Thread: Silly Question

User Info Menu

Default Silly Question

Ok, so as much as I would like to have a good recording setup ready to go, we need to get stuff recorded and it hasnt happened in time, and my guitar player/singer has a bunch of money he wants to throw arround at a studio.

So that being said, we are going to be going in a month or so, and I was curious, what can/should I take with me. Would it upset anybody If we took a bad sounding recording, just to have something to start tracking too, as the performances on them are ok, just the mixing/mastering/tracking on them suck. ie they are on time and no MISTAKES but they sound like garbage.

Would this upset a sound engineer or would this be good as to get us putting out some material quicker for the day?

Im sure this is basic, and really unimportant, but I just want to make sure I go in properly prepared.

Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Silly Question

I find it unlikely that you'll find a guy who will build up from crappy bed tracks. They'll want to do their own. I suspect you'll all play at the same time, isolated from each other. Hopefully you'll get drums, bass and rhythm guitar done in one shot, then lay down vocals and solos separately through the magic of multi tracking....

So yes, upset sound guy is what you'll have
    See ya!

User Info Menu

Im not asking for a sound guy to use the tracks to mix off of, I was just wanting to go in with a track and use it as a something to play to for my track, as opposed to just a click, cues ect for exact stops and such would be much easier to hit that way.

o well, no worries, I can do it without this method, just might take a total of an extra hour in the studio to get all the tracks done that way.

such is life

thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    I find it unlikely that you'll find a guy who will build up from crappy bed tracks. They'll want to do their own. I suspect you'll all play at the same time, isolated from each other. Hopefully you'll get drums, bass and rhythm guitar done in one shot, then lay down vocals and solos separately through the magic of multi tracking....

So yes, upset sound guy is what you'll have
    See ya!
    +1 That is if you use a "real" professional studio and engineer. If you are going to use someone's basement studio and "Garage band" software, you should be able to call some of the shots. Meaning they should be more willing to work with you.

User Info Menu

You should rehearse the songs and have them down before you go in to the studio so you don't have to rely on anything pre-recorded.
    You don't want to use a bad pre recorded track to play along with.
    Playing to a click track with the same tempo would be better.
    You can use that old track to copy the parts or to remember licks etc. that you want to include on your song.

User Info Menu

Which is exactly more of what I was talking about using it for.

Thanks For all the Help guys