Thread: Isolation Phones/Microphones

User Info Menu

Question Isolation Phones/Microphones

Hey guys,
    I purchased a pair of Vic Firth isolation headphones a while ago and just recently started wearing them do to ringing in my ears after playing. I was surprised that I wasn't at all annoyed by the feel of them and they made everything sound great, without resonance in my toms or ringing, or at least to what I could hear.
    I'm soon investing on a mic set for recording and wanted to know if the microphones would deliver the same satisfying sound as I hear through the headphones, or if that could even be done. Should I stop wasting my time with muffling?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

First, 32nd, let me congradulate you on a great purchase...
    Now To Your Question...
    It depends on what kind and what quality of mics you are buying, now, I am not an expert in this area [nor will I pretend to be], but, I to am on the market for a new set of mics, and am looking at buying the 'Shure PG Six' of Mics, they are application specific. Meaning, you buy that certain Shure PG for a Snare, a Tom, Bass Drums and Cymbals. If you are able to spend that kind of money [my band and me have just begun saving for mics and a recording suit] I would certainly recommend it, a Cardioid Condenser Mic [unsure of spelling of 'Cardioid'] is a good option, Maybe I just didn't catch it but, how mics are you looking at buying? Because this factor would greatly increase or decrease the quality and clearity in which you are recording.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Well I'm not all too high in the dough factory currently, so I'm looking around for cheap high-quality deals. I need at least 6 mics and a kick mic that can give back descent double bass reproduction since that's a big part of my style.

User Info Menu

if on a budget i suggest the sure pg. or the audix fusion packs. cheaper packs are out there but my experience with these are like everything else... you get what you pay for. you will be surprised how good of a recording you can get with just a kick mic and 2 decent overheads too.

User Info Menu

Aha, thanks bro.