Thread: Recording tutorial?

User Info Menu

Default Recording tutorial?

I've had a behringer xenyx 2442 mixer and a cad 7 peice mic set for about a year now. It works great for what I'm using it for. It allows me to record myself, to play over music (whether I record the music or just the drums), to let me listen to a metronome but not record it, etc.

But now I'm interested in learning a little more about recording. I was wondering if there are any tutorials out there for total beginners.

Spefically I'm curious about levels. My mixer has a trim knob. My understanding is when I solo that channel to check pre-fader level I want the absolute loudest possible note to just barely touch the red "clip" LED.

So once all my trims are set, I need to figure out how to set the faders for each channel. What levels should I shooting for on the entire mix? Right now I have it so that the loudest notes just touch the CLIP LED (or the +10db LED just prior to clipping). But I'm not sure that's right. I keep hearing about leaving head room, etc.

I'd also like to learn about mic setup, EQing, etc.

It's pretty obvious I have no clue what I'm doing, so I figured maybe this would be a good time for me to do some reading. Are there any good tutorials online or good books for beginners that someone can recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording tutorial?

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?