Thread: Drum sticks - HELP

User Info Menu

Smile Drum sticks - HELP

Need a quick primer on sticks. I currently use ProMark DC12i indoor 17" hickory and love them. Heard somewhere there's an easy way to tell which to choose. It's been suggested that one should use heavier sticks for practice, that it builds hand/arm strength. What's the difference in say 15" and 17" sticks, other than just the length; balance, ease of use, etc. What do you guys use and why? How did you come to the conclusion that you should use what you use? Where's the best place to go for this information? And do you buy locally or order over the net?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Don,
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

Well, when I started, I bought as many different sticks [Brands and Models] as I could get my hands on. I would recommend doing the same. But, yes, it is beneficial to be practicing with a heavier stick. Like when you're warming up in baseball [in the bullpen] game, and you put on weighted donuts, finally when you step up to the plate, and you take off the weighted donuts, you are suddenly blessed with the power of an awesome POWER SWING. The same effect is tranfered through you when you practice with heavier sticks. However, the more you practice with the heavier sticks, the more long term the given effect will be. I would recommend using a Vic Firth SD1, or SD2, just my opinion though, there are countless other brands and models that may work better for you. Now for your final question, you answered it yourself, for the most part anyway. The only things changing between the
    15" and the 17" are your fulcrum point changes; thus, resulting in more power [the 17"], and inevitably, less control. So it is all about give and take. It is imparitive you choose a stick which suits your playing style the best.
    Right now I am using...
    Primary Drum Set Sticks - Vater New Orleans Jazz [15", 250 diameter]
    Primary Practice Sticks - Vic Firth SD1 [15.5", 500 diameter]

I may have gone off topic a little, but, hope I was at least a little helpfull?
    Anyway, ...
    I'm done! YAH!
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

And how I came to the conclusion of what stick I would be using primarily...
    Trying out many a stick brand and model, and choosing one that best suited my playing style/grip/recommendations from teachers/friends and drum chat.
    DRUM NAKED!

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

I used heavier sticks with practice pads over my set. I found out that although I was recieving greater balance and strength, the heavier sticks didn't cooperate with my heads all too well without practice pads. I use Vater LA Hickory sticks primarily, 5A 15".
    I find that lighter shorter sticks, for me at least, are able to deliver a faster more precise sound rather than a heavier stick which gives off the same kind of tone and disables your moving ability to an extent. I say this without knowing your current strength or anything.
    But alot shorter response would be don't practice with heavy sticks unless you are planning to use hard practice pads over your heads

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

^Just Building On What 32nd Said,
    Lighter, smaller sticks will give you greater dexterity but, hence, less power.
    And Vise Versa for heavier longer sticks.
    DRUM NAKED!

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Hey - this link will give you some good info on the essentials of drumsticks as well as some good tips:

http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Emarcz/percus...roperties.html

As far as 'what is the best', it does come down to personal preference. Whatever you think feels best and sounds best (and stick choice can make a big difference on sound) is the right way to go.

I've heard a lot of people say that practicing with heavy sticks is good for building up your muscles, but I'd argue that practicing with the sticks you find it comfortable to actually play with will be better for you in the long run. After all, if it's hard to transfer your practice to your playing, it's not very successful practice, is it?

That said, I have a stick bag with a whole heap of different sticks/mallets/etc. in it, and I like to practice with all of them at different times; it gives you different experiences and ways of looking at drumming.

Hope this is helpful.

User Info Menu

Everybody here has the right idea. I practice with Vic Firth 5b's, but I perform with Vic Firth Dave Weickl signatures. They are a little lighter and the tip is about a 1/4 the size of the 5b's and more articulate at low volume levels. I play a lot if private gigs, so I'm usually not in a concert hall so I can't be too loud. The type of music you play is also an important factor to take into consideration when you are choosing sticks. If your playing hard rock/metal, your going to want a heavier stick with a thick shoulder, where as, if your playing jazz/blues, your going to want a lighter stick so you have more control over how hard you are hitting.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Also, if you're playing Metal, the drumsticks should be made of the bones of your vanquished enemies, forged by dragonsbreath and then cooled by the ice-storms of Valhalla.

User Info Menu

Smile Great advice, all

I do appreciate the timely advice. I actually hadn't realized that with the longer, 17" sticks, I was actually using heavier sticks. Duh!! Shame on me. I will probably try another couple of pair, maybe shorter sticks. I like the Hickory, and the wood tips rather that plastic. Maybe it's just me, but I like the all-natural "feel" of the wood. I seem to be favoring the conventional grip too, and though it's harder to adjust to, I really like it. Anyway, thanks for all the pointers. After all, how am I supposed to know which stick to go with if I only play with one stick?
    Keepin' the beat,
    Don

User Info Menu

wow..people make long posts..so ill try to keep it short and simple.

Basic sizes:

Rock: reg-5a bigger??- 5b and 3's
    Jazz/Rock combo- 7's (7a)
    Jazz (thin thin sticks) - vic firth AJ series (AJ5 is the thinnest stick on the market)

i use 7A's and vic AJ5's.. i prefer a thinner/lighter and longer stick because you can play faster..and i think the 5A's just weigh u down..i only use them occasionaly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    Also, if you're playing Metal, the drumsticks should be made of the bones of your vanquished enemies, forged by dragonsbreath and then cooled by the ice-storms of Valhalla.

Dude, you're a trip!!!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

What if you compose music for adult films? I can only imagine....

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

what do you guys think about using artist series sticks?

User Info Menu

Lol... Uh oh, look out RD... you've got some comedic competition!

Good one Jobby!

User Info Menu

Smile Another pair

Ordered, that is; ProMark 7A, 15 3/8", .512" dia., American Hickory. My Dad was a wood-worker, bubba's a wood-worker, and I'm sort of a wood-worker, so I like the feel of the Hickory. The sticks I've been using, starting out as a drummer, the ProMark DC12i 17", .669", I should definitely feel a difference in the two. I'll have to try some of the other brands too.
    Keepin' the beat, 'to a different drummer,
    Don

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum sticks - HELP

Hickory is definately good for starters. I play with a 7A nylon tip in my right hand to bring out the brighter sounds for cymbals and a heavier 5A wood tip in my left for toms. Works for me. Just have to buy 2 sets of sticks each time though.

User Info Menu

I use vic firth 5B sticks. I used to play pro marks but then I got curious and tried vic firths and Im glad I did.

The sticks you play with is mostly personal preference in my opinion.

User Info Menu

right now im between Vater Rock (yes rock is a size they arent made of rock) drumsticks and pro-mark japanese oak 2b's
    i love the pro marks and they take a beating thats for sure
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

I used to use heavier sticks, I could play a little louder with less effort but I realized that with a smaller stick I could play quieter when I needed to with out really holding back and when I wanted to play louder I could actually play a little more aggressively and get more powerful tone.

At the end of the day you will just have to experiment and find what works for you. If there were one perfect stick you would not have all the choices. It is not one size fits all.

One thing for sure, no matter what you buy, make sure they are straight. Roll them on the counter before you buy them. Most good sticks today are straight but every now and then a bum one gets through.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site