Thread: Practice pad

User Info Menu

Smile Practice pad

Forgot just where on here I read about practice pads; "Realfeel," "Sabian Quiet Tone," "Vic Firth Slim pad" to mention a few. I checked out different sites, found "Realfeel RF-12G 12" speed pad" on GEARTREE for $29.99 (why don't they just say $30); do I go for this; need something besides my "mouse-pad-on-plywood" practice pads (boring). Do y'all know of a better "value" for the money. Don't wanna put too much money in something 'til I get a few lessons under my belt on a full kit (start next Tuesday). Suggestions?
    Keepin' the beat,
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

I use an HQ 8" octopad. It's a little smaller than some of the practice pads I've seen, but I feel that is better for my accuracy. It has a 8mm threaded hole on the bottom so it can be mounted to a stand. I have mine mounted to a cymbal stand base sitting right next to my coffee table. I figured if it's in front of me all the time, I'll practice more and it has definitly paid off. It cost around $15 and was money well spent.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Smile Additionally

Looked on GEARTREE site, found Remo practice pads, 6" and 8" for $12.99 and $14.99 respectively. I wonder, do these things "rebound" like a "real" drum, snare, for instance? If they wouldn't be any better than my home-made practice pads of mousepad + 3/4" plywood, then it wouldn't be worth the money. I usually sit mine on our kitchen counter or sit with one on a little table, both of which seem to be at the right height, and I do fine. But if one of these would give me the real, honest-to-goodness feel of a drum, I'd be willing to shell out the 13 to 15 bucks. What I use at present is about 6" dia. I'm kindof surprised at myself; I used to just shell out and not worry too much about the possibility of getting something I didn't really want, but as I get older, I think a bit more about it. Anyway, that's where all the "thought" is coming from.
    Keepin' the beat,
    Don
    Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God

User Info Menu

Don,
    The real feel is definitely more of a "real feel". Something to think about though: Many companies have emulated that feel with lesser expensive pads. You just have to test some. Go into a music store and bang on them.

I recommend that pads that have the snare sound built in. This emulates a real snare and makes it more enjoyable. There's one on the market now where you can remove the snare sound mechanism so you'll have the best of both worlds. I think Real Feel is making it actually.

User Info Menu

Hey Don, I see a theme developing in our conversations. Buy something used. If it don't work out you can resell it, and be out very few actual$$

User Info Menu

And good luck w/ the lessons. I really think its great you are pursuing the drum thing w/ such passion.