Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before you felt like you were good?

User Info Menu

Default How long before you felt like you were good?

From the time you first picked up your sticks, at what point did you actually feel like you were a good drummer?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How long before you felt like you were good?

When my band started composing our own songs! Feels good to make something original
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

So I picked up the sticks for the first time and proceeded to hit a drum for the first time ever. About halfway through that motion I felt I was good.

cheers,
    wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
    N00b member of Russ' Zildjian League

"yohin: I never say anything good enough to be put in someone's sig."

User Info Menu

After about 3 years.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Like 5 hours ago, i was playing along to music on surround sound. I go upstairs and my mom said "nice job." that made my drumming career
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Still waiting for that moment...

User Info Menu

LOL, great replys so far. I have been trying for about a year to build my skills and I feel Like maybe soon I may be satisfied with my ability. So soon for me, soon.

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Same here. I'll have the occasional practice session where everything falls nicely into place, but i still have just as many stupid days.

User Info Menu

Let ya know when it happens

User Info Menu

What a great question! I must say it was around 10 years for me. Of course my standards are high. But suddenly I started to feel like I was really good rather than just OK. I was starting to land all the auditions and other drummers were starting to comment on my playing.

I know 10 years seems like a long time but when you think about other hobbies and occupations, it usually takes at least that long to get somewhat seasoned at something. The cool thing is that time really doesn't matter. If you're practicing hard, you will get better. That's just the way it is.

User Info Menu

I agree with Drummer. I've been playing for slightly over 3 years now, and there are some things that I can do well, and some thing I still struggle to get, but in general, I think I'm doing fine. Am I ready for primetime? Well, I would rather work on my skills a while loger before I get there, and I am in no hurry. Will I be as good as Drummer was at 10 years? Probably not, but I am in competition with myself, so that won't matter to me. I have played the guitar for about 10 years now - about 5 serious years - and I have more "ah ha" moments on that instrument, but they are starting to come more frquently with the drums now, so I am looking forward to the next few years even though I am going through some frustrating stuff right now. My teacher is good though, and she knows I need a combination of tush kicking and encouragement to get me through.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Same here. I'll have the occasional practice session where everything falls nicely into place, but i still have just as many stupid days.
    +1 fashaw.
    ive been playing for like 4 years. about a month ago i was doing some difficult beats i could not do for the past two years, jazzy type stuff, off beat kinda.

PERCUSSION PLUS 4-PIECE KIT
    ALL EVANS HEADS!!
    12X8 G2 ON TOP/HYDRAULICS ON THE BOTTOM
    13X9 G2 ON TOP/HYDRAULICS ON THE BOTTOM
    16X14 G2 ON TOP/HYDRAULICS ON THE BOTTOM
    20X20 EQ2 BATTER/ EQ1 RESO

SAVAGE PERCUSSION
    14X5.5 GENERA HD BATTER/HAZY 300 RESO

ZILDJIAN,SABIAN, STAGG
    ZBT CRASH RIDE 18in
    AA ROCK CRASH 18in
    ZBT CHINA 16in
    ZBT PLUS MEDIUM RIDE 20in
    DH HIHATS 14in

DIXON DOUBLE PEDAL
    YAMAHA HARDWARE
    VIC FIRTH 55B STICKS
    i think i beasted on you.

User Info Menu

When, after an hour of seemingly fruitless practice, I managed to play the intro to The Eleventh Hour by August Burns Red.

Too bad the rest of the song is just as difficult...

But anyway, that "I'm so awesome" feeling comes in spurts. When I'm rockin out to a sic breakdown, nailing all the kicks perfectly, I feel awesome. However, when I get on YouTube and look up drum solos and covers and stuff, I lose that awesome feeling.

I also feel awesome when I get a new piece of gear.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I had the feeling about 15 years ago. But then i did the stupid thing and sold my drums cause i was going out of state for school. Ive been playing for about 6 montys and have got tye feeling kinda back with my hands, but my feet for double are stupid. Used to do do solid 16's at about 180 and now its around 100.

User Info Menu

Oh but how long.

About 5-6 years. But i had A LOT of help by playing drumline.

Rudiments rudiments rudiments
    Over and over and over and over

User Info Menu

I really like this article about "How long until I am good?"

http://powerspercussion.com/how-long-until-im-good
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

i've been playing about a year 8 monthhs and I think I'm pretty good. The thing is, though, even if I feel good about my playing, there is always still much more to learn in the aspect of different styles, techniques, methods, etc. So I'll continue to push my limits to greater drumming
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Same here. I won't feel I'm "good" until I can play anything that pops into my head. I've only been at this for 11 months, so I'd imagine I still have a long ways to go.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

It's hard to tell. I wouldn't say that I feel "good" about my playing, but I feel that I'm competent in my attempts. There are days when I'm playing and everything goes off without a hitch. But there are other times when I make really stupid mistakes on easy songs I've known for months. So I would call myself competent, but that's about it.

/edit:

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Same here. I won't feel I'm "good" until I can play anything that pops into my head. I've only been at this for 11 months, so I'd imagine I still have a long ways to go.
    I completely agree. I've been playing for a little over a year and still have a hard time making anything up beyond a simple beat.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

The first time I got asked to be in a band as a replacement for a guy I thought was really good haha

I still don't think I'm great, but i am good, and definitely improving at a steady rate so thats what's important I guess.

Also, I agree with Andreeew. Composing your own music is really the best feeling in the world.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

The thing is, the better I get, the more aware I am about my limitations and the higher the bar becomes for what I consider to be "good". I'm chasing a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. The closer I get, the goal keeps moving further away.

Now if I could have somehow have seen my playing now back when I was only a year or two into it, I would probably be pretty stoked.

User Info Menu

Now if I could have somehow have seen my playing now back when I was only a year or two into it, I would probably be pretty stoked.
    Yeah! Haha its a huge confidence booster for sure, I listened to a recording of my first concert ever in Jazz choir, about a year after I started playing and only a few months of jazz. Wow, I was bad haha it made me feel really good about myself now haha
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

The first day I started playing the drums, I felt like I was good...but then, the next day when I couldn't do what I wanted to do...I felt like I sucked at it. This cycle has been going on for the last 25 years...Today, I feel pretty good about my playing....hmmm, I wonder how long this is going to last :-)

User Info Menu

The thing is, the better I get, the more aware I am about my limitations and the higher the bar becomes for what I consider to be "good". I'm chasing a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. The closer I get, the goal keeps moving further away.

thats a nail on the head

User Info Menu

Whenever i play something i have been working at for a long time, and do it well, i get a feeling of accomplishment, i feel that i am good. Then i find something i cant do, and then i start from the bottom and work my way up. The cycle never ends, so i dont think i'll ever feel that i am good for long.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html