Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practicing what I preach: My studio build up thread

User Info Menu

Default Practicing what I preach: My studio build up thread

OK guys, I have been harping room acoustics for some time and I wanted to take you guys along for the ride for my massive remodel of my recording studio.

Little intro. I have been recording in my down stairs room with acoustic treatments on the wall for some time. My recording equipment sat in the same room as my tracking room and adjacent bathroom was essentially not used. So my bro and myself decided to tear out the bathroom tear down the wall separating the bathroom and the room I was using for tracking and then rebuild the two rooms into a tracking room appropriately acoustically treated and a control room which would be acoustically isolated from the tracking room so the mics could be placed and adjusted for the best position.

The first pics you will see that we have torn down the original wall and are framing up the new wall.

The next pic show our build up of the main wall which has three sheets of dry wall on the tracking side and two sheets on the control room side. The wall is stuffed with R30 insulation. The window is two sheets of 1/2 plexi glass air gaped and sealed. the glass is placed on the angle which will help disperse the sound as well.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practicing what I preach: My studio build up thread

The next image shows the rock wool sheets that will be used for acoustic treatment in the control room as well as the tracking room.

Here are the pics of the finished wood flooring, painting and drop ceiling with my control desk placed in the tracking room. There is a covering on the glas to keep it clean while under construction.

Ok so hear I am at this point. I will post up my more pics as I finish the acoustic treatment and start reinstalling my recording equipment. It has been a great learning experience on how to isolate sound from one room to another and make a great recording environment with the space that is given.

dave0549jv Guest

great googly moogly! that's one hell of a project! looks great though man, congrats!

User Info Menu

nucjd, I could tell from your recording advice that you were very experienced in that area. Now I know that for sure! Awesome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have just one word . . . ENVY

Looks Awesome, now when you get it done, there will be sound clips, right?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments guys.

bg, my game plan is make a video tour of my recording studio as well as take everyone through the process of mic'ing, eq'ing and plug ins, processing and final product and let you guys here the difference in sound from playing drums that are being picked up on my camcorder, to drums being tracked dry while recording, to drums being tracked with the plug ins on them to the final product.

There are other parts to my studio rebuild that I forgot to post. Such as we ran a dedicated breaker off of the box to the wall outlets so the power would be the cleanest as possible with no background "noise" in the system. We pulled down the fluorescent lights which create a ton of background noise in the recording chain and put up new incandescent light ing fixtures. We will be doing the same in the tracking room as well. (see below)

To run the cables out to the mic's we have a 4" pvc pipe in the wall near the floor with 90 degree elbows on both sides stuffed with foam that will allow easy access to cables but also stop direct sound waves from entering.

User Info Menu

OMG I think i just got a little excited.

So you coming to my house and doing this for me over christmas, right? Ive been good, I deserve it, its all I want for christmas, how can you tell me NO?

C u about december 22nd then!
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

Wow, 22nd? Only three days??? I might need a little longer

Seriously, It has taken about two months for us to get to this point. My brother and myself are the only people working on this project, and it has to be done on the weekend and at nights. Glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now on to the acoustic treatment. Our game plan.......
    Rock wool is some of the best acoustic treatment out there particularly for a room that is less then 30 feet tall. It is so dense that it absorbs just about everything. We will build open rectangle boxes that will be filled with the sheets of rock wool and then covered with batting and finally covered with micro suede. Micro suede ( polyester) is well known for sound absorption and sound dispersment. Believe it or not, but burlap fabric is excellent as well and does the same thing for a cheaper price.

User Info Menu

O no, u misunderstand. I don't care if it is done by Christmas, that is just when I get out of college for winter break and I can help. It is ok if it is not done by Christmas. I have heard that about rockwool, so many things to do, so little time.

O well, just keep a wishlist going and getting things on the top and adding things at the bottom.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

wow, I'll be following this thread for sure.

Where do you get this rockwool?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Hey CD. It just so happens my brother has a friend who buys it by the train load and this is considered scraps so got an extremely good deal on it.

User Info Menu

Awesome. You have an audience waiting for more updates, please...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Just awesome work! Great looking studio! Good luck and look forward to the video tour!

User Info Menu

Hey guys. I am currently on Vacation in the mountains and my bro is house sitting and continuing the work. Currently he is setting up my racking in my studio table. We are having discussions about where to place the computer in relation to the analog gear. The farther away the better to keep the interference down. AD/DA converters can be noisy as well and the preamps can pick some of that up. But anyway when I get back I will post up pics of the gear installed and the video monitors and audio monitors up. We should be starting on the acoustic treatments this week as well.

User Info Menu

Just one word... WOW!

I am extremely impressed at both your knowledge and your handiwork!

Can't wait to see the finished studio. Just might be cause for a DrumChat compilation album LOL.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Looking good! I know it is going to be a great studio. Can't wait to see it all finished.

User Info Menu

Alright guys, Small update today. My brother and I have finished refitting the rack rails in the studio desk and we place in a few pieces of my equipment in to see how it will fit. This by no means will be the final resting place and I have not placed the rest of my equipment in the rack. My computer and video monitors are not placed into the room yet at this point as I want to get the analog pieces wired up and the cables run cleanly. these pics show my 002R which is modified by Black Lion Audio (Signature Mod). The next unit is an ADA8000 which has been gutted and modified by Black lion Audio as well.The next down are my two Black Lion Audio Auteur preamps ( 4 channels in total). Then my DOD headphone strip is below and finally at the bottom is my Monster Power conditioner.

Last edited by nucjd; 08-03-2010 at 07:49 PM.

User Info Menu

The next images are my set of drum mics. From left to right are Modified Oktava 219s (used for room mics and overheads), Audix D6 (Bass mic), Audix i5 ( Batter snare), Oktava Mk-012 (Modified by Mike Jolly and used for overheads), Audix fusion set ( used for direct tom mics and reso head mic)

The next image is a close up of the Mk-012 showing the different capsules that can be used (Cardioid, Hyper cardioid, Omni Cardioid). IMHO, the best overheads I have EVER used or heard and IMHO again are better sounding then Neuman KM 86.
    Last edited by nucjd; 08-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh and BTW, My brother built the Studio desk and finished it for me. He is very handy.

I should probably walk those of you who are wondering what each piece is and How it interfaces through my setup. the Digi 002R is the Analog/Digital converter and also has preamps and multiple connectivity. This will interface with Pro Tools LE on my computer with a Firewire connection. Pro Tools allows for 48 tracks to record simultaneously. The 002R has 4 built in preamps and 4 line level inputs for a total of eight inputs as well as as a light pipe input allowing 8 more connections as well as SPDF allowing another two more channels. The ADA8000 has 8 XLR inputs and converts to a digital signal as well which is then sent via light pipe to the light pipe input on the 002R. This gives me 16 channels of inputs. The Auteur preamps go to the line level inputs on the 002 so I have four very high end preamps for my overheads, Snare and Base mics.
    Last edited by nucjd; 08-03-2010 at 07:57 PM.

User Info Menu

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Dude, that's simply amazing.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

OK, Update
    My brother and I worked on acoustic treatment today for the control room. One thing you will notice if you stick your head in a corner of the room while someone plays drums there is a massive amount of low frequency build up occurring " Bass build up". Small rectangular rooms will have a huge amount of this problem which translates to cutting that frequency out while mixing in the room to make it sound good. But what problem does this create? Well, You take your mix and stick it in say your car stereo and you have no bass at all. This term is described in the mixing community as " does the mix transport?", meaning can I take the mix and play it in the car, home stereo or anywhere and does it sound good. This is a huge problem with what we do as amateurs. One way to tackle this is making the control/mixing room as dry as possible or from software such as ARC that will analyze the frequency response in the room and adjust for it. So anyway, here is how we built up the corner treatments. We used complex geometry and wasted quite a bit of wood to get the angles correct but once the frame was created we filled them with Rock wool and covered with batting. Then hung in the corners. We also hung some rectangle acoustic treatments we built yesterday.

User Info Menu

The next images show the baffles finished and mounted in the corners as well as the center acoustic treatment mounted.

User Info Menu

Dude, this is awesome. What about the acoustic treatments in the room where the drums are? How much is too much? I'll send you a msg...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Wow, this is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to post the progress. I'm sure you have answered a lot of questions here...and probably raised 100 more!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!