Thread: Back in the game

User Info Menu

Default Back in the game

Hi All. After 15 years of playing rhythm guitar I am moving back behind the drumkit, were I spent 30yrs. prior to picking up the guitar. I play part time on weekends, never travel more than a couple of hrs. away and always move my own equipment. When I stopped playing I was using Premier-England drums. I have been looking at different stlyes and have tentatively decided on a Gretsch Catalina Maple set. I have read thru the other posts and would like to get one more round of ya's or na's.

Thanks, emac.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Back in the game

Welcome to drumchat, emac.

The Gretsch Catalina Maple are popular for a reason. What are the factors that led to your decision?

User Info Menu

Welcome to our family Emac!

User Info Menu

I want to use some of the new technology drum design. When I stopped playing they had just started using isolated mounts and so on. The Catalina Euro seemed pretty up to date with the latest techy stuff. I also liked all the youtube stuff I heard. And of course the brand name. We play mostly r&b and funk type 70,80's music. I thought they would be a good fit at a decent price.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat emac! I can certainly recommend the Catalina Maple kit as a quality kit, and with the 6 drums, you have the flexiblity to configure it in a variety of ways. I don't have the experience behind the kit that you do, but I have never had a more experienced drummer sit behind my kit and not rave about the sound of the drums.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat emac! I can certainly recommend the Catalina Maple kit as a quality kit, and with the 6 drums, you have the flexiblity to configure it in a variety of ways. I don't have the experience behind the kit that you do, but I have never had a more experienced drummer sit behind my kit and not rave about the sound of the drums.

Again, welcome!
    Is that your kit in the avatar? Is that the transparent amber finish?

User Info Menu

Yes, and yes. The official name of the finish is "Deep Amber," and yes it lets the wood grain show through beautifully.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

That's the color I will probably go with. The website pics do not do it justice. Great looking kit. What type of music do you play?

User Info Menu

Well, emac, I have been playing for about 1/10 the time that you have (a little better than 3 years now), so the stuff I play is the stuff I grew up on - Classic Rock - and Contemporary Christian music. I am branching out and exploring the Blues a bit now as well. I wish I had started drumming many years ago, when I had more time on my hands. At 55 years young, though, I am just playing for my own enjoyment and trying to be the best that I can be, no matter how long it takes me to get there.

User Info Menu

Welcome, Welcome !! The gretsch is a fine choice ! I would suggest You look at others in the price range before You drop da cash . The tama superstars are a fine set they have cast hoops and rave reviews ! Also mapex has the meridians. Yamaha has the stage customs . Just many sets in that price range and then the way i like to shop....used ! Man I gotta say that for the money You will spend on a new mid level set You can get a nice used pro level set !! This is a great family friendly site here and We will forgive You for going to the dark side hahaha Welcome back to the drum side !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emac View Post
    Hi All. After 15 years of playing rhythm guitar I am moving back behind the drumkit, were I spent 30yrs. prior to picking up the guitar. I play part time on weekends, never travel more than a couple of hrs. away and always move my own equipment. When I stopped playing I was using Premier-England drums. I have been looking at different stlyes and have tentatively decided on a Gretsch Catalina Maple set. I have read thru the other posts and would like to get one more round of ya's or na's.
    Awesome! Welcome back, Emac....also, can't go wrong with a Gretsch set. Rock on !

User Info Menu

Welcome back and check out the PDP's also

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board emac, you wont be sory that you got the Gretsch set. They are a good set, there are several on here that play them and love them.

Let us know whaat you get and post some pics if you can.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    Welcome back and check out the PDP's also
    Do you know which of the PDP lines is comparable to the Gretsch Catalina Euro series?

User Info Menu

Do you know which of the PDP lines is comparable to the Gretsch Catalina Euro series?
    I did some price point shopping for you since your question has perked up my interest. This is the closest match in price but birch vs maple shell pack only.

Gretsch Catalina Euro birch 5 pc. Shell pack is $779 USD

PDP's closest price point to the Gretsch was this kit:

PDP X7 maple shell pack $899 USD

User Info Menu

Is anyone here using the PDP X7 drums? I am curious to hear what they think of the mounting hardware and tom mounts.

User Info Menu

And while we are on the subject, do you really hear a difference in toms mounted on the bass drum compared to mounted on a cymbal stand or rack? I mean, I remember a time in the eighties when I had a single power tom mounted on a snare stand instead of the bass drum. But I don't recall a huge difference in sound. It was pretty much for the look.

User Info Menu

And while we are on the subject, do you really hear a difference in toms mounted on the bass drum compared to mounted on a cymbal stand or rack? I mean, I remember a time in the eighties when I had a single power tom mounted on a snare stand instead of the bass drum. But I don't recall a huge difference in sound. It was pretty much for the look.
    In my opinion yes, it does make a difference if the toms are off of the bass drum. I think having less mass occupying the top of the shell of the bass drum will allow it to resonate better. In my opinion, having slightly off set toms clears the resonate heads of the top of the bass drum allowing the toms to project out with a little more clearnance. I've gone as far as blocking off the tom mount with a Pearl BBC-1 block plate. But in the end, all that matters is comfy positioning and you choose to suit your playing needs.
    Here's a shot:
    Last edited by late8; 07-14-2010 at 09:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yes, and yes. The official name of the finish is "Deep Amber," and yes it lets the wood grain show through beautifully.

Every time I see this kit, I want to jump on it and hear it sing! Man what a beauty!