Thread: Need help---differences among LP\Meinl\Remo Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Need help---differences among LP\Meinl\Remo Bongos

hey you guys, what a fantastic place here!! glad to see you all! i'm really a noobie in playing bongos. and i want to choose better bongos recently but has no experiences and concept on these brands. could anyone kindly give some advise for the featrue or difference of these brand?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help---differences among LP\Meinl\Remo Bongos

Hurila, welcome to the board! The majority of the popular brands are making very similar stuff, and you really can't go wrong with the 3 you've asked about. LP, Meinl, Remo, Pearl, Toca, and Gon Bops are all afordable and reliable instruments. They all have beginner, intermediate, and pro models, my suggestion is to always go with the best you can afford. Generally these guys are all using similar woods with variations in sizes, hardware and skins, though you can get fiberglass models as well. Some come with natural skin (far superior IMHO) and some come with synthetic skins, everyone has a preference. It isn't until you go all out with expensive handmade custom gear that you really start to see a significant difference in sound.

First thing is to decide how much you're willing to spend. Are they a practice set, do you plan to gig with them? How serious are you about learning bongos? The quality of an instrument can make or break the learning experience, nobody likes learning to play on an instrument that doesn't sound good. I would suggest looking in the used market over new, latin percussion instruments tend to have a low resale which means buying used can lead to some great deals on high quality stuff, but it also means that if you buy new and decide not to pursue it, you won't come close to making your money back in resale. Go play a few at the music store to get an idea of the sound and feel, then look for the model you like on craigslist or ebay for nearly half the price.

I would personally recommend any LP model Matador and above, or Gon Bops Tumbao, Alex Acuna, or CA series. The other brands get good reviews as well, but these are models that I've personally owned and can recommend. I would get ahold of some quality cow or mule skin for whatever you end up purchasing, we can help you mount them it is not hard at all.

User Info Menu

Gretschhead! thx very very much! your suggestion helps a lot!. There is not much option in my side, only LP\Meinl\Remo can be found, and the price is far away high than that in your side, so i have to think over and comparing. And may i ask whether Remo BG-7811-CV is Ok? i'd like to use the Remo head, considering the weather elements, but i not sure whether the shell of this type is good enough?

User Info Menu

I have not personally played that particular model, so I can't offer too much advise on it. Remo does make heads for just about every bongo out there though, so don't limit yourself to the one brand because of the heads. I do know that Remo uses a material called Acousticon which is a ply layout rather than the traditional staved construction, I'm not sure that it is even real wood. I have played their djembes made from the same material, and the shells offer an excellent amount of projection, though they can be a little ringy in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Hurila, welcome to the board! The majority of the popular brands are making very similar stuff, and you really can't go wrong with the 3 you've asked about. LP, Meinl, Remo, Pearl, Toca, and Gon Bops are all afordable and reliable instruments. They all have beginner, intermediate, and pro models, my suggestion is to always go with the best you can afford. Generally these guys are all using similar woods with variations in sizes, hardware and skins, though you can get fiberglass models as well. Some come with natural skin (far superior IMHO) and some come with synthetic skins, everyone has a preference. It isn't until you go all out with expensive handmade custom gear that you really start to see a significant difference in sound.

First thing is to decide how much you're willing to spend. Are they a practice set, do you plan to gig with them? How serious are you about learning bongos? The quality of an instrument can make or break the learning experience, nobody likes learning to play on an instrument that doesn't sound good. I would suggest looking in the used market over new, latin percussion instruments tend to have a low resale which means buying used can lead to some great deals on high quality stuff, but it also means that if you buy new and decide not to pursue it, you won't come close to making your money back in resale. Go play a few at the music store to get an idea of the sound and feel, then look for the model you like on craigslist or ebay for nearly half the price.

