Thread: No band..

User Info Menu

Default No band..

any other drummers here not play in a band just enjoy playin solo?
    i have jammed with some friends never in a real band though,
    am i the only one?

User Info Menu

Default Re: No band..

You're definitely not the only one. I've been drumming for 4 years and I wasn't in a band until 3 months ago.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Cool Re: No band..

No band...no prob, usererror...

Since I began playing in public in 1992, I have "sat in" more than I've had a steady gig. I wish I could say I've played more often, outside of my church's ensemble, but my work schedule just doesn't always allow it.

As you can suspect from my user name, I play hand drums more often than the set, so I jam with recordings and my buddies and still keep my chops up...

Don't worry...keep your ears open and your hands and feet movin'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

It takes patience and determination to get into a half decent band (let alone any band at all), trust me I know; but it's always a good idea to make your skills as solid as possible before joining a band.
    So keep on jammin' by yourself until you're ready to join or form a band!
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

I play in an '50s '60s and '70s cover band that has been together for less than two years. Due to my family and work obligations, I limit my activities with the band. On the other side, I jam with a metal guitar player who has recently been taken by the flexiability of my e-kit. We have been writing orginal music together for the past 25 years but never performed our orginals before an audience or recorded any material in a studio setting.

I enjoy jamming with the metal guitar player more than having to commit to a band. The freedom I have when it comes to the artist licence that is given to me by the melodies provided by the guitar player pushes the performance expectation dial up a notch. I'm no longer bound to replicate a tune that was written more than 40 years ago but I do see a need to play songs that an audience can relate to so playing covers has its merits.

The solo sessions between the cover band and the metal guitar player allows for me to brush up on rudiments and countless hours are dedicated to listening to recorded rehearsals to sort out my mistakes and work them out.

I do see your angle though. Playing solo may be the only means to keep playing for some but in my opinion, drummers are needy folk. We paint and give a song texture and feel but having the groove of a solid bass player and the soul of a guitar player and lyrics that inspire only adds to the final product which is to entertain the public with the gift of music. In my opinion, that should be the goal of every musician. It takes the interaction between people that drives us to perfection.

User Info Menu

I have been playing for 11 years, and have never been in a band.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Not being in a band can be a good thing. Its a great time to expand your horizon. You can work on stuff that you've not had time before...such as techniques (eg., independence, dbl-pedals, etc..) or types of music (eg., Latin rhythms, death metal, jazz, etc.) Its also a good time to network. Check out the other bands and musicians around your area. Meet them and possibly sit in on a song or two during their gigs.

User Info Menu

usererror, you are definitely not alone, as you can plainly see. I have been playing for about 3 years now, and I don't see a band in any near future. I enjoy learning and playing to music. As long as I feel like I am progressing, I am happy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I make a year playing drums next month. I've never been in a band and am not looking to be in one. I just enjoy playing and improving my skills. I'd love to find some other musicians to jam with, but just on a fun level. I don't want to do gigs and lug equipment around every weekend.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

dave0549jv Guest

ive been playing for about a year and a half, and ive never been in a band. i havent even really jammed with friends much yet. I havent been able to practice much until i picked up an e-kit recently, so im not quite as good as i should be for 18 months experience.

I'd like to do the band thing at some point, but i'd like to get my skill level up considerably first.

User Info Menu

Being in a band isnt a bad thing; nor is it a good thing. Ask the billions of musicians worldwide who AREN'T in a band. Playing music is a hobby for some people but a small group turn it into a career.
    Im in a band, but seeing as ive been drumming for 8 months now, playing guitar for 5 years, ive wanted to be in a band ever since i heard Green Day back in 4th grade. Billie Joe Armstrong is like, my all time favorite musician since he inspired me to play an instrument. And not play video games all day.
    But if you dont want to join a band, its not like anyone on here will force you into one.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I agree with what evryone has said. I have been playing drums for 5 years now and am not, nor have i ever been, in a band. Granted i am only a freshman in high school, but still. Other than my 10-year-old brother who gets so excited when he learns how to play a song on his guitar and makes me jam along to it (parents LOVE when we do that hahah) i much prefer playing solo. More time to experiment with different techniques and styles, as well as not having to worry about gigging, which would be next to impossible for a freshman anyway, and arguing over what songs to play and such. Eventually i would like to put a band together, but for now i see no point when i have just as much fun by myself, or with my lil bro on the guitar hahah.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Ive been playing for over 30 years and mostly with out a band. Ive played at country fairs, graduation parties, church gigs, talent shows, worked in the pit doinf theatre stuff too but never anything steady.

The "band" Im with right now is all family and we just get together for fun. Nefews, brother-in-laws my son and we have a blast. Every time theres a picnic at my house someone will dissappear to the music room downstairs and next thing you know 2 or 3 hours has gone by.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

To you younger guys, this would be hard to do but if there is jam nights at some of your local bars or clubs or open mic nights, go to them, sit in and play a couple, nobody knows you exist if you if you don't show yourself. An old friend told me "If you want to be in it, you have to be around it" Give it a shot, It could be your look, your style of playing, your personality, your age, who know's there's nothing to lose and you'll have a good time.
    Good Luck to You Guys who really want to get in a band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    I make a year playing drums next month. I've never been in a band and am not looking to be in one. I just enjoy playing and improving my skills. I'd love to find some other musicians to jam with, but just on a fun level. I don't want to do gigs and lug equipment around every weekend.
    i agree completeyl, i enjoy playing when your in a band it kinda becomes a job.

User Info Menu

I've been playing for two years now and don't play in a band. Friend of mine plays bass and we get together here and there and jam. My cousin is dating a guy that says he has always wanted to sing in a band but just never went after it. Right now I am hoping we can get something going cause we all have close to the same layed back personality and all enjoy the same music. Problem is gonna be finding a guitar player that can fit in with us. I really hope this works out. I've played in front of a crowd at a open mic night but my dream has always been to play out with my own band. Fingers crossed.

User Info Menu

I have played in several bands and I am currently in a band we are finishing our first cd so if you are wanting to be in a band my advice is be patient and practice and consider all the aspects of being in a band keep your eyes and ears open so you can take advantage of an opportunity if it arises and be ready for the commitment that it requires and good luck and keep your sticks in the air and your feet on the pedals

User Info Menu

I play in a number of bands and I have to say that if I wasn't playing with bands I would find it hard to practise. I like to look forward to gigging. As soon I play one gig I am already looking to the next one. When there have been down times I have to really force myself to sit down an practise. If I have a gig to prepare for I can practise for days on end with hardly a brake. It is the way it has always been for my musically!

User Info Menu

I am not in a band. I have been playing for about 3 years, and I have yet to be in a band of any kind. Most of my friends, God bless 'em, have no musical talent whatsoever. Trying not to be mean, they just don't . One friend of mine plays a mean guitar though, and we've managed to jam on one occasion. It's sooo much fun when we did though, and we've planned to do it almost every week now. It's a great experience, so if you get the chance, I would try and take it.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I play in a number of bands and I have to say that if I wasn't playing with bands I would find it hard to practise. I like to look forward to gigging. As soon I play one gig I am already looking to the next one. When there have been down times I have to really force myself to sit down an practise. If I have a gig to prepare for I can practise for days on end with hardly a brake. It is the way it has always been for my musically!
    I hear ya on that. Im in a band and have been in previous bands. I love playing drums but after a while i get bored if im not jamming with other people. Gigging out definetaly forces you to practice but lugging your drums around does get old. I like the challenge of having to learn several songs before the next gig. But to each his own...
    TAMAHOLIC