dig out your dad's socket set and find the socket you need..remember to tell him or else.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    no drum key? dig out your dad's socket set and find the socket you need..remember to tell him or else.........
    Are you sure that would work? The key I lost works just like it.. except it's a key.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Are you sure that would work? The key I lost works just like it.. except it's a key.
    It will in a pinch....a socket will at least get some torque on the tuning lug to slightly tighten a drum head while you look for your key. I'll get you the size you need.
    Edit:
    7mm or 1/4" socket will get enough on the tuning lug to tighten or lossen it....just tried it myself to double check the size.
    Last edited by late8; 07-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Dude, crank your reso's tight. Loosen your batters to just finger tight. Press your knuckle into the center of the batter, tighten your lugs to just past the point where the wrinkles disappear. There's your thud with little resonance. Fine tune to taste, moon-gel where needed. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Dude, crank your reso's tight. Loosen your batters to just finger tight. Press your knuckle into the center of the batter, tighten your lugs to just past the point where the wrinkles disappear. There's your thud with little resonance. Fine tune to taste, moon-gel where needed. Cheers.
    Penguin, isn't this the opposite of what you said? lol

Wolvie, I'll try that. See what happens.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Penguin, isn't this the opposite of what you said? lol

Wolvie, I'll try that. See what happens.
    With the reso heads, yes. Same idea with the batters though.

This is the best part about being a drummer though, experimenting. You can try all sorts of tunings (Trust me, I have) and after a while, you find what works for you and your drums. Its a never ending process, but it is fun nonetheless.

User Info Menu

What I've found with Remo Pins is that if you tune your reso's loose. And your batters loose to begin with, they sound like your hitting a wet fish, and you end up tightening the batters past the thud point in order to get a good sound. By tightening your reso's, and tuning the batters loose, what little resonance you achieve because the reso's are tight, seems to compensate and compliment the loose batters, and get the right rock thud that I like. That's what I have found anyway.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash