Thread: I have no clue. Can someone please explain to me how to record drums?

User Info Menu

Default I have no clue. Can someone please explain to me how to record drums?

Ok, so all I know is that you obviously needs microphones. I've got a set picked out, but after that I have no idea what I need/have to do.

I think I'll probably need a mixer, but I'm not sure if I will, maybe I'll need an equalizer...basically, I'm completely clueless as I'm a complete amateur to recording, can someone please explain to me step by step what I'll have to do?

I don't need any help "getting the right sound" or any of that, I just need to know how to get the sound from my drums to computer. Apparentally there is NO tutorial for this anywhere on the Internet -.-
    Last edited by drummer; 07-12-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: commercial link

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have no clue. Can someone please explain to me how to record drums?

Hi Eric and welcome to Drum Chat. I had to remove the commercial link as they are not permitted in Drum Chat (except for paid advertisers).

I think if you search the archives here you'll find a lot of info on this. Others will chime in regardless and help you out. I'm not the expert on this but I know Drum Bum has a few tips in their drum lessons area: Tips on Recording Drums This might at least get you started. They're constantly adding on new lessons so you can refer back to it now and then.

Welcome again. Great to have you as a new member.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have no clue. Can someone please explain to me how to record drums?

Thanks very much, but none of that helped me. I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do with these mics.

User Info Menu

Here's a recent thread:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ecording+drums

If you need a fundamental tutorial, you might want to just invest in a book. It will be well worth it and you'll have it as a continual reference. Here's a drum recording book/dvd combo:

The Drum Recording Handbook/DVD

Note: Drum Bum is the owner of DrumChat and any purchases through their company help support the cost of running this forum.

User Info Menu

Dang, I didn't know drumbum had full on lessons regarding this. That's excellent, thanks from me too drummer!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Alrighty then let's see what I can come up with. Yup, mics plug into something. If recording is all you want to do, then you will need some sort of audio interface. Its a box that will have inputs (where the mics go) and an output to connect to the pc. This connection can be USB (may get a bit slow in performance, latency issues etc..) or firewire, but your pc must have a firewire input on it. Generally you can get away with 1 dynamic mic per drum, and then 2 overhead condenser mics. So your audio interface will have to have 6,7,8 etc inputs, depending on how big your kit is. You will need some sort of software to run your interface on your computer. Often a lighter (fewer featured) version of the software comes with your interface.
    If you intend on on playing live, it may be better to buy a mixer to plug your mics into, but make sure it comes with an audio interface built in, again that USB or firewire thingy.
    With mixers, the number of channels will depend on your needs- your kit as well as your band members'.

Let's see what happens after this post!

User Info Menu

funkyruss is correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Alrighty then let's see what I can come up with. Yup, mics plug into something. If recording is all you want to do, then you will need some sort of audio interface. Its a box that will have inputs (where the mics go) and an output to connect to the pc. This connection can be USB (may get a bit slow in performance, latency issues etc..) or firewire, but your pc must have a firewire input on it. Generally you can get away with 1 dynamic mic per drum, and then 2 overhead condenser mics. So your audio interface will have to have 6,7,8 etc inputs, depending on how big your kit is. You will need some sort of software to run your interface on your computer. Often a lighter (fewer featured) version of the software comes with your interface.
    If you intend on on playing live, it may be better to buy a mixer to plug your mics into, but make sure it comes with an audio interface built in, again that USB or firewire thingy.
    With mixers, the number of channels will depend on your needs- your kit as well as your band members'.

Let's see what happens after this post!
    Ok, that was what I was looking for. So my understanding is right now that if I plug all of my mics (there will be 7 of them) into an interface which plugs into the computer via firewire/USB, it would basically be the same as plugging in a microphone, right? With an audio interface, will I be able to adjust audio levels for each individual mic on the interface? And would an interface record seven seperate tracks, or just combine it all down to one track? Also, would I even need a mixer if I had an audio intereface (for recording only, not for playing live)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    funkyruss is correct.
    That's because I listen to Nucjd!

User Info Menu

Well thanks Funkyruss. Appreciate the kudos.

User Info Menu

Alright. I think I'm pretty much good to go now. Just to make sure I have got this right:

I found a seven pack of mics which is perfect for me. It comes with seven XLR cables which will plug into my 8 channel audio interface (with phantom power for the condensers). The audio interface will plug into my computer via USB. Then I just download a program to record with and that should be it, right?

The only question I have left is will the audio interface combine it down to one track, or will it record 7 seven tracks simultaneously? Or does it vary according to the interface?

User Info Menu

The program would probably come with the interface. Here in Canada it would likely be Cubase LE, as in limited edition. There are many programs out there- as long as the program understands the piece of hardware (compatibility, drivers) it will work with the audio interface. You may not need to download anything.
    The audio interface will determine how many tracks appear in your software. So if you buy an 8 channel interface, you will have control of, and see 8 tracks on the screen to record separately adjust, as if you're sitting in front of a mixer turning knobs............depending on what software you use. I use Adobe Audition, comes with a big software package. Perhaps others can chime in on what editing software they use..
    So ya set your 8,12, 16 channels to a happy level, then mix her down to 2 tracks, from your software...

It's all pretty cool
    R

User Info Menu

I would probably need a pretty decent sound card to record 7 tracks at once then wouldn't I -.-

User Info Menu

Your audio interface is an external sound card. For a DAW I would highly recommend REAPER. It's a very inexpensive DAW that works wonderfully, (and it's only $69 I believe.)

User Info Menu

And by that you mean the program I'd actualy use to record/mix with right?

User Info Menu

Yea, DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation. Sorry for not clarifying.

User Info Menu

Ok, yeah, I checked out REAPER and it looks pretty sick! Thanks for that

User Info Menu

Ok, I'd just like to thank everyone for helping me out with this, I've got it all figured out and should be buying everything within the next month or so! I'll let you know how it goes

User Info Menu

i have a dumb question and i do not mean to hijack this thread. i understand the basic signal flow from microphones to eventually a recording device. the question i have is when you mix down your kit are you able to clean up the sound of your kit?

like if i want a little more bottom end on the tom toms, and maybe a cleaner cymbal sound, more stick definition on the ride. things like this.

all of the sound clips i have heard of miked drums sound very nice. when i play my kit with some ear muffs on ( the kind from a gun range) they kit sounds great. when i play with no ear plugs or muffs the kit sound a little rough.

i wounder if miking drums does more than just pick them up for recording or running them through a pa. again sorry for hi jacking this thread.

User Info Menu

It all comes down to the mics your using, but you can also edit and enhance your sound using stuff like EQ and compression. I'm not really an expert on this stuff so i'm not sure.

dave0549jv Guest

I've been curious about many of the same things... I'm glad this post is here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bytor View Post
    i have a dumb question and i do not mean to hijack this thread. i understand the basic signal flow from microphones to eventually a recording device. the question i have is when you mix down your kit are you able to clean up the sound of your kit?

like if i want a little more bottom end on the tom toms, and maybe a cleaner cymbal sound, more stick definition on the ride. things like this.

all of the sound clips i have heard of miked drums sound very nice. when i play my kit with some ear muffs on ( the kind from a gun range) they kit sounds great. when i play with no ear plugs or muffs the kit sound a little rough.

i wounder if miking drums does more than just pick them up for recording or running them through a pa. again sorry for hi jacking this thread.
    Whats up bytor.
    The short answer is yes you can add and subtract qualities in the box (i.e. while mixing in the computer). Actually a lot of things are done with plug ins on the track that massively enhance the sound and finish product. Ludwigkid is correct. Number one thing is room acoustics and then mics. Remember this, no matter how good the mix engineer is he/she can not make chicken salad out of chicken crap, therefore you really need good clean dry tracks for the mix engineer ( be it yourself or a professional) so you can mix it properly and end up with a good product. For an example I will take my batter side snare track duplicate it and then side chain it to the original track and put a reverb plug in on it with a reverb tail to give a cannon sound to my snare, but that does not matter if the original track was poorly record. My brother ( a mix engineer) and I are working on a video to post up that will show the hardware chain and also show how each step effects the sound of the tracks from the start to the finish product. Hopefully that will help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Whats up bytor.
    The short answer is yes you can add and subtract qualities in the box (i.e. while mixing in the computer). Actually a lot of things are done with plug ins on the track that massively enhance the sound and finish product. Ludwigkid is correct. Number one thing is room acoustics and then mics. Remember this, no matter how good the mix engineer is he/she can not make chicken salad out of chicken crap, therefore you really need good clean dry tracks for the mix engineer ( be it yourself or a professional) so you can mix it properly and end up with a good product. For an example I will take my batter side snare track duplicate it and then side chain it to the original track and put a reverb plug in on it with a reverb tail to give a cannon sound to my snare, but that does not matter if the original track was poorly record. My brother ( a mix engineer) and I are working on a video to post up that will show the hardware chain and also show how each step effects the sound of the tracks from the start to the finish product. Hopefully that will help.
    thanks for getting back to me my first step will to make chicken salad first..