Thread: Pearl 900 series bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default Pearl 900 series bass pedal

I had borrowed an old Pearl from a friend and put a post up on this forum to see anyone could identify it. I was told it looked like an old P100 predecessor to the P120. I loved the pedal it was fast, very responsive, and a pleasure to play. So when it came time to buy my own bass pedal I figured if the pedal I was using was a P120 then the P900 would have to be much better. I ordered the P900 it came and it was nothing like the P100. The old pedal has the bass hoop clamp out the side, the 900 has the wing bolt under the pedal, the old pedal has the spring hook to a solid cast aluminum piece that is connected to the cam rod, the 900 has a funky bent spring that loops over a plastic or nylon type washer. Also the older pedal has a lighter spring, the 900 a heavyer spring. I the researched the Pearl line and come to find out the old pedal I was told was a P100 compares more to the P1000. Now my review on the 900, compared to the old pearl I don't like it, it feels heavy does not have no where near the speed of the old pedal nor the response I like. I think between the heavyer spring and the fact it hooks to a washer type thing creates more drag, it takes more effort to do doubles and triplets so far are near impossible. I have only had this pedal a week but am thinking of dumping it and go with the P1000 or P2000C or maybe an IC.
    I don't know what all the hora is about "award winning 900 series" the 900 series stands may be ok but personally I don't care for the 900 pedal. I like a light, fast responsive feel to a pedal, defiantly not a heavy slow sluggish feel. I have played around with the adjustments but no matter what I've tried I have not found any setting that helps this pedal.
    Last edited by bustoff; 07-12-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Mapex Pro M maple 5 piece standard Pearl 900 series hardware all Zildjian A cymbals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl 900 series bass pedal

Quote Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
    I had borrowed an old Pearl from a friend and put a post up on this forum to see anyone could identify it. I was told it looked like an old P100 predecessor to the P120. I loved the pedal it was fast, very responsive, and a pleasure to play. So when it came time to buy my own bass pedal I figured if the pedal I was using was a P120 then the P900 would have to be much better. I ordered the P900 it came and it was nothing like the P100. The old pedal has the bass hoop clamp out the side, the 900 has the wing bolt under the pedal, the old pedal has the spring hook to a solid cast aluminum piece that is connected to the cam rod, the 900 has a funky bent spring that loops over a plastic or nylon type washer. Also the older pedal has a lighter spring, the 900 a heavyer spring. I the researched the Pearl line and come to find out the old pedal I was told was a P100 compares more to the P1000. Now my review on the 900, compared to the old pearl I don't like it, it feels heavy does not have no where near the speed of the old pedal nor the response I like. I think between the heavyer spring and the fact it hooks to a washer type thing creates more drag, it takes more effort to do doubles and triplets so far are near impossible. I have only had this pedal a week but am thinking of dumping it and go with the P1000 or P2000C or maybe an IC.
    I don't know what all the hora is about "award winning 900 series" the 900 series stands may be ok but personally I don't care for the 900 pedal. I like a light, fast responsive feel to a pedal, defiantly not a heavy slow sluggish feel. I have played around with the adjustments but no matter what I've tried I have not found any setting that helps this pedal.
    My drum teacher has a 900 series double on his kit and it is alright. Not the speediest of pedals, but it is solid. I will agree though that 900 series stands are better than the pedals though, the stands are top-notch.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I totally agree the 900 stands are nice, I also like those Pearl 800 convertible boom stands the 900 bass pedal seems heavy duty enough may be ok for allot of single beat playing but not so great for where speed at long durations are needed. I play single so I need all the help I can get from a pedal. My 900 pedal is only a week old but it's going up on ebay. For now I am going to put that old borrowed pedal back on. I do hope this review helps out for anyone considering the 900 pedal. I'll try to get pics of the spring set up on the different pedals.
    Mapex Pro M maple 5 piece standard Pearl 900 series hardware all Zildjian A cymbals.

User Info Menu

Perfect timing! I have a Sound Percussion single pedal on my kit right now, and while looking into double pedals i figured, for like a backup or for gigging situations once i put a band together, it would be best to have a nice single pedal too. I planned on donating the SP to my old elementary school, they have a kit but no pedal, and buying this single pedal. I saw it on MF for $50 and thought it looked solid, but now with this review i will have to either keep the Sound Percussion for my backup, or look elsewhere.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Here are the differences in springs. P900 Vs old P101, the set up on the 101 is also used on the P201P. P1000, and P2000.