I would personally recommend any LP model Matador and above, or Gon Bops Tumbao, Alex Acuna, or CA series. The other brands get good reviews as well, but these are models that I've personally owned and can recommend. I would get ahold of some quality cow or mule skin for whatever you end up purchasing, we can help you mount them it is not hard at all.
    My $70.00 Bongos made in Peru, sound better than all the models metioned above ! Although the sizes of the shells & heads are same as LP,Matador ,Meinl etc...the wood is med hard woods...not soft Asian /Siam Oak, The difference is the Calf skin heads were perfect weight / gauge, mounted correctly on a shell w/ the correct beveled sound edge ! LP pro models are very sharp...being copied from early Valje models which was more like a sharp bearing edge of a snare drum...not good for the hands. Brand name & Artist endorsed model means nothing ! A Cheap pair of Rhythm Tech or Sonar Bongos most often have better heads than name brands ! I do not recomend any bongos with aluminium bottoms because cast metals will & do crack and are hard to re order or repair. Steel bottoms are best. REMO bongos are not made of wood...they are a man made product and can not crack along the grain as wood does. The hard wares are all very good & dependable and are the same sizes as top brands. They come w/ a variety of REMO plastic heads which are great for all bongos & less head replacement is needed later. I still prefer my own hand tucked skins though because plastic still sounds & feels plastic. I love my Meinl Bongos over the LP's, Toca or Gon Bops. Gon Bops are prone to cracking at the separator block where the shells are thin. ALL Asian Made Latin drums are more simular than they are different, using same materials & often made in the same factory anyway...only the cosmetic differences separate them. Would you prefer an empty soda can made by Coke or by diet Coke ? I strongly suggest you find the best veteran bongosero u can find to select the best skins for your bongos....then...find the appropriate brand bongo to mount them on. Since the shallow open bottomed design of bongos do not add resonance...it is the head that creates the crisp attack & head tones...as well as the hands & technique of the player. I have had used $50 Matador bongos...sound better than new top of line bongos, It's all about GOOD heads
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-18-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: add content

User Info Menu

Saludos, Adding a little more to this post I have a said that goes like this, Invest wise so you do not have to invest twice. As we all know every mass produce Bongos heads must be replace in order to reproduce a true sound, sometime they are paper thin and also made of the same everything.. So you may buy cheap but have to invest on a set of skins adding at least $80.00 more to the cost. Boutique type or hand made Artisan Bongos come ready to play and only you have to deal with developing a proper technic to play. Also they can be made to your specs including wood type, skins of your preference and thickness, measurements, ect, ect. The end result is a Bongo beautiful made, last longer ,sound superior and is a unique piece made to your taste.
    Last edited by Caballoballo; 08-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Need help---differences among LP\Meinl\Remo Bongos

Quote Originally Posted by hurila View Post
    hey you guys, what a fantastic place here!! glad to see you all! i'm really a noobie in playing bongos. and i want to choose better bongos recently but has no experiences and concept on these brands. could anyone kindly give some advise for the featrue or difference of these brand?
    First: Love your new avatar, caballoballo!

Now to your question, hurila:

I have played bongos from all three makes you've mentioned. Remos are a good value (and maybe a good way to start if your budget is as tight as bongo skins); I wrote a review on Remo bongos a while back in the Drum Review thread, so take a look at that, too.

As you have no doubt already seen, LPs and Meinls come in several different quality levels, so what follows is based on my own playing:

I own a pair of LP Professional Series II bongos that I bought in 1992. I use them for my church's music ensemble (and the occasional outside gig). I also own a pair of Meinls (of indeterminate age) that I scored from a pawn shop several years ago. IMHO, the LPs and Meinls sound pretty much the same, which to me means they give me good finger "crack" and "pop" sounds while cutting through the background music.

The Remos are much lighter than the LPs and Meinls, which makes them easier to play if you hold them between your knees. I prefer a stand since it's easier to play them whether you sit or stand with your congas.

The less expensive LP and Meinl models of course are smaller, lighter and their sound quality will vary from the Professional models. Play them all (or as many as you can) before you decide...it's gonna be mucho fun to discover what works for you, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hurila View Post
    Gretschhead! thx very very much! your suggestion helps a lot!. There is not much option in my side, only LP\Meinl\Remo can be found, and the price is far away high than that in your side, so i have to think over and comparing. And may i ask whether Remo BG-7811-CV is Ok? i'd like to use the Remo head, considering the weather elements, but i not sure whether the shell of this type is good enough?
    The REMO bongo shell material is perfect for bongos & Remo did a great job producing them & the heads for them. It was truely innovative ! The shells play only a small part in the vloice of a Bongo drum ! Basicly...open ended bongo shells do not add resonance, but fiberglass shells do sound brighter than wood or Remo man made shells. Remo Bongos / Cuban style....have good hard wares top to bottom and are not too heavy. The sound edges are bevelled to be good for your hands , and good for the heads. LP's sharp sound edges ( like a snare drum ) should come w/ a warning / disclaimer ! Remo Bongos & Timbales are FINE and actualy better than some name brands costing much more. I am not a fan of Remo Congas though...at least not as a lead drum....but as 2 nd & 3 rd...OK. I often tweak Remo plastic heads to controll over tone ring & make each drum sound as it should...not as it came ! lol