Thread: snare tuning

User Info Menu

Default snare tuning

hey whats up, im trying to get my snare to sound like the snare in the vids below. it would be cool if you could how tight for both batter and reso snare heads. thanx

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfUJLv42WU&feature=related"]YouTube- MIKE JOHNSTON Solo at Guitar Center Clinic[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYRxw2zdETQ&feature=sub&videos=9ssjus8dX1I "]YouTube- The Mike Johnston & Aquarian Drumheads Challenge[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare tuning

might help if you let us know what snare you have

this snare is maple and its got a massive amount of compression, gating and really nice pro reverb

User Info Menu

yeah i got an all maple snare. 6.5 deep

User Info Menu

Going off of the first video, it sounds like the drum is pretty tight on both the batter and reso side. You may have to play around with some different tensions to find just how tight you want you snare though.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

tight ,,,, very tight.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I have a DW 14x6 Maple 10 & 6 Collectors series snare and have both heads tuned very tight like this and it sounds very similar. I'm using an Evans Hazy 300 for Reso and the Genera HD Dry for a batter with the batter slightly higher than the reso. If you have a drum dial, I can send you the tension readings if you'd like.

User Info Menu

yeah man thatll be great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerbomb91 View Post
    yeah man thatll be great
    I sent you an email. Check it out.

User Info Menu

thanx i will definetly give that head a try. i can only play my snare with the heads tuned tight