Thread: Wrist questions...

User Info Menu

Default Wrist questions...

New guy here with a question:

Just joined my first marching band @ 49. I'm on bass drum, and when we bomb, we usually do 3-4 half-hour sets a night (not EVERY night... I'd be dead by now). We play out once a week average, and I find it's getting gradually rougher on my right wrist (I only use the right hand), especially on songs like Crash Worships' 'Wild Mountain'.

Should I be wearing a wrist-supporting glove?
    Do I want the wrist to move freer?
    Exercises?
    Stretches?

Any help would be appreciated.

helloprobie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist questions...

I'm not in a marching band but when my band has a rigorous practice routine I usually wear the wrist support after the practice for it to rest properly.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I'd work some things on your left hand as well, unless the music says you only use right...
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

They make a ball that you twirl with your wrist(most sports and music stores carry them) and they are designed to help strengthen your wrist, as well as reduce the chances of fatiuge, arthiritis, and carpltunnel.

User Info Menu

Thanks all. We don't wanna jack the logos on the left side, hence all the right hand banging. I'll look for the ball.

probie

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat probie!

If you are working out the right wrist pretty hard, you could always ice down the wrist after a performance. It would be similar to a baseball pitcher icing down his elbow after a game.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My guess is that your technique needs work. If your playing with your arms, you play in a circular motion. Hold you arm straight out like your pointing at something and from your shoulder swing your arm in a circular motion. That's how you play a bass drum with your arm. You sweep across the drum. The other way of playing is with your wrists. When playing this way you learn by holding your forearms against the hoop of the bass drum, and play with wrist motion only. It"s not much different then playing with sticks as far as the motion goes. However you play, hold the mallet loosely.

Watch the videos of Top Secret or The American Originals on Youtube, and see what their bass players are doing.

Here's a Drum and Bugle forum where you should find some help.

http://forums.drum-corps.net/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    They make a ball that you twirl with your wrist(most sports and music stores carry them) and they are designed to help strengthen your wrist, as well as reduce the chances of fatiuge, arthiritis, and carpltunnel.
    Dyna-Flex Power Ball. Thanks for the reminder. I have one of these and my left wrist is acting up. I'll pull it out of the trinket drawer.

User Info Menu

I had the same problem two years ago with my left hand when I switched over to traditional grip from matched. It wasn't that severe, but practicing rudiments and stick heights really helped strengthen my wrist. My dad is an athletic trainer and I'm sure he would suggest taping up your wrist before one of those long practices.
    9th Grade-Second Bass
    10th Grade-Center Snare

Set:
    Tama Imperialstar: 10-12-13-16
    Meinl HCS 10 in. Splash
    Meinl HCS 14 & 16 in. Crash
    Paiste PST3 18 in Crash
    Meinl HCS 20 in. Ride
    Meinl HCS 14 in. HiHats
    Meinl Classics 10 in. HiHats
    LP Mounted Tambourine
    LP Mounted Jam Block

Sticks:
    Vater Stewart Copeland
    Vic Firth Colin McNutts

User Info Menu

Play with less power and less motion but maintain velocity to get the sound you want out of the drum.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat dkucia11, and thanks for your input!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Maybe you're forgetting the most important tool of them all; playing relaxed and having fun while you're at it! Don't worry so much; this is just your first marching band, am I right? Enjoy it! At least you don't have band camp :P
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave