Thread: Low Budget Recording

User Info Menu

Default Low Budget Recording

So me and my band are starting to record our first demo album. All we're using is a laptop with a little itty bitty mic. It does an ok job with picking up guitar and bass, but the drums sound TERRIBLE. You can't hear the kick or the toms, the hihat is ridiculously loud and the crash sounds like a trash can lid. Any advice on how to get a better sound? Position of the laptop? Volume? Anything?
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Low Budget Recording

This might sound dumb, but you know that Rock Band game? The microphone that comes with it is actually a pretty decent microphone. It's USB, and it installs itself. If this is just for a demo, I think this would suit your needs perfectly. My band has actually used one for the same purpose and we have recordings on YouTube, so I'll link you to one so you can see how it sounds [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqTCA4HhfeU"]here[/ame]. All we did was set it up in the middle of the room, closer to the amps because the drums tend to overpower the guitars. Set the vocal mic closest beecause it's generally the quietest.

Hope I helped!

User Info Menu

Use more than one rock band mic. I'm just sayin'. It helps with the clarity also, like you put one on one side of the room and another on the other side. My band, beinh the lucky b******s that we are, we're each getting 1 mic for our equipment, and we're even contemplating using the nice noise canceling Xbox 360 headset (turtle beach?) for vocals. Use Audacity to record, it'll record 'til it can't record no more. I put up a thread about this just before explaining how to do all this, check it out if you want Const.

Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Zoom H2. Works well for budget recording.

User Info Menu

If you have any kind of budget SGD is correct that even the least expensive field recorder will do a much better job than just using XBOX mic's. The least expensive one's are $150-$200.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The room you are in will make an enormous difference as well. If you can get lots of blankets, an old futon mattress, etc. to absorb some of the higher frequencies.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Right on CycleDude. ROOM ACOUSTICS. It does not matter if you are using a 50000 dollar recording system or a 5 dollar system, without correct room acoustics the recording will sound like garbage.

User Info Menu

Other than controlling the environment like stated above, give serious thought to muffling your drums and microphone positioning. I'm guessing your microphone is being overloaded by all the sound sources coming into it at once. You will have to do some experimenting with the position of it, and pick up some more cheap mics or else a more capable recorder. Boom is a problem I also have a problem with, but it got much easier to record once I muffled the kicks and toms! Check your levels for sure, both your recording volume and the volume of your mix should never be over a certain degree. How much volume to use depends on the size of the room itself. For smaller rooms a field recorder would be okay, but you won't be able to adjust the volume/frequencies of each part of your kit individually. How many usb ports does your computer have?
    Last edited by Russ; 08-05-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu