Thread: Reading Music

User Info Menu

Default Reading Music

How many of you can read music?
    I can't. unfortunatley

User Info Menu

i do....it helps alot....i would definatley recomend spending the time and effort to do so

User Info Menu

Some. I understand it and will ocasionally use it to get an idea of the groove. But not fluent.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

nadanote none, zilch ----------oh well i still luv2play

User Info Menu

I read. Rhythmic notation only.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    i do....it helps alot....i would definatley recomend spending the time and effort to do so
    I agree. I learned when I was 10 and later when I took private lessons when I was 16-18. Learning can only help.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

i learned how to read music when i was 10 and i still remember how but yeah it helps out alot... especially when you are writing a song
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

i read music too..
    but you'd be surprised how many big bands have drummers that dont read music.. its crazy
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

that's true...but u'de also be surprised at how many bands even rock bands require that u read

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    Me too. I think you'll then look back and be glad you did. Its useful in so many applications (teaching, charting, sight-reading gigs, etc.).

User Info Menu

Hey, if Jimi Hendrix didn't read...I aint readin!!!! LOL, naw, just kidding. I need to learn to read, I personally have an upcoming opportunity and I need to learn how to read.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Read music? I'm a drummer! I can hardly read english!!!

Just kidding. I learned to read music when my grandmother taught me piano back when I was 6, so learning drum sheet music was a breeze. I highly recomend learning it as it will only make you a better drummer! Plus, when you are practicing by yourself and are'nt able to record, you can just jot down any new arrangements you have come up with and don't have to worry about forgetting them later.

User Info Menu

the only problems i have with reading music is that a lot of books will change their set up of were they put each of the cymbals and toms so i dont always know what way to read it... if you know what i mean
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

yeah...books do vary a little...it's not a big deal though as long as u become efficient at reading, because when u get a new piece of music it will tell you what is on each line...and for the most part all books agree on where to put the main stuff like the bass drum and the snare and hh....

User Info Menu

Im pretty damn lucky i can read music. I know it helps a lot on the drumline because im not that good at listening to something and playing it so i find it a good back up when i cant learn by ear.

User Info Menu

I think readings importan as a quick way of copying other artists, but even more useful when making your own songs, as its a standard(ish) notation of all your ideas, which are easily forgotten, and allows other people to understand what your playing, ie other members of the band etc...

User Info Menu

i know how to read its funny tough because my dad was in a high school drumline never learned to read and he took really long (months) to get half as good as he was but he has a really good ear and sadly i dont have a good enough ear to go without reading but when im 38 i still want to be better than i am now and not have to gain it back so
    Cheers to reading
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

I once knew a keyboard player that couldn't play a note (literally) if he didn't have some type of sheet music in front of him. He didn't play in bands; he was an insurance agent. Went over to his house one day and he played beautifully. I asked him to play something as I was humming it to him. He couldn't do it. So I asked him to just make something up. He couldn't do it. This guy was literally incapable of improvisation of any sort. I found that sad.

User Info Menu

hmmm thats pretty weird, well i suppose if you don't keep an open mind about learning an instrument you will reach hurdles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    I once knew a keyboard player that couldn't play a note (literally) if he didn't have some type of sheet music in front of him. He didn't play in bands; he was an insurance agent. Went over to his house one day and he played beautifully. I asked him to play something as I was humming it to him. He couldn't do it. So I asked him to just make something up. He couldn't do it. This guy was literally incapable of improvisation of any sort. I found that sad.
    that sux i dont bother playing any pieces anymore i just improvise on piano. which sux cos im due to take my grade 8 soon and rle cant b botherd lerning the pieces lol...