Thread: starting a band

User Info Menu

Default starting a band

i'm having some trouble starting a band and i was wondering if any of u guys have tips. i'd like to end up playing somewhere, but i'm not sure how to start,or how to find dedicated ppl. help?

User Info Menu

Post something at your local music store and/or local music centers.You can also look in the classified or put an ad in the paper. Networking also will help, try hanging around the music store and get to know the people that work there, it's a good chance that they all are in bands or know people that are. You can also go where people sing Karaoke to look for a lead singer, that's how my husband got together with his band.......

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

alrite thx for the tips. maybe I'll start looking at ads

User Info Menu

There is no great secret to starting a band, it just sorta forms.

But look around your town for other musicians and see if any are interested.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Hanging out at open mikes is a good way to meet other musicians, and you get a chance to hear what they're doing and see if it meshes with the style you are looking to play. Chat up the house band drummer if there is one, see if he'll let you sit in on a couple of tunes. Then others can hear how you play. Although don't take it personally if the house drummer turns you down, some just don't let anyone play their sets.

User Info Menu

Dude Myspace is also a good way to look for people in your area who are musicians.

User Info Menu

where do you live? I'm sure they have a craigslist for your area.

Also, something I've learned over the years. Set goals for both your sound or overall direction and success level of the band, and make sure whoever you play with is in line with these goals or you will just be spinning your wheels.

I used to play exclusivly with friends and then we would get into goals and such. You find that never works out so well.