Thread: Looking to Upgrade my Electronic Set, Need Help

User Info Menu

Default Looking to Upgrade my Electronic Set, Need Help

Hey there, so I have a Yamaha DTXpress III for about 5 years now and it's certainly treated me well. When I first got the set, I was using it more as a novelty, while using my acoustic set quite often. However, since then, I've moved into an apartment building and unfortunately my acoustic can only be played when I gig. So my electronic drumset has become the set that I practice daily on. And that brings me to my current conundrum, because the DTXpress III is all rubber pads, I would really like to upgrade to something a little more acoustic drum like feel. I assume that would mean me upgrading to a mesh pad set and the only ones I know like that which are good are rolands. Now I'm not the richest person, as I'm 20 and in college but what's the next best electronic set to upgrade to help give me that acoustic drum feel? Or should I just be content with the DTXpress III? Any sort of help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking to Upgrade my Electronic Set, Need Help

Pintech mesh drums are reasonably priced and will work with your DTXpress III module. Check ebay for used Pintech.

Here's a photo of my old metallic red Pintech kit with Yamaha modules and cymbals.

User Info Menu

nice layout!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesdrummer View Post
    And that brings me to my current conundrum, because the DTXpress III is all rubber pads, I would really like to upgrade to something a little more acoustic drum like feel.
    You're chasing a rainbow, my friend. Such a pad does not exist. All of the e-kit companies will tell you that their pads feel like acoustic heads. They do not. The closest thing is the new Yamaha DTX pads and those still aren't fooling anybody. They're GREAT pads, but you won't mistake them for acoustic drums if you play blindfolded.

In my opinion, of all the available pads, mesh is the one that feels the least like acoustic. If you want to upgrade to mesh pads just because you like them, there's certainly nothing wrong with that, but if you expect to get an acoustic feel out of them you're going to be disappointed.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

The Yamaha DTX 900 OR 950K, with silicone skins are the closest you will come to acoustic. They are also the lowest in noise but not in price. Around $5K - $6K.