Thread: First post! (and a question about trigger compatibility)

User Info Menu

Default First post! (and a question about trigger compatibility)

I recently purchased a Yamaha Explorer kit. I am happy with it for the most part but would like to replace a couple of pads with 2 or 3 zone units. Will Roland or Alesis pads work with this kit? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: First post! (and a question about trigger compatibility)

Welcome to Drum Chat, Swampgas.

There are several factors to consider when swapping between brands. Do they use the same type of cabling for connections?

My experience is if you have a double zone pad, it requires a two channel cable in order for everything to function correctly. Does your sound module support that?

The second aspect is sensitivity. If you can dial that in to your liking on the foreign pads you should be good to go.

Lastly, will it physically connect up to your existing rig?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swampgas View Post
    I recently purchased a Yamaha Explorer kit. I am happy with it for the most part but would like to replace a couple of pads with 2 or 3 zone units. Will Roland or Alesis pads work with this kit? Thanks!
    Any pads should work with that module, although you may have to do some tweaking. But why would you want Alesis or Roland pads? Alesis pads are trash and Roland pads are usually about double in price for the same quality as Yamaha.

Be aware that the only multiple zone inputs you have on that module are snare, ride, and crash. The snare supports three zones while the ride and crash support two.

I'd recommend getting a Yamaha TP65S for the snare, which looks just like the pads you have now but is 3-zone (costs about $90). If you wanted to upgrade the cymbals you could go with either a PCY135 or PCY155. They're both 3-zone cymbals (although your module will only trigger two) and are basically the same except for their size (PCY135 = 13 inches, PCY155 = 15 inches). Either can be used for ride or crash. These are half the price of Roland cymbals (and are better, actually) and there's no point in even comparing them to Alesis. Alesis stuff really is horrible (hardware, not modules).
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

My goal is to have a cross stick sound along with my snare sound and have a combination crash/ride pad (or ride/ride bell with another crash.)

User Info Menu

My goal is to have a cross stick sound along with my snare sound and have a combination crash/ride pad (or ride/ride bell with another crash.)
    The Yamaha TP65S is 3-zone so you SHOULD be able to do cross stick with it. Haven't tried one myself, though, so I can't confirm this. But I can't imagine the two additional zones not being in the rim (cross stick up top, rim shot on bottom). This is the TP65S:

Your other option, if you want a beefier looking snare, is the TP100S or TP120S (same pad, different sizes. 100S = 10 inches, 120S = 12 inches). It's also a 3-zone. This can be difficult to find because it's being phased out and replaced by the DTX-TCS pads, which your module is not compatible with. If you do find one though, they're usually about $120. Here's the TP100S:

As for the cymbals, the ones I mentioned are your best bet. The three triggers are bell, bow, and edge. With only supporting the two triggers, your module will likely only trigger bow and edge but you can assign any sound to any trigger.

User Info Menu

It's been a looooonnnnng time since I dealt with electric drums. The first set I ever had was one the first Alesis D4's with those single zone Roland triangle pads. It's come a long way!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat swampgas! I can't help much on this thread, so welcome will have to do,
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

What DTXplorer kit do you have?....personally, I would stick with Yamaha on your pads...they will work better than an aftermarket pad....and agree with DLdante on the cymbals...the PCY-135/155 are as good as it gets and quite a bit cheaper than their roland counterparts....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    What DTXplorer kit do you have?....personally, I would stick with Yamaha on your pads...they will work better than an aftermarket pad....and agree with DLdante on the cymbals...the PCY-135/155 are as good as it gets and quite a bit cheaper than their roland counterparts....
    Welcome to Drumchat and I agree with Scorch whammin
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    What DTXplorer kit do you have?
    There's only one version of the DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    There's only one version of the DTXplorer.
    My bad.. you are correct...was thinking DTXpress.....

swampgas... on the DTXplorer you only have (1) 3 zone input on that module (#1 snare input), (2) 2 zone inputs (#5 ride & #6 crash)...all the rest are single zone inputs (#2, #3, #4 toms & #7 hihat)..so adding 2/3 zone pads won't do you any good...my recommendation to you is if you want to have multi zone drum pads is to save up and get the DTXpress IV module (I'm pretty sure it has a few more multi zone choices), or better yet get a used DTXtreme II or III module....99% certain every input is multi zone on them.

Decided to review manual on DTXpress IV...here's the breakdown on the DTXpress IV inputs
    (1) 3 zone input on snare
    Tom 1/10, Tom 2/11, Tom 3/12 & Kick 8/9 are mono inputs that can be split (w/ y-shaped adaptor) to add more single zone pads (i.e., toms, kick, etc..)
    Input (5) Ride is conpatible with 3 zone pad
    Input (6) Crash is compatible with 3 zone pad
    Input (7) Hihat is compatible with stereo pad (w/ switches)
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 07-11-2010 at 11:56 AM.

User Info Menu

With those options I will be good to go. I started my musical life as a drummer, played in clubs for quite a while. I took a hiatus from playing, sold all my stuff. I soon regretted it. What I really needed was a short break, not to totally quit. I started back by playing bass (and still do) with a classic rock trio. www.jimiandthefiredogs.com

What started me back on drums was a call from some old friends that wanted to play acoustic based stuff/reworked rock tunes, etc. I used a psuedo ****tail kit that I built and it worked great for some stuff, but I felt limited as far as tones were concerned. After a of research and youtube viewing I picked up the Explorer kit (it costs what I had in m Paypal account!)

It's not the greatest set made, but the ease of transport, ease of stage volume control, and useable sounds make it practical for me. I gigged with it for the first time this week. We played in a club that would have been too small to play (enthusiastically) with an acoustic kit. The guys I played with loved them.