P900 note how they mickey mouse the spring. I think this set up adds allot of extra friction, friction slows a pedal down and takes away from response and sensitivity. You end up having to work harder to accomplish the same thing you can get from a more user friendly pedal. Not to mention I don't think it will stand up over time as the P100. If you see this spring set up on any pedal you are considering I would walk away. This seems to be the standard for lower end pedals.

I call this the paperclip setup

Here it is from the back view, not to impressive to me, Looks to me like after only 1 week of playing it is already starting to bend downward. See gap at top of nylon busing and no gap at bottom of bushing, Obviously the bushing will need replacement from time to time. Spring is set as loose as it will go now.

This is this the spring set up on the old P101 and 201 I believe less friction and more durability. If you see this spring set up I would put it on the consider to buy list. Note the spring is mounted to a cast piece that has cast tabs on either side of it. No nylon bushing with a paper clip looking piece held together with a screw. Only maintenance need here is a drop or 2 or oil now and then. This is the setup used on the P1000, P2000 and most other mid to upper level pedals.

And the P1000 and P2000 also have the good spring set up, no paper clip

These are just my thoughts and goes along with my review of the P900 pedal.
    Last edited by bustoff; 07-17-2010 at 09:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I just picked up a P-100 pedal off CL for $25 to use as a backup pedal. The guy said it was a nice pedal and after seeing it and the nice footplate and how smooth it was I bought it on the spot. He had taken very good care of it and even though a few years old was in excellent condition. He had not really gigged with it and not beat it up at all. After fooling around adjusting it some, this pedal is really good. I have it on my main set now.

User Info Menu

I'm not really sure what the deal is with the P100. I think there may have been 2 models of it the P100 and the P201. I do know some have the paper clip type wire for the spring and use rods for the foot board I think this is the P100 and then there is a model with the nice spring set up with a metal plate under the foot board I think this may be a P201. The one I have has the nice spring with the steel plate under the foot board.

Here is an ebay link to the one I have wish it was mine but it is borrowed and eventually will have to give it up.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

User Info Menu

You know what, mine has the nice spring and metal footboard too. I just looked and mine says P-101P on the heel plate. It's a nice pedal. The difference in ours is mine is a single chain drive and the footboard is the same except mines does not have the pearl logo in the middle but the same foot and heel plate plate design.
    Last edited by VIbes; 07-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmmm the one I have here is also single chain and logo at bottom of foot board but it is not marked with a model number but from your info looks like we nailed it down. The 201 must be double chain with base plate and 101 must be single chain with base plate and the 100 single chain no base plate.

User Info Menu

Your exactly correct. I was going by the pic from the ebay link you posted.
    It was a double chain with Pearl logo in the middle and ours has the logo at the bottom before the heel plate and single chain, but except for that exactly the same. We must have the same pedal.
    I have been researching it and some people on different forums say it is the best pedal Pearl has ever made. Mine has the P-101P at the very end of the heel plate in white lettering. I'm definately hanging on to mine. I wonder how much they were new.

User Info Menu

I don't have a clue even when they were made but it's one of the nicest pedals I've used. Goes to show you you don't need allot of bells and whistles for a bass pedal to be great. You can't get much more basic than these 101's.
    Last edited by bustoff; 07-16-2010 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Update...... Got my hands on a P201, it's the same as the P101 but has double chain and I love it. The brand new P900 with only a few hours on it is now listed on ebay. I also found a P202 on ebay, it's a P201 but set up for doubles. I'm thinking I'd like to use the 201 as a slave to the 202. I need a connecting rod though, don't know where to find one. I'll get them cleaned up and post pictures soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I just picked up a P-100 pedal off CL for $25 to use as a backup pedal. The guy said it was a nice pedal and after seeing it and the nice footplate and how smooth it was I bought it on the spot. He had taken very good care of it and even though a few years old was in excellent condition. He had not really gigged with it and not beat it up at all. After fooling around adjusting it some, this pedal is really good. I have it on my main set now.
    P-100=Good pedal... Im using it on my kit also! Real smooth. Responsive.

Makes me happy. Happy face :DD
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

The 100's are nice but not in the same league as the P101. The 100 has a spring what I call the paper clip setup where it has a bent piece of metal the goes over a stud as can be seen in a couple of pictures I posted above (those pictures are of the P900). The 100 also has the hoop clamp wing not mounted under the foot board where the 101 has the wing nut site mounted. Also unless someone added it the 100 did not come with the base plate. The P101 is comparable to today's P1000. Where as the 100 is closer to today's 102.