Thread: Tuning help

User Info Menu

Default Tuning help

So I just had a frustrating ruining session to say the least. I recently purchased an Evans EMAD 2 batter bass drum head. When I installed it I noticed it was causing my toms to ring a little so i decided to retune my bass drum and toms. This was a disaster. I've tuned and re tuned my drums before but this time I had some problems and am looking for advice. i had an hour to tune before I had to go to work and by the end of it all my toms AND bass drum were causing my snare to buzz. It was incredibly frustrating going to work with my drum set all out of whack. So I come to you oh wise drum chatters asking you what I'm the world is going on with this snare drum buzz. Usually my high tom is the one that causes my snare to buzz and I just let it ride because I know it's natural. But i know it's not natural for all the tomsAND the bass drum to cause buzzing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning help

It sounds like you've retuned your toms closer to where the snare is tuned- so retune your toms back to where they were, or retune the snare, and/or do some searches here at DC, looking for threads that say "snare buzz".

User Info Menu

I finally got my set sounding just the way I want it again! It just takes a whole lot of patience while tuning. No tricks or shortcuts about it!

User Info Menu

Indeed. There are times I can dial in a tom-tom in 2 minutes, or sometimes it takes me up to half an hour if I am really after a particular tone. It takes a lot of trial and error, but in the end nothing beats the sound of a beautifully tuned drum.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Good to hear that you worked it out.

Tuning is one thing that I'm still kind of a newbie about, but from what I've been told by other drummers, my drums are tuned pretty well. Trial and error, indeed.
    DRUMS
    Fibes Clear Crystalite, 22"/16"/12"
    SNARES
    Pork Pie Piglite Amber Acrylic, 13x7"
    Mapex Black Panther Hand Hammered Steel, 14x6"
    CYMBALS
    Sabian AAX-celerator 15" Hi-hats
    Sabian AA 17" Medium Thin Crash
    Sabian AA 18" Rock Crash
    Sabian AAX 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
    MISC
    DW5000 Single Pedal
    Assorted Hardware
    Remo/Aquarian Heads

User Info Menu

Congrats on the fix! I have bad tuning days altogether. sometimes I just can't get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    congrats on the fix! I have bad tuning days altogether. Sometimes i just can't get it.
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    I finally got my set sounding just the way I want it again! It just takes a whole lot of patience while tuning. No tricks or shortcuts about it!
    glad you got them tuned... you did what every drummer needs to do . you just kept trying until you got it right ... you are exactly right ,there are no tricks or shortcuts... you just have to learn how to do it . the next time will be easier. good for you bud....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    Yeah it takes some work to find your own unique sound... but it sounds good and feels good when you have your setup and tuning just the way ya like it

congrats on the fix!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Good thing you got them finished before work. Not sure if the boss would have thought that was a good excuse for being late , but it's hard to leave a drumset their sounding horribly.
    “The beautiful thing about learning is that nobody can take it away from you.”
    -B.B. King

User Info Menu

Every drummer goes through that aggrevating stage of tuning, patience will prevail in the end.

User Info Menu

Here it is the drum tuning bible ******* READ IT***TRY IT***IT WORKS !!*******

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!