Thread: An experiment in cross-talk prevention

User Info Menu

Default An experiment in cross-talk prevention

With my DTXplorer kit the crash would be triggered when TOM 1 was struck. It didn't happen all time , but it's undesireable. I found that you could tap on the rack with a stick and it would trigger alot! Before making any adjustments in the module, I wanted to try an experiment. I pulled the end caps off the rack tubes and stuffed them with plastic shopping bags. Simply rolled them up and stuffed them in with a drumstick. They don't weigh anything and they aren't visible. It seems to work!
    Last edited by Swampgas; 07-18-2010 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: An experiment in cross-talk prevention

Smart...

User Info Menu

Good tip..thanks for sharing. Welcome to DrumChat!

dave0549jv Guest

Welcome to the DTX club! i'm a recent enlistee myself. That's an interesting idea. I never would have thought to do that.

I've noticed that my hi hat trigger tends to stick... have you noticed that with these pads? it randomly stops responding, then when i give it a real solid whack, it goes back to normal...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    I've noticed that my hi hat trigger tends to stick... have you noticed that with these pads? it randomly stops responding, then when i give it a real solid whack, it goes back to normal...
    That should NOT be happening at all. You might have a faulty pad.

As for the cross-talk, there's adjustments in the module for that. I think it'd be easier to turn the dial a bit than take the rack apart and stuff it with plastic bags. But, hey, whatever works.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I wanted to try that before making any adjustments that would change the dynamics. It's already a learning curve with E-drums! At the least, I kept a big wad of plastic out of the landfill. My next move will be to make a better, more durable cable snake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swampgas View Post
    I wanted to try that before making any adjustments that would change the dynamics. It's already a learning curve with E-drums! At the least, I kept a big wad of plastic out of the landfill. My next move will be to make a better, more durable cable snake.
    This tip (stuffing the tubes with plastic) will also help eliminate the colaterial ringing I get when my acoustic drums are mounted on my tube rack. I can sometimes hear the impact from my sticks hitting anything that's bolted on the rack as a "ringing" sound as the vibrations resonate through the tubes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swampgas View Post
    With my DTXplorer kit the crash would be triggered when TOM 1 was struck. It didn't happen all time , but it's undesireable. I found that you could tap on the rack with a stick and it would trigger alot! Before making any adjustments in the module, I wanted to try an experiment. I pulled the end caps off the rack tubes and stuffed them with plastic shopping bags. Simply rolled them up and stuffed them in with a drumstick. They don't weigh anything and they aren't visible. It seems to work!
    That's a pretty rad idea! I have the same problem with my snare/hi-hat. They seem to like talking to each other a little too much. I'll try that out when I have time

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    As for the cross-talk, there's adjustments in the module for that. I think it'd be easier to turn the dial a bit than take the rack apart and stuff it with plastic bags. But, hey, whatever works.
    The self reject settings for the module help a bit, but ultimately the cross talk is still there if you find yourself hitting the pads hard every now and then.