Thread: M audio question

User Info Menu

Default M audio question

Ok, I have a question but probably not complete info to get an answer at the moment, but here goes.

A buddy I play with has an EXTRA m audio interface that he hasnt used, as he realized protools LE would not be compatible with his system.

He offered it to let me basically have it if I give his son some drum lessons for a few minutes when I go over there and we jam. No biggee, I would do this anyway, but he also wants me to be able to get a little better recordings on my own time to speed up this process we are in the middle of.

This interface is an 8 channel interface, rack mount, with 2 preamps and 6 1/4 inch inputs, NOT SURE which model it is? (piece of info I didnt have)

It has a PCI sound card that it is designed to plug into but I am not sure if he purchased that separate or if it was included, (maybe this will help somebody identify it, because I didnt think to look today when I was over there and didnt get a model number, intelligent I know!)

Now the question - Is there any way to hook this up to a lab top via the serial port on the back, or does this have to be connected to a desktop with the pci card installed in it?

Reason for the question is I have a lab top not being used that I could hook this up to until I can get a recording computer put together.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for all the replys I am sure I am going to get.

User Info Menu

Default Re: M audio question

What's up bg. If you can get the model number of the unit it would be very helpful. I went over to the M-audio site and cannot seem to find what you have described. Maybe an older unit. Does it have a firewire interface on the back or does it use a pin type connector to the sound card? If so get the info on the sound card so we can hunt down if there is a PCI type interface for M-audio like RME hammerfall has.

User Info Menu

It has a pin type interface to the sound card. I am sure I can get the model number, trust me I know it would be helpful, and I wouldnt have to be asking here if I that at this point. I am just sitting at work and thinking.

if anyone can come up with something in the mean time it would be great, if not I will get the model number in the next few days.

Thanks for the try tho nucid

User Info Menu

If it has a PCI card that is the only way to hook it up. No way to connect it to a laptop unless M-Audio makes their own interface for it using a PC Card (PCMCIA) interface. The hardware is really on the PCI card, more than the breakout box. We have an old discontinued unit like that (brand went out of business).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

ok, so I did some looking and feel like a bit of a dunce.

It is not m audio, it is a digidesign 001.

So now on to research, what do I need to hook it up and is there any way to hook it up to a lab top.

thanks for the help everybody

User Info Menu

That device is no longer made, so it might be tough to do anything. What you have to find out is if anyone makes a PC Card interface to substitute for the PCI one, to hook up to the 001. To be honest, it's very unlikely.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

even though he has the pci card, it may just mean I have to upgrade my desk top to use it, (as it could use some tlc) and then I would just dedicate a computer to it.

would that be out of the question. I guess the real question, would this be a piece of equipment to start setting something up around until I can afford better, or just wait until I can afford better, but I am still in the learning process so I dont want to spend a bunch of money either? just a hobbyist who likes nice things.

User Info Menu

Going old school bigb. You know in the day that piece of equipment was the bomb. Still not bad today. Few things though, I am am pretty sure there is not a PCM card for that and you will need the PCI card to make it work as well as Pro tools software. Be careful and check your specs on you computer if it is a PC as pro tools can be a little flaky. Also I am not very sure if Pro Tools 8 will work with that hardware. Get the original software from your buddy if you can.

User Info Menu

awesome, thanks for the help.

he has the original software in the original box with it. honestly dont know if it has ever been opened. he got it off ebay and decided to run a different route, just something he is more comfortable with, but for getting just some basic ideas down I think this will work for me. I have been debating getting a mac desktop anyway, maybe this will be the perfect time to do so.

misses is gonna kill me.

thanks guys

User Info Menu

My brother and I were talking this evening about you and the 001. If you don't care for pro tools, Reaper should be able to work. I would try out pro tools first though and be careful about upgrading with what came with it as pro tools 6 works as it came with this series, but pro tools 7 and up will not.

User Info Menu

Glad to hear I am on your mind, lol.

Good to know, as I would not have had a clue.

I am just worried that for the money I will spend getting it set up I could get a newer unit with warranty and wouldnt need to set up a new computer as it could be used on my lab top.

Have to crunch the numbers, thats all.

Thanks So Much