Thread: heads for tama rockstar

User Info Menu

Default heads for tama rockstar

Hey guys, first post. I am contemplating buying a 4 piece tama rockstar shell kit, and am wondering what would be the best heads to put on it. Not looking for any particular sound, just to bring out the best in the drums. I know nothing about heads so here's your chance to convert me

User Info Menu

Default Re: heads for tama rockstar

Everyone is just going to tell you what their favorite heads are, so I guess I'll start:

Evans G2 for the toms, with Evans G1 as resonant heads
    Evans Reverse Power Dot for snare with Hazy 300 as resonant
    Evans EMAD for bass drum with EMAD resonant
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kate713 View Post
    Hey guys, first post. I am contemplating buying a 4 piece tama rockstar shell kit, and am wondering what would be the best heads to put on it. Not looking for any particular sound, just to bring out the best in the drums. I know nothing about heads so here's your chance to convert me
    First of all...WELCOME TO DRUM CHAT!

I would second what DLDante said as a general rule... medium heavy resonant with a two-ply batter will bring out a nice low tone. The Hazy 300 is a fantastic all around snare-side head, and topped off with an Emad on kick.

I have a Rockstar kit that is now used by my stepson. I had good luck with Remo Ambassadors on resonant and Pinstripes on batter. At the moment it is fitted with Evans G1's on reso and Coated EC2's on batter.

Unlike my Superstars which used cast rims the Rockstars have the tom suspension system clamped to the flanged hoops and as a result they are tweaked a bit... so the heads with an "edge control" seem to even out tuning issues. I imagine the Aquarian heads with the Studio X ring would work also.
    Here's some pics of the Rockstars:

Last edited by davewilson; 07-14-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Wow! You're using EC2's and Moongel?
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I have one of the newer Superstar kits which if I remember correctly is pretty similar to the Rockstar in terms of shell composition. I've got Coated G2's over Clear G1's on the toms, Aquarian Super Kick II on the bass, and a G2 over a Hazy 300 on the snare (although I'm not currently using the snare). These heads work fantastically on my kit so I would imagine they'd be good on yours as well.

And welcome to Drum Chat!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Wow! You're using EC2's and Moongel?
    lol..no. That was a photo done before the Rockstar kit was packed up and sent off to Montana.
    I "staged" that pic with my '02 and Vault cymbals just so I'd have a decent pic of them.... look closely at the next two pics of my Tama Superstars and My Pearl Exports... also "staged" pics:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I have one of the newer Superstar kits which if I remember correctly is pretty similar to the Rockstar in terms of shell composition.
    The original Tama Rockstars were constructed of luan or "philippine mohagany".

The Rockstars that are sold exclusively through the GC/MF/M123 conglomerate are using a birch/basswood combination identical to the older Superstars... but the fit/finish (interior sanding and bearing edges)is not even close to the same

The current crop of Tama Superstars are sporting a 100% birch shell

I have seen a few Rockstars on clearance at the Sameday/ZZsounds/American Musical but I have no idea if they are really old inventory with the luan shells and plastic kick drum hoops or what.. I guess you could call and ask.

User Info Menu

haha, i was definitely expecting everyone to give me there favorite heads, thanks to all very helpful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    The original Tama Rockstars were constructed of luan or "philippine mohagany".

The Rockstars that are sold exclusively through the GC/MF/M123 conglomerate are using a birch/basswood combination identical to the older Superstars... but the fit/finish (interior sanding and bearing edges)is not even close to the same

The current crop of Tama Superstars are sporting a 100% birch shell

I have seen a few Rockstars on clearance at the Sameday/ZZsounds/American Musical but I have no idea if they are really old inventory with the luan shells and plastic kick drum hoops or what.. I guess you could call and ask.
    Yeah, I was thinking of the birch/basswood Rockstars when I said that. Similar shell composition to my birch/basswood Superstars.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat kate713!

I prefer a more open sound on my toms, that let's them sing, so I tend to go with a single ply batter head like the Evans G1, or the Remo Ambassador. The snare is trickier for me, because it depends a lot on the snare itself. I have several, and some sound best with an Evans Genera HD DRy batter head, and others seem better with an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot batter head. For the snare's resonant head, I agree with the Evans Hazy 300.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

im pritty sure Dave Grohl used aquarian 2 ply

i could be wrong

User Info Menu

I use remo coated emperors over ambassadors (toms) and emperor over ambassador hazy (snare) soon to be aquarian super kick 2 over stock head on kick.

I hope this helps.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

I have a Tama rockstar kit, it has Remo Coated Ambassadors on all drums and Remo Ambassador Snare Sides on all of the toms, using a Black Suede Snare Resonant. Aquarian Super Kick II batter stock resonant on the kick.

User Info Menu

I have the rockstar kit too, I had Evans Clear G2s over Clear G1s, remo CS on the snare tuned very tight over an Evans hazy 300. Great snare drum aswell. Really good drum kit.
    I Drum, therefore I am