Thread: some questions on heads?

User Info Menu

Default some questions on heads?

i have a GMAD on the bass drum and clear g2s on the toms, i got them in late may, and they sounded got at first but they sound like crap no matter how i tune them, i have been thinking about a 2 ply EMAD or super kick II for the bass drum, how would those 2 heads sound compraed to a GMAD? for the toms coated SST EC2s or performance 2s how would those sound compared to G2s?

i want a really loud deep bass drum sound, and i also like the toms deep, i really like the Rev's drums sound and i want mine to sound similair

and what snare head does he use?
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: some questions on heads?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    i have a GMAD on the bass drum and clear g2s on the toms, i got them in late may, and they sounded got at first but they sound like crap no matter how i tune them, i have been thinking about a 2 ply EMAD or super kick II for the bass drum, how would those 2 heads sound compraed to a GMAD? for the toms coated SST EC2s or performance 2s how would those sound compared to G2s?

i want a really loud deep bass drum sound, and i also like the toms deep, i really like the Rev's drums sound and i want mine to sound similair

and what snare head does he use?
    I got a Superkick 2 today for my birthday! AND ITS AWESOME!

No Joke, so deep and punchy! and when I dont put a cushion in, its VERY loud, but I don't like destroying my houses' foundations, so I put a single pillow in, does the trick for me. I have the G2's and have used EC2s, over all, I prefer the G2s, although I have had little time on the EC2s

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

try remo heads .. i think they last longer .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I agree with Alex, you will not be disappointed with the Superkick 2. I have one as well and it's exactly what he described.

For the toms, EC2's will give you a shorter decay and punchier attack than G2's. I've had Pinstripes (Remo's equivalent of EC2's) and G2's and I prefer the G2's by far. Just my opinion though.
    Matt

kris finney Guest

hi,

what do you mean by 'not sounding right' double ply and single ply have different properties
    the metal rim might be bent or the shell might be warped (unlikely)
    how do you tune the heads? ,theres a lot of factors involved in the workings of a drum

if this doesn't work try and get some Remo heads which are the best in my opinion

User Info Menu

For toms I am using coated emperors over ambassadors and love the sound.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I agree with Alex, you will not be disappointed with the Superkick 2. I have one as well and it's exactly what he described.

For the toms, EC2's will give you a shorter decay and punchier attack than G2's. I've had Pinstripes (Remo's equivalent of EC2's) and G2's and I prefer the G2's by far. Just my opinion though.
    ARRRRGGHHHHH... Pinstripes are far different than EC2s in my experience. Other than they each have a stripe of sorts. I get a ton more controlled resonance out of an EC2 than I ever could from a pinstripe.

</end EC2's are the equivelant of Pinstripe rant>

User Info Menu

I have G2 clear on all my toms and the sound is great. Maybe the tuning is not right for the kind of drums you have. The most popular heads out there that eveyone uses is the Evans G2 over (Ambassadors or G1) Remo Emperors over Ambassadors. I know there are others out there but with my experience so far are have been the ones mentioned.

User Info Menu

I've had G2's on my toms since November and they still sound great! It's either your tuning or you have beat them up really bad... do they have any "dents" in them?
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals