Thread: bongobro, please help me! thx a lot!

User Info Menu

Default bongobro, please help me! thx a lot!

hello Bongobro! nice to see you!! i'm very interested in Remo bongos after reading your article(Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos )! Now i wonder what type of Remo bongos you played or is RC-P780-00 good enough? i also checked other threads in this foram and i saw many friends choose Lp bongos and changed drum head into Remo themselves. so my questions is, should i buy a Lp matador series(or Meinl free ride series) bongos and change the drum head myself or buy a remo bongos directly? are there any differences between these drum shells?look forward your advise! thx a lot!

User Info Menu

Default Re: bongobro, please help me! thx a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by hurila View Post
    hello Bongobro! nice to see you!! i'm very interested in Remo bongos after reading your article(Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos )! Now i wonder what type of Remo bongos you played or is RC-P780-00 good enough? i also checked other threads in this foram and i saw many friends choose Lp bongos and changed drum head into Remo themselves. so my questions is, should i buy a Lp matador series(or Meinl free ride series) bongos and change the drum head myself or buy a remo bongos directly? are there any differences between these drum shells?look forward your advise! thx a lot!
    NOTES to consider : I love the Meinl Bongos for having steel bottoms...not crack prone cast aluminium, but since the steel bottoms are welded to the separator instead of a wood block separator, the shells hard wares cannot be repositioned to place the hooks in a comfortable place that will not pinch your circulation in your legs. But that aside...I prefer them to top of line LP's which have a snare drum style ~ sharp bearing edge which is abusive to your hands & to the skins as well. People are brand name oriented regardless of quality & design pros & cons. LP is just a name ! all these Bongos & congas from Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, and now China, use same woods , skins etc for the most part & share more simularities in design. They are all just copies of each other. As I posted earlier in another subject...I suggest u find the most mature veteran bongosero , have him / her select the best skins for your drum & then select an affordable brand or model shell to mount them on. ALL the sound qualities are in the head ! The shells are just frames to hold the heads. of course fiberglass shells will be brighter since it is not a soft wood which has a bit of warmth in its sound. Same materials ~ Only the cosmetics & choice of aluminium bottom ring or steel ring makes much difference. Plastic heads all sound the same regardless of the cost or name brand of the bongos itself. Meinl makes a smaller sized bongo shell 6" w/ 7"...which is an old size from Cuban Son bongos. It was LP that started popularizing the 7" w/ 8" or 9" large shells. Everyone else copied these sizes. The smaller size actualy sounded better ! Gon Bops brand & Valje Brand from the 60's & 70's had simular smaller sizes & used thinner calf skins, That was once considered THE sound ! Its all relative ...choose bongos that feel comfortable, not too heavy, have an idea of what type heads U prefer...plastic or skins !? Let a microphone do the rest !

User Info Menu

Cool Re: bongobro, please help me! thx a lot!

Hey hurila, that's what I get for not checkin' in as much as I normally do!

Seriously, I like the Remos because they are light enough to play between your knees yet can be used on a stand if you prefer. And if you're starting out, the prices of the Remos are a bit lower than the comparable LP or Meinl models. In fact, just tonight I posted in another of your threads of my experiences with my LP Professional Series II bongos my Meinls.

I've been slappin' skins for nearly 25 years, and I like the sound quality and durability of both these models. They may be a little heavy for you if you're playin' them without stands, but I'd say go for a used set of either if the price is right and if the skins are in good shape...

From one skin-slapper to another, , bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck