Thread: Bass drum tuning

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum tuning

I recently acquired a pulse bass drum to mix in with my pearl kit for some cheap double bass practice. I know since the drums are different sizes getting them to match in tone exactly would be impossible, but I was hoping to get them semi close. Well I tried tightening the pearl as it is bigger and keeping the tension on the pulse looser. Well what I get is two totally different sounding drums, the pearl sounds like a thump while the pulse sounds like I'm beating on a trash can. I will add that the pulse has a port on the front skin I tried to plug with a towel. Any suggestions?

Fyi I am a novice and not good at tuning drums anyway

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum tuning

Are the heads the same on the two drums? That will matter as well. I would also try to tune them the same irrelevant of size. You'll have a slightly different note to each one, but they should sound better together with the same heads, tuned the same way.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Agreed, and if you want to get them as close as possible, the less tone you have under these circumstances, the better. Tune those batter heads as low as you can without the head falling off. Like finger tight plus 1/8th of a turn or so.

User Info Menu

They do have different batter heads, both are oem.

User Info Menu

I keep my bass drum skin tight and my pedal loose, works quite well for me like that :D

User Info Menu

It also depends on what kind of wood you are mixing here. If you have maple Pearls and a Pulse Birch, poplar or basswood bass drum chances there will be a difference in sound.