Thread: Cheap amplification for my DTX E-kit?

User Info Menu

Default Cheap amplification for my DTX E-kit?

I'm currently working with a Yamaha DTXPress III with headphones. I dont mind it, but I live in a house with 4 of my other friends and we play music together often. I'm a bit strapped for cash, but I want to look into a small amp to plug into my kit for some soft amplification. My range would be anything up to $150. Could anyone recommend me an amp to suit my situation? New or used?

Thanks all. Keep doing this -->

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap amplification for my DTX E-kit?

There are special purpose drum amplifiers available on the market,i dont know about the prices but they should be available to buy from most big retailers.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Spot #68

In Soviet Russia,sticks break you!

User Info Menu

Keyboard amps work well...just get one with a little power and a decent sized speaker.

And for $150, I say look for used. Most new items at that price point won't provide enough oomph...

dave0549jv Guest

I picked up a set of stereo computer speakers with a subwoofer. They were originally for my tv, but they work really well for practicing on my xplorer. Its probably not what you were looking for, but at 40 bucks, it's cheap!

User Info Menu

look used and if its just for practicing with the mates around the house you should be able to find something in your range .. most likely going to be a keyboard amp. drum spacific amps tend to be a touch more because there specialized.

if you can save a little more. im using a simmons da200s and could not be more happy with it but they list for $299 so new its a little out of your range.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I'm seeing the Yamaha MS50DR, which is there two sat and one sub monitor system I have for like $230 new on fleabay. If that's not way out of your range, they work really well.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Simmons DA200. A church where I sub has one. It is very impressive for it's size and cost. I am saving for one for myself.

User Info Menu

Dave0549 mentions computer speakers with subwoofer. Would that be sufficient to play to recorded music and have the drums hooked up, without creating too much distortion? I am still trying to decide for myself on actual drum speakers and amplification in order to play to music from my MP3. Would you need to run both through separate sources, such as drums through drum amp and speakers, and recorded music through audio amp/receiver and speakers?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

go use my friend
    my 2 cents

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

The Simmons DA200 is excellent for the money, but it's $299. They also have a DA50 for $199. The DA200 has a lot more power for not a lot more money, but the DA50 still isn't a bad little unit. I think it'd hold up fine if you're just jamming in the house. Go to a Guitar Center an check it out. They've always got a DA50 hooked up to their e-kits (Simmons is a Guitar Center brand).
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

+1 on the DA50, had one for some time, great little amp. BUT if I had to buy another one, I would get the DA200.

Definitely try out a few before you buy, some smaller amps just cant handle the low freqs an ekit produces.

You also may want to consider a headphone amplifier or a cheap mixer. You can plug in with your friends and jam all night at full volume without disturbing anybody. And it makes it easy to record your sessions

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by qcbaron View Post
    Dave0549 mentions computer speakers with subwoofer. Would that be sufficient to play to recorded music and have the drums hooked up, without creating too much distortion? I am still trying to decide for myself on actual drum speakers and amplification in order to play to music from my MP3. Would you need to run both through separate sources, such as drums through drum amp and speakers, and recorded music through audio amp/receiver and speakers?

Thanks!
    Ok, this is waaaay past the time it could be useful to you, but just in case it helps anyone else...

For a cheap solution to acceptable amplification for your e-kit at home, you'd be hard pushed to beat a 2.1 active speaker system such as those designed for computer and home cinema use. (2.1 means 2 stereo satellite speakers, and 1 sub-woofer. A 5.1 or even 7.1 system will work too, but some of the satellite speakers may be redundant unless you can arrange the input cabling to operate them all - more on that later...)

Having a sub-woofer dedicated to the very low frequencies, you should find that a decent set will do justice to the toms and kick, much more so that any 'normal' amplifier. Another major advantage is that most e-kits have stereo outputs which gives a much greater presence to the sound, but this is usually lost when the kit is connected to a normal drum or keyboard amp - which is mono.

Another advantage is that they are cheap, cheap, cheap... A decent 2nd-hand system can be picked up on eBay for around £20 (that's $35-40 in your strange lingo ) Since postage will virtually double that cost, I'd suggest finding one close enough to collect.

Ok, they ain't going to rock your foundations (unless you go for a real top-end system), but the point is that they SOUND good, and is ideal for giving your headphones a rest.

'Creative', 'Logitech' and many others make decent systems - carry out your research on short-listed sets and you'll soon figure out which ones to avoid; obviously there are lots of 'cheap an' nasty' ones out there too.

You won't gig with them, but they'll act as a decent home monitor

Oh, nearly forgot the 'more on that later' bit
    A 5.1 system could be used to allow MP3 playing alongside your drum kit with a pair of stereo speakers used for the player and a separate pair for the kit. The sub would be shared...

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, DA.

Thanks for the input!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swampgas View Post
    Another vote for the Simmons DA200. A church where I sub has one. It is very impressive for it's size and cost. I am saving for one for myself.
    Yet another vote for the Simmons DA200S. I have owned mine for about 2 months. Couldn't be happier!

User Info Menu

I have a Roland TD9 and play through an Alesis Portable PA, but I've listened to the Simmons at GC and they sound fine to me too.
    Not young enough to know everything

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Well, if you've ever heard me play the drums, you might think that I'm appropriating them for some purpose other than their original design!

User Info Menu

1st time poster here.....former working drummer...edrum and DC noob
    I picked up a DA200S @ GC and it just didn't do it for me when practicing with the boy's in the basement.
    My keyboard player had a kc 300. I tried it Roland and it blew the DA200S away in clarity and volume.

My ekit is a DTXpress III. I'm interested to know if this ekit would work live, with enough power behind it?