Thread: Roland CY-8 cymbal problem!

User Info Menu

Default Roland CY-8 cymbal problem!

Hey guys.

I recently bought a Roland CY-8 cymbal to replace my old unknown one. So yesterday I attached my new Roland Cymbal to my drum kit, and I immediately figured out a major problem. The cymbal works great on its own, but when I hit the cymbal simultaneously with any other pad, the cymbal wont register a hit. (The Kick Pedal being the worst case, as the cymbal almost never registers a hit simultaneous with the Bass)

I tried adjusting the sensitivity, as well as crosstalk, but I can't seem to figure out the problem. My old unknown Cymbal didn't have the same problem, so I guess my Module is not causing the problem? I've got the Yamaha DTXPress IV by the way.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland CY-8 cymbal problem!

Did you buy this cymbal new?..if so, why not take it back and get a Yamaha PCY-135...they're a much better cymbal than the CY-8 and not that much more expensive..RMC Audio sells them for $119 shipped, I believe.
    As far as compatibility goes...not sure...I've used Yamaha e-cymblas with roland modules with no problems...but haven't tried the other way around..doesn;t seem like it would be a problem..just not completely sure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland CY-8 cymbal problem!

Yeah, I bought the cymbal completely new. I could return it, and buy the one you mentioned, but how will I know if that one will work properly?

Also, what is the difference between the 2 cymbals. What makes the Yamaha one better? And while I'm here, what cables will I need in order to make dual triggering work on the mentioned cymbals?