Thread: Live mic'ing

User Info Menu

Red face Live mic'ing

Ok, so as ive said in some other threads, i am interested in starting a band and gigging and such. I have already been offered to back a few girls i kno who sing and play guitar, and am eventually going to need to mic my kit. Only concerned about for live settings now. So what all will i need? I have no idea as to what i need, other than mics.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Default Re: Live mic'ing

The first question is whether you really need to mic your kit. Usually you only mic the kit if the band is very loud, or the venue is big (or outdoors) so you want to make sure the drum sounds carry and are clear.

So if you are just starting out in bars, etc... and/or playing lighter music it's probably not necessary.

If you are going to mic, you need the mics (obviously). You'll probably want drum mics as they are designed to handle drum levels and sounds specifically. CAD makes some sets that are pretty inexpensive that are supposed to be decent. I have a Shure 4 pc kit that was $249, and I added a 3rd tom mic. Make sure you get a kit with clips and mounts, and maybe even cables. Makes life easier. Even with that you'll usually need a mic stand for your bass drum. I use a short boom stand. Works great.

You'll also need a PA to hook the mics up to and you'll need a PA for vocals anyway. If you are only doing vocals and drums in the PA, the drums will have to be in the background so you don't drowned out the vocals. There are two ways to handle a PA.

The first is to buy a powered mixer and hook up passive (unpowered) speakers to it. The advantage is that you only have to plug in the mixer, and the speakers will be lighter. The disadvantage is you have to get all the specs right in terms of watts and ohms on any speakers you match with the mixer. And you can't really get more power without buying a new mixer.

The second route, which many are doing now, is getting an unpowered mixer and active (powered) speakers. You never have to worry about matching specs, and getting more power simply means buying more speakers and hooking them up. The big disadvantage is having to plug in all the power cords on the speakers, and the speakers weigh more.

Personally I would go with the second route.

Keep in mind you will also need vocal mics and mic cables, as well as speaker cables, and possibly some power strips (make sure they are decent so you don't get hum). Last but not least are mic stands!

Good luck.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Most of the clubs that require a mic'ed drumkit will supply a sound man, who will supply all you need to mic your kit. Or if you hire the soundman he will have his own mic's.
    For the in-between rooms, just a kick mic and an overhead will be enough.

User Info Menu

Ok thanks guys. My next question: what are monitors for? I am so confused when it comes to live sound.

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    -jordison515

My Band:

User Info Menu

Monitors are big speakers that play what the mics pick up. You could just call them speakers i guess
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

So if my band, whenever i form one that is, used a pa and mixer for vocals, and i used a seperate mixer running through a monitor, it would work fine?

-TxDrummer
    -jordison515

My Band:

User Info Menu

Monitors are speakers like Jordison said but they are next to you to let you hear specifics. When used with a soundboard you can select more bass guitar, vocals or tell the soundman to turn down the lead guitar in your monitor, monitors are great because all your music is projected forward and it lets you hear everything the way you want it, be careful though, we as drummers have a tendency or wanting it louder and as of today I have a hard time hearing out of my left ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    So if my band, whenever i form one that is, used a pa and mixer for vocals, and i used a seperate mixer running through a monitor, it would work fine?
    You don't need a separate mixer for monitors. Most mixers have both main and monitor ouputs and levels.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Monitors are used to put at the front of the stage facing towards you to project what your playing at you so you can hear yourself and the speakers are facing the crowd projecting it to them

User Info Menu

Theres a lot of money involved here so if your just starting out and dont really know the size of the gigs yet i would start small if you need them at all. Look at getting a good kick drum mic and stand and a couple of shure sm57s to start.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Are you planning to record live performances? Or is the setup you want just for PA(public address) purposes? I would be very cautious and read many guides on equipment necessary for recording, vs live sound applications. There are right and wrong types of gear for each application, which works better for the other. For example, some monitors don't have the amount of wattage required to be heard over the drums. These monitors are used for recording, and the same can be said for mixers. Certain equipment is for playing live, while others are for recording. Ask lots of questions, and research which ones will work for what you are trying to do.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-18-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Floor monitors are for stage, studio monitors are self explanitory.most small to medium size venues don't use overhead mics. There're simply not needed. Even with small gigs there something to a miked kick that makes the audience remember the experience. You're gonna need a PA for vocals anyway so I'd get mixer (power mixers are cheaper than mixer and amps but you can't expand and don't have the power to handle bigger PA's) to handle toms, kick, snare, vocals, bass and guitar a good set of full range PA's I personally like a set of folded horn subs also. Headphone's are easier to manage because personal mixes aren't a must and cheaper than monitors and saves your ears. You could get wireless headphones and make each member buy there own. Then all you need is mics and cables. (the more you spend on mics the better it'll sound) Drum mic kits are cheaper than buying individual mics. SM 58 for vocals SM 57 for guitar and kick mics are great for bass cabs but a SM 57 will do